Why an axe and a fixed blade knife?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
This was a nice wood prep Kukri

078.jpg

worst you'd do to a hatchet is need a new handle

In my experience Condors need alot of TLC before they are up to the job

lovely little project pieces but out the box tools they are not

Last edited:

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
If the condor kukri is like the my nessmuk all it will need is a sharpen, removing the grey gack on the blade is optional but hard work.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I understand so its quoted as on another forum

to be honest you can find pretty much any broken too

heres an axe

Picture228.jpg

purely coincidence its another CS I wasn't looking for them - just for potential failures to balance my post

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida

078.jpg

Granted, these CAN be broken too, but generally a Panawal (full tang khukuri) such as this is more robust:

world-war-in-panawal_154.jpg

Spaniel man

Native
Apr 28, 2007
Somerset

078.jpg

worst you'd do to a hatchet is need a new handle

To be fair, Cold Steel make a few different kukri style blades, and I think that one is one of their 'kukri machetes' (and fails on both points) It is nothing like their heavy duty ones, which are excellent. (I've had both) There is a massive price difference though.

I've got, had, and used most choppy things over the years, machetes, parangs, khukuris, billhooks etc, and it's down to personal choice really. If if you can do a good job safely with a tool that may not be the accepted norm, then that's all good. I don't get on with billhooks for example, even for coppicing and hedge laying. Can't stand the things, but there's a lot of guys around here that are absolute demons with them. I like axes for wood processing around the farm, but they are too heavy and bulky for me to be carrying them around in a rucksack. I don't really feel the need to have big fires when I'm out in the woods anyway.
Funnily enough, I've gone full circle with my 'out in the woods' tools. Back in the 80's I used to use a big old khukuri that I 'liberated' from my grandad's shed and a swiss army knife. I never got on with the survival knives that were the norm at the time. Had a few, broke them all! Of course that was all pointed out to be completely wrong with the 'invention' of bushcrafting, where you had to have a 4 inch sharpened crowbar and a saw that looks like a penknife. ;)
Nowadays, my go to tools are.... you guessed it, a small kukri, and a swiss army knife! Slightly newer versions granted, but I guess you stick with what you are happy with.
IMG_2995_zpsc9c8d52c.jpg
[/URL]

Last edited:

Tagaeri

Jan 20, 2014
West Cornwall
maybe not but its quoted as a ColdSteel LTC Kukri which was what the OP was talking about

Wow, can't believe they managed to break an LTC kukri! I used mine for weeks/months at a time in Ecuador, Belize and the UK and barely put a ding in it... They are expensive, but you get what you pay for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrFrido

Jul 5, 2013
Reggio Emilia Italy
I think that this axe trend is mostly convention/fashion. sure, hatchets are less treatening, are maybe lightweight and take less space, but there's nothing they can do that a small billhook/kukri cannot do. I own several axes and billhooks the type used in northern italy, which have not changed in style for maybe 2 thousand years. For the size, a small hatchet, say a 40 cm 500 gr one, has more or less equal penetration than a 4 mm thick, 30 cm billhook. plus, with the billhook you can grab dead branches from the ground or pull logs, you can clear saplings and brushes and thick grasses, dig roots, and also act as a big knife.
How much wood we need to chop during a trip, anyway?
I also own a kukri, a 5 mm thick, full tang one made by Fox, and even if not nepalese made, is a great chopper and nice tool, I say on par with an hatchet.
In a bush, or in the woods, I would take a small billhook and a folding knife.

Well had some gardening to do yesterday as we had redone our front Fence (on to a Field for sheep so stock fenced ) so had to take out some Hazel and a hawthorn to get a nice run of rails

My silky Big boy was most usfull getting out he branches and stems up to 3-4" but we got the chainsaw out to speed up the hawthorn at 10-12" and cut out he big main bits

this left a pile of branches to deal with so out came my Test Parang which had been to Guana for 6 weeks jungle use by a Discovery film team Medic
this is the only one in the first batch witht he Chris Grant bird Beak left on
other than a quick light sharpen to take the Coating off the edge it was never touched again for the trip and still sharp

Heres about half the Brush i had to sort as i only thought about photos half way thro

paragardenc700.jpg

and after still no sharpening needed

Pile of brush for bonfire cut small to pack and burn well a Pile of bigger logs for camp fires in the garden and a good handfull of Hazel bean sticks

paragardena700.jpg

paragardend600.jpg

very easy to use very little fatigue no hot spots the long reach made it a lot easier to use than a Billhook for this general work and you would not have used an axe

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE