What pocket knife?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Osprey

Forager
Nov 21, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I was wondering what pocket knives the rest of you carry for everyday use (non-bushcraft use).

I always have a SAK on me, but carry another single bladed knife which is for clean tasks and food use, such as cutting up rolls, cheese and fruit at lunchtime.
For years I have used an Opinel, which I think has the best blade for my needs, however this has two drawbacks. Firstly it locks, which makes carrying it everyday risky in the current climate (lunchtime use is not a work-related need !); secondly, on the days when I need to wear smarter trousers for work, I find the Opinel too bulky.

I tried a Marjacq knife, but this turned out to be bulkier than the Opinel. I then bought a Case Sodbuster. This is a good knife, feels comfortable in the pocket and in the hand, but I found the blade too short for cutting apples. Also I prefer old-style knives with wood handles and carbon steel.

Next trial was a lambsfoot from A Wright & Sons of Sheffield. Nice traditional knife, 2.5 inch carbon steel blade and rosewood handle, but again too short for apple slicing !

Most recent trial is a rosewood lambsfoot knife by Trevor Ablett of Sheffield. This has a 3 inch carbon steel blade, is very nicely finished and is quite slim so it fits in the pocket neatly. I have only just got this one and I am still evaluating it, so far I think it fits the bill.

I have found it difficult finding more traditional knives for sale here, I prefer carbon steel blades and wood or bone handles, and I don't want the bother of importing stuff from the States. Most shops and internet sites seem to be full of more modern looking knives, which is not really what I'm into !

I was wondering what suggestions you folk can come up with for a neat, single blade, 3 inch slipjoint.

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1915&limit=recent

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I just got these two Queen knives yesterday and they are very nice. Smooth and tight. The top one has a liner lock to back up the slip joint. Very safe design.

queenhoneylinerlock1c.jpg

queenhoneyslimline1c.jpg

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I tend to carry my Spyderco UKPK which is a legal everyday carry. The UKPK tends to cost a few £ but wil last for ever and is a great alternative to a locking folder (its a slip joint btw).

I would not carry anything with a lock for the reasons you mentioned, plus "i use it for my lunch" just wont cut it these days :(

but yeah a UKPK is a belting knife just pop over to www.britishblades.com and do a search.

:D

bent-stick

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
surrey
www.customarchery.net
I have an Opi6 and a gerber multitool.

I used to carry a SAK climber but that is in my emergency kit. I can't justify both that and the gerber and the pliers are too useful to keep at home.

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
i carry a victorinox climber all the time apart from school lol, they wouldnt be to happy about me carrying a knife
leon

D

Deleted member 4605

Same here - always have SAK or two on me, or my Gerber multitool. At home my Mora is never far away either.

Bhod

Forager
Feb 2, 2007
North Tyneside
On a day to day basis I generally carry a Victorinox SAK "Rucksack" Model with the locking blade squirrelled away out of harms reach in the bottom of my daypack and I also carry a Victorinox SAK "Classic SD" on my keyring.

michiel

Settler
Jun 19, 2006
Belgium - Herentals
I always carry a SAK around. It's either a climber or a huntsman. I don't think it's too bulky. I used to carry leathermans in my pocket and never had any trouble with it. It was still comfy.

Michiel

Bhod said:
On a day to day basis I generally carry a Victorinox SAK "Rucksack" Model with the locking blade squirrelled away out of harms reach in the bottom of my daypack and I also carry a Victorinox SAK "Classic SD" on my keyring.

this range is great i have used the Hunter for a very long time (15yrs ish) and its got me out the sticky stuff on more than one ocassion had the main spring break a few years ago and was replaced FOC with a new one :D

but is not legal every day carry as it locks and is just over 3"

its actually easy to remove the lock but im not happy the spring is good enough

and it would be easy to grind 3mm of the length still giving the better longer handle and saw etc maybe Victorinox could make a legal carry one for UK :D

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
I carry on of these little fella's and get on with it very well!

cityknife

EDIT: I should have said this is the 'City Knife' Designed by R.W.Loveless and made by Lone Wolf Knives.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
For my rare trips into the city I carry a Dutch issue Victorinox Soldier a mate gave me from his national service days. It does the job, is UK legal and no nasty red plastic scales to break.

The rest of the time its either a Leatherman Ti or a Victorinox Trailmaster. I'm waiting for the one hand opening main blade German Army versions of the latter to come on the surplus market (don't know their official name) as I can't justify buying one new!

Oh! and a SAK Classic on my keys.

ATB

Tom

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Can't say its tooo weird ...and not at all Bushcrafty......however...Bushwacker Bob called in this evening for a gossip and is going to try rehandling it for me...so I may post a pic when its more respectable.

It is, however a scandy ground folding knife - and there aren't many!

Red

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
knives.jpg
[/IMG]
I use the small penknife a lot, in preference to scissors at work (im left-handed and using right handed scissors is a pain) I made the fixed blade after seeing another like it on the forum and love using it for carving etc.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
I know you boys are not supposed to carry a fixed pocket, but I could not live without this one from Ingram.

ingramgwb0651lh4.jpg

My common UK-OK pocket is a Victorinox Farmer.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
I carry a Victorinox Driver model with me everywhere I go, including school. My university is pretty casual and no-one seems to mind if I sharpen my pencils with it. To be flat out honest, as soon as I put on a pair of trousers I slip the SAK into my left pocket. It does everything I ask it to do and more. I really don't think that there is a better knife for day to day use than a SAK. And I mean that. If a company has been making a knife for well over a hundred years and that knife has been everywhere from Mt. Annapurna to the South Pole and their quality control never ceases to amaze buyers, I'd say that that company knows exactly what it's doing.

Adam

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Well, if you like the sodbuster design and wooden handles, you might check out the Brown Mules made by Kissing Crane. You can get them in a larger size than the Case.

brownmules1c.jpg

These are dandy slips. Cheap too. Unfortunately I don't know if they are still in production.

Osprey

Forager
Nov 21, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Thanks Guys ! :You_Rock_

A lot of great suggestions there. I particularly like those Kissing Crane Brown Mules, Hoodoo. Can anyone tell me if you can get them in the UK?
I'm envious of you guys in the States as you can get hold of some really nice knives.
All the best,
Doug.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE