What Item next for Group Buy?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Unfortunately, even with a discount of 10% on a group buy of 20+ units, the postage to send them out to everyone would make doing Autan a no go'er, would make more sense to buy the bottle from the site as individuals, or getting them from a local shop. Not asked the Smidge people yet on their stance on group buys.

Yes, carriage is always going to be a problem for smaller items. It might work if there was an upcoming meet and everybody in the group was going. If I'd had a sack of insect repellent bottles at North Wood last weekend they'd have sold like hot cakes. :)

Lurch

Native
Aug 9, 2004
Cumberland
www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk
A group buy on the Exped Downmats would be nice.

Demand tends to exceed supply at this time of year for Exped mats.
The importers don't do volume discount, so all a retailer can offer is to take a hit on the margin which isn't likely to be attractive enough to pull in buyers who wouldn't have otherwise considered a purchase. So all a group buy achieves for the retailer is lowered margin plus a little goodwill.
The best candidates for group buys are items not normally sold in the UK IMO.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
We could buy 20 bottles of Autan from here ...

http://www.thehealthcounter.com/view/detail/969

£2.49 a pop and free delivery on orders over £40

Should come in around £3.30 'ish a bottle including delivery.

:D I sent them an email, they'll give us a further 10% off, if order is over 20 units, however a quick use of royal mails postage doodaa, says it's around 1.72 to post a bottle out, not including a decent jiffy bag. I'd really question the saving of about 50p or so to the hassle of a group buy.. Going down town and buying locally is about 4quid something for a bottles. Buying directly from them, as individuals is only a smidgen more expensive. Shame as I was hoping this would have worked out better, however compared to Smidge's prices they are a bargain.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I appreciate what Lurch has said ,However I'm still prepared to investigate a possible group but of Expeds if those interested parties could clarify which model they were after.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
:D I sent them an email, they'll give us a further 10% off, if order is over 20 units, however a quick use of royal mails postage doodaa, says it's around 1.72 to post a bottle out

Ah that's a shame, I was expecting around 80p postage but it was a total guess mind.

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
Why did someone have to go and mention the Expeds.... 5 minutes ago I had not heard of them & now I really want one... I would be up for a GB on that if one gets off the ground

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
As Lurch said, go for something we can't get easily in the UK, maybe some US army surplus. Things like the USAF Pilots flasks work out at about £3 UK delivered so about £3.75 posted on to members, poly pro base layers are way cheaper in the US too; US canteen, metal mug, metal stove and cover work out at about £9 delivered (when on offer).

My favourite site is here, its a one man operation but a nice bloke who runs the show. http://wardenssupplyco.com/cart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=4&sort=20a&page=3

rowen

Jul 8, 2004
Derbyshire
Last edited:

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Guys who have expressed an interest in a possible Exped Mat, I'll let this thread run on for a little longer before taking any sort of action to , hopefully get numbers up. I will then contact you via PM and provide a link to the item I'll attempt to source to ensure we are all singing from the same Hymn sheet.

Another possible GB idea ; - Silky Pocket Boy Saws?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE