What people think about knives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Should we ban knifes

• Total voters

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
A friend sent me this quote the other day,

" I know the voices in my head aren't real...........but sometimes they have some damned good ideas ! "

cheers,
M

tenderfoot

Nomad
May 17, 2008
north west uk
i see a lot of injuries some from knives, some from hands and feet used as weapons.
i see alot of injuries from baseball bats (very nasty). Since Britain is not traditionally a baseball playing country and you do not see baseball being played on waste ground like in the U.S. why does anyone need a baseball bat in the U.K.? why dont we ban these before banning useful tools?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Red please promise everyone that you will never ever hit anything with that beauty:Wow:
Not mine sadly - just a selection of Ceggas steel mastery - I like looking at his more unusual stuff. His Damsteel rifle barrels are amazing!

smoggy

Forager
Mar 24, 2009
North East England
Bit of a silly question to ask on this forum, in fact it is my opinion that it's a silly question to ask on any forum! As has been stated, knives a re tools and are used all over the world everyday by virtually everyone. They are a tool as we all know........it's not the media or the authorities who continually come up with this banning idea....it's well meaning fools! They look at the statistics and missunderstand them (they are for sharp instruments, which do not have to be knives) or they have been a victim or reletive of, of a knife crime.
Banning knives (as if one could) will do nothing to relieve these statistics, banning anything never solves the problem it merely prevents those who do not abuse a tool, activity or right from persueing an activity in a responsible and law abiding manor. Banning guns is a prime example of this not working, more illegal gun use and ownership than ever and those who did use them responsibly have suffered.....our olympic team now have to go France to practice....will there be target shooting in London in 2012 and if so how will that morally justified given the populus of this country cannot normally indulge in this sport?
Vehicals have been banned from greenlanes because they damage them, when in fact it's missuse by others that and no maintainance that leads to this damage, will still continues after the legitimate responsible recreational users have had their rights removed.
I'm sure other can find more examples of bans that have not served the intended purpose but ultimately impinged on the rest of us to exercise our rights, and indead there has recently been a report on the news concerning "alcohol bans"..........
I have not voted in your poll as it is my firm belief that the only thing that should be banned, is those that call for bans!

Smoggy

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
Vehicals have been banned from greenlanes because they damage them, when in fact it's missuse by others that and no maintainance that leads to this damage

Good news that vehicles have been banned - a couple of years ago I found some parts of The Ridgeway almost impassable from vehicle ruts! So, who are the 'others' that cause the damage, if it's not vehicles? It's difficult to imagine walkers leaving foot deep parallel ruts!

I'm not sure what you mean by 'no maintenance' leading to damage!

Jim

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I'm not sure what you mean by 'no maintenance' leading to damage!

Jim
If you don't maintain and renew the Tarmac, then the green ane will have four foot deep ruts, so it pays to maintain the tarmac or tarmac the greenlanes if they are not already. if you don't, then its not the fault of the 4x4 drivers for churning up the mud:rolleyes:

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
I dont know if any one has braught this up but what do we a group think of knives?

The media says they are bad and should all be banned then there would be no more stabbings, but if you look at the type of knife used in said attacks then you will see that they are every day cooking knifes, which are available in EVERY supermarket nationwide.

During my research of early man I found numerous quotes and this was my favourite,

"early man lived in the uk from 10,000 bc, to him a knife was a prized tool that he used for every day tasks such as carving and preparing food"

as the quote says, a knife is a tool, not a weapon, so why today do we believe that knifes are bad, it is not the knife that kills or mames it is the idiot that is using it for the wrong purpose, there is no way that knifes could possibly be banned as they are used in so many fields that unfortunatly campainers have no knowledge of. It is not only the idiots that need educating about knives it is also the missinformed campainers that need educating too.

I think our members should vote as to weather they would ban knifes

YES
NO

You may as well ban screwdrivers as well, oh and cars etc. I think for myself not as a group, we are not the collective !!:D :D :lmao: :lmao: :slap: :slap: Banning knives is not the answer imo, it's just that the media pick up on it more now than ever before.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
This is so much a political landmine.

My opinion is - No, knives should not be banned, the law should come down on anyone using a knife for something that endangers other people or their possessions without permission (the possessions) The law is adequate, more than really, it just needs enforcing.

People have gone on about the Poll enough so i'll not further that.

Knives are tools, and they're excellent for what they're designed for.

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
That is cool but to be honest, i have that wrecked, putting a fence up in the garden if you want to leand me it to put it through its paces!!!!!

I try to buy the best tools so they last a life time, but i just read my plain old steel hammers are out of date, titanium is all the rage nowadays!!!!!

Not my hands - Ceggas ...his damascus just leaves me breathless

How about his hammers?

IMG_3613.jpg

Why?

Well...why not?

We love our knives and axes - I'm sure others love their tools too!

Red

D

Deleted dude 7861

I get that on some car forums, where quite a lot of people post about spanners and gauges, there are even some hard core sites that post about their huge snap-ons

10/10 for that comment made me laugh :lmao::lmao:

And BR please stop posting Damascus steel pics it's making me dribble....:D I'm afraid I might have an accident :lmao:

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
I'm ambivalent about the poll, so I haven't voted.

I would say though that there's a level of interest in knives on this site which makes me slightly uncomfortable. My impression is that getting on for 50% of postings are about knives.

Jim

I completely agree. People frequently define each other on this site through which knife/knives they own.

Sometimes it all gets a bit 'Topgear'!

'And on that bombshell...'

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I say ban 'em! Get 'em out of the country. I got an idea! Ship 'em to the US!! :240:

Give us your poor, your tired, your huddled masses longing to be free. Your knives... :D

:grouphug:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE