What people think about knives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Should we ban knifes

• Total voters
Jun 26, 2009
Bolsover
I dont know if any one has braught this up but what do we a group think of knives?

The media says they are bad and should all be banned then there would be no more stabbings, but if you look at the type of knife used in said attacks then you will see that they are every day cooking knifes, which are available in EVERY supermarket nationwide.

During my research of early man I found numerous quotes and this was my favourite,

"early man lived in the uk from 10,000 bc, to him a knife was a prized tool that he used for every day tasks such as carving and preparing food"

as the quote says, a knife is a tool, not a weapon, so why today do we believe that knifes are bad, it is not the knife that kills or mames it is the idiot that is using it for the wrong purpose, there is no way that knifes could possibly be banned as they are used in so many fields that unfortunatly campainers have no knowledge of. It is not only the idiots that need educating about knives it is also the missinformed campainers that need educating too.

I think our members should vote as to weather they would ban knifes

YES
NO

Jaysurfer

Settler
Dec 18, 2008
Somerset, UK
Think you preaching to the converted and perverted when it comes to knives here Antonio.
This is a Bushcraft forum don't forget so i'd be surprised if anyone on here does not have a knife and who does not see it as a tool and not a weapon.

To say you think members should vote if we would ban knives is in my opinion comical as if we chose to ban knives we would have trouble doing what we love doing (80% of Bushcraft things).

If anyone does vote for a complete ban on knives then I would ask what they are doing on this forum....?

A knife is only a weapon when in the wrong hands.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
you should probebly set this as a POLL rather then just a thread, but the majority on here will tell you that knives are indeed tools, yet at some point early man found they make excellent weapons too.
its the same as the american's NRA (national rifle association) says, "Guns don't kill people, people do".
this is a simple fact that if you ban the gun people will still kill. something this kneejerk society has not got into its head.
i see knives as a tool, when i'm out and about its for cutting things and carving, for food prep. in the home for food prep, although the wife may use one as a screwdriver...

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
knives are TOOLS - why on earth should they be banned?

It's the idiots that use them for other means that should be banned....... from public, for life!!

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Not sure that I have read any media suggestions that all knives should be banned, how are we going to cook our onions if we do?

1 Yes obviously knives are tools.

2 There is a problem with inner city your carrying and using knives on each other, and yes most are kitchen knives but those of us who enjoy using knives as tools should not turn our back on that problem or pretend it is not there. I don't know what the answer is but if it could be sorted easily I am sure it would have been before now.

Jun 26, 2009
Bolsover
I know this is a bush craft site, thats why I polled the question, this is possibly the best place to put a question like this, as there are so many people who can actually put up a vallied arguement as to why knifes are not the problem but people are.

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
I'm ambivalent about the poll, so I haven't voted.

I would say though that there's a level of interest in knives on this site which makes me slightly uncomfortable. My impression is that getting on for 50% of postings are about knives.

Jim

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I'm ambivalent about the poll, so I haven't voted.

I would say though that there's a level of interest in knives on this site which makes me slightly uncomfortable. My impression is that getting on for 50% of postings are about knives.

Jim
I get that on some car forums, where quite a lot of people post about spanners and gauges, there are even some hard core sites that post about their huge snap-ons

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
I typed a nice long response but I don't think I can say anything on the subject I've not said plenty before, so I'll simply say: Knife crime is a social problem, not a legal one, and lawmakers will therefore do little/nothing to mend it. If you think that an entire nation should be punished for the crimes of a few, then batter in, but you should also ban cars, pillows, rope, walking near a cliff, any form of hand-tool, cutlery, sports equipment - in fact, let's say anything that a person is physically able to pick up, and is not covered in a thick layer of foam! And reproductive organs, of course, must also be banned. That started out simpler than it ended up :eek:

Pete

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I do think there is a slightly obsessive worship of knives on this forum. At the end of the day they are just tools but I guess some of us like to get the best tools for the job and a few of us appreciate a certain aesthetic too.

As for a ban on knives it's unworkable and pointless too.

How do you ban something that many people use in their every day work?

What is the point of making them illegal when, by definition, criminals break the law anyway?

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
But I'll bet there are far less posts on car forums about spanners, than there are on this site about knives!

Jim

Ive never seen a beautiful spanner! I think the aesthetics of knives are pleasing, but yeah, they are still just a tool to make things with , the emphasis should be on the things the knife helps us produce.

Jaysurfer

Settler
Dec 18, 2008
Somerset, UK
Well next time you're being a 'real bushcrafter' and preparing a meal for a group of people and using your teeth for the food prep take some pics and let us know what response you get from that group when they see u skinning a rabbit with ur teeth, gutting it, chewing up the veg and spitting it back out into the pot ready for cooking ect, ect.....

Knives are for the weak.

Real bushcrafters use their teeth.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Waylands last point says it all really, i read somewhere there are more gun crimes now than when they were alot more easily available to the general public, in other words illegal guns used by criminals, the vast majority of knife crime in this country seems to be inner city gang members either killing each other,or going out ''tooled up'' looking for trouble, i really cant see how that can be linked to a guy on his own camping for example in the North west of Scotland using a knife to cut cord,wood for a shelter or fuel,etc.

Jaysurfer

Settler
Dec 18, 2008
Somerset, UK
You don't get many posts on here with people saying how amazing a mass produced knife is....
Generally the posts on knives are about hand crafted tools that have taken time and care to make.
Something that looks truely attractive in a knife, it's shape, it's finish and as a group of likeminded people i think we are all able to appreciate such an object and treat the knife and maker with the respect they deserve and comment on the work done and product produced.

Some knives may just be tools but some are also products of hard work, care and attention that can be used and kept and the owner can be proud of.

Life is not about possessions but people who generqally care for the tools and objects they have and use tend to take pride in them and like to talk about them.
It is the same for knives as it is for cars, paintings, antiques ect ect

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE