What is your prefered method of suspending you billy Above a fire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sticks65

Forager
Mar 18, 2007
Caer-lerion
I would like to know what everyone preferred method of suspending there billycan,pots over there camp fires.

Photos or illustrations would be good:)

I mainly use the crane type method.

025-3.jpg

005-1-1.jpg

Last edited:

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I use a "S" shaped pothanger, and some hemp cordage (3 mm good quality stuff IIRC). Made with two branched pieces, a scarf joint and a wrapping, by wrapping more or less of the long cord around the top I can quickly adjust the height above the flames.

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
Hi Sticks,
It depends largely on whether I'm on my own or in a group, where I plan to go and what type of dixies I'm using. I have an array of pots but the most often used are a set with handles on the sides, what began life as a tea caddy for tea-making (holds 2 cups water) and Tatonkas with a hanging bale, and I mix and match.

I quite often find myself in a treeless environment, where dry peat can hopefully be found in summer. In such places my fire will be on sand or gravel beside a stream and dixies will sit beside or on top, perched on peat blocks or rocks. Failing that, there's my petrol stove or a Benghazi Burner(also useful for getting peat to start smouldering).

The ex-tea caddy has a close fitting lid and goes straight into the embers; fast & efficient:

The side handle dixies sit on rocks beside the fire & over embers.

The Tatonkas will either hang on a crane type, as you have illustrated, adjustable by multiple tongue and groove and a second pot, if needed, will stand by the fire. I've had issues in the past with trying to hang 2 pots on 1 crane. A lost fire isn't worth the hassle.

If feeding more than 2 people with multiple pots, I'll use a cross-bar on double A-frame, or tripod arrangement and try to position side branches for adjustment. It can work quite well but I don't do it often enough to approach the task in a consistent manner.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I don't have a preferred method, just use whatever I feel like on the day...

Adjustable height hanger
Fathersdaycampingtrip-June2007128.jpg

Tripod on Scout camp
SDC14087.jpg

Home made gypsy hanger
Middlewood-Feb2010mininmeet018.jpg

But these days, I mainly use the cross bars over the fire tray...
Middlewood-Feb2010mininmeet007.jpg

...or my Honey Stove
SDC16770.jpg

Simon

Last edited:

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
I generate a force field which suspends the billy can in a stationary hover.

I use a stainless steel bail wire.

Only one of these statements is true...
happy0054.gif

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
Old chains from hanging baskets are wonderful items, I need to get one but a good friend uses a piece and it is very handy. You can suspend the chain on a tripod or drop stick, tea stick or whatever you want to call it. Nails are good too, but be careful you don't upset the pot into the fire.

dasy2k1

Nomad
May 26, 2009
Manchester
i would like a billy that i can suspend above a fire... unfortunatly i dont have any with hanging loops!. so they tend to sit on the fire (on a metal bar if i can get one)
if anyone can recomend a good cheap source of suspendible billies....

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Morrisons and Wilkos do some stainless pots for a few quid each. Drill a couple of holes in them, add a brake cable bail arm and put an electrical screw block on the ends of the cable.

Alternatively you can use some metal coat hanger and just bend the ends over, a bit more noisy but works just as well.

ananix

Tenderfoot
Apr 24, 2010
Denmark
I rarely keep it suspended unless i make a campsite and brought camping ketle pots and pans, most time im just tramping and put my waterboiler/cup (the one in the front) on some logs, if no logs are avaible i use rocks and if no rocks are availble (cities and parks) i use my espit folding stove (small version) and feet it what i have or find.

Jaegerbaal_01.jpg

Cooking over a "hunters fire", as we call this type of campfire.

Last edited:

sticks65

Forager
Mar 18, 2007
Caer-lerion
I rarely keep it suspended unless i make a campsite and brought camping ketle pots and pans, most time im just tramping and put my waterboiler/cup (the one in the front) on some logs, if no logs are avaible i use rocks and if no rocks are availble (cities and parks) i use my espit folding stove (small version) and feet it what i have or find.

Jaegerbaal_01.jpg

Cooking over a "hunters fire", as we call this type of campfire.
Yep i tried that method and it works well.:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE