What knife and carry for an ambush predator?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sirex

Forager
Nov 20, 2008
bournemouth
i know its not *stictly* a knife, but surely if your going to get into hand to hand combat with a big preditor a chainsaw is the only way to go ? Prefferably taken into combat with a battle cry.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
could not find the tiger saw but i gues you mean something like this.....

.....might be a bit bulky to carry....but it'd get the job done....Yes the perfect anti ambush tool ;)

:grouphug: I think we found the answer (sorry to OP for extracting the michael)

Silly me. A bit of googling indicates that what is called "tigersåg" in Swedish is called reciprocating saw in English. But the same googling expedition indicated that makita makes a cordless chainsaw. Now that would be *the* (silly)choice. Just have to remove the silly point guard...

1591984_lg.jpg

Chance

Nomad
May 10, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I am beginning to think that this is what is needed
Looking at your original post, hasn't the choice come down to:
- Where can I reach?
- What will reasonably fit there?
- Is that what the locals have learnt to use?
Referring back to wreck diving, keeping it high (realistically, a shoulder strap if you don't go for the spear=lobby hook option) puts it in reach.

:togo:

Anyway...regarding the area you're in and the wildlife (iirc)

- elephants vrs knife would do you not much good. Maybe a mahout (elephant handler) can teach you some tricks but....
- tiger / leopard vrs knife .... mmm false sense of security, would opt for the face on the back and working in pairs or a spear type thing (told you about Cold Steel :p)
- snakes...well don't tread on them, leave them alone; this should be enough (otherwise your parang should do)
- makaques (spelling?) Unfriendly monkeys with a nasty bite: Parang
- Rhino: eeh.... see elephant
- Any thing I missed?

Reminded me of a visit around Sengai Kinabatanga in Sabah with Lan trying to track wild elephants whilst bare chested and bare footed thru the jungle following Mogli (Lan)... Not the smartest thing I ever did. We heard the elephants, saw the tracks (stepped in them) but never saw them....

We did manage wild Orang Utan though :red::headbang:

Good luck Ash and hope to meet up some day...

Grtz Johan

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
if your in australia then the only thing i would worry about would be crocodiles, in which case there isnt much you can possibly do to fight one off, and venomous snakes, in which case i would watch my step.

Stonedog

Jan 6, 2006
The colonies, Kentucky
For me in the US, the first thing I would want would be a side arm. Not having that, I would want a a stout boar spear, but you asked about a blade.

I would want my 12" bladed parang that I made myself. 1/4" thick 5160 with a hemp wrapped leather backed handle, full complete tang. Nice a grippy even if wet or cold.

Not that good for sticking but a pure chopper. Here in Kentucky it is the two legged predators that I am wary of, not the for legged variety....and a big knife can be intimidating.....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE