What Item next for Group Buy?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Just wondering if it worth attempting to do the Group Buys the other way around? Using the benefit of a group buy to get some discount on some defined items is a good move.

If enough people specify the same item we will be able to take it from there.
So if your going to suggest something and its not instantly recognizable , please post a link to it and any info along with your suggestion.

So , what item would you wish to see come up as a possible group buy?? Please be specific with your suggestions.

Last edited:

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Now give me next weeks lottery numbers.!

At work they run a group lottery entry. Each week, one person is asked to choose the numbers for the entry. One day, quite a few years ago now, they asked me to choose.

I should explain that I'm what many of you would probably call a boffin. It's not something I'm very proud of (being a boffin) but I have a first class honours degree in engineering, and I was the only person ever to get full marks on all the examination papers (I'm quite proud of that; I did it again on the Collision Regs exam for my Yachtmaster's certificate -- I just happen to have a good memory, most of the time). Lord Pilkington handed me my degree certificate at a huge ceremony with us all wearing gowns and hoods and looking like jerks. We'd rehearsed it beforehand (without him) but on the Big Day he totally flummoxed me by saying "You made sure of that!" as he gave the scroll to me and I completely forgot where I was supposed to go next. "Oops!", he said, as I set off in the wrong direction on the stage with a couple of thousand people watching. Anyway, enough of all that, the point is I know more than most people about mathematics and probabilities because I spent many years studying that stuff.

So I wrote down the numbers for that week's group lottery entry. I wrote

1 2 3 4 5 6

and handed it over.

"Well they're not going to win!" chorused everybody.

"That's right," I said, "but they've got the same chance as any other set of numbers."

"Why put them down if you know they're not going to win?", somebody said.

"Because it's obvious that my numbers aren't going to win.", I said.

They haven't asked me since. :)

My vote for a group buy: Alfredo's lovely parangs.

Last edited:

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Indeed, the best way to ensure you are never asked to do something again is to make such a pigs ear of it that they avoid asking at all costs. I was once ask to volunteer to go on a hobby cooks course before embarking off to Cyprus for 6 months. With little choice ( read no choice in the matter, regardless me cooking skills amounted to toast making level 1) My first attempt at cooking for about 20 of the lads, was greated with.. mixed responses. Never gain did they ask me to knock up some raw taters etc.. :)

Hmm, Exped Downmats sound like a plan indeed, or midgey repellent... :D

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I don't know ( as in only Alfredo can answer that ) if a group buy on craftsman made items would work?..,I think ( maybe wrong ) there would be little to no room for discount ( which tends to be the raison d'etre for a GB ) as each item would require the same attention by the individual craftsman. And it may not appeal to an artisan to replicate x10 units as that would be a little boring?.

I imagined this thread would work best if we could identify a common mass produced item that tends to have an individual higher cost ( you won't get credible difference from a £10.00 item ) that would allow all members of the GB to gain a saving but also allow the trader/seller to make a profit.
It has to be a win-win situation, if a seller for a GB know he can shift on say 20 units of exped mats for a smaller profit margin at minimal risk and exposure they , I believe , are more likely to play ball.

So in my mind , it has to be a mass produced higher costing item to enable a saving to happen.

Thoughts?

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Sorry JonathanD, Can't talk at the moment , I've got my foot in my mouth......

:sulkoff:

( You have a link for that? I thought he only did single pieces..Obviously not.)

slammer187

Nomad
Jul 11, 2009
Ireland
Perhaps contact a company such as a textiles company or whatever and have something like clothing made for us *cough* Polycotton Anorak or Tipi or tarp *cough* :)
Or get a stove design or any custom gear made!
I'd also vote for a group buy from DD Hammocks or a Therm-A-rest group buy or an Exped Downmat!

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
not half ged! how was the ride back on sunday with your swollen hands?

Count me in!

Unfortunately, even with a discount of 10% on a group buy of 20+ units, the postage to send them out to everyone would make doing Autan a no go'er, would make more sense to buy the bottle from the site as individuals, or getting them from a local shop. Not asked the Smidge people yet on their stance on group buys.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
...how was the ride back on sunday with your swollen hands?

About as pleasant as the A38 can be on a Sunday and the hands were no trouble at all Lee, thanks for asking. Once I got in my mozzie proof tent and the little blighters stopped feasting on me the swelling started to go down quite fast, so I could get my gloves on in the morning which was the thing that most concerned me for riding back.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE