Where and when?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harold Godwinson

Tenderfoot
Mar 11, 2023
Cornwall
I have been scanning the threads but cant find anything so thought I'd ask - where and when?

Where do you bushcraft

When do you bushcraft?

Do you use private land or pubic sites? If the later do you stealth camp or play another game plan?

When do you do it? Are you a weekly or monthly overnighter? fair weather bushcrafter or just a day bimbler?

Myself, I have to use public land, primarily Dartmoor which is OK and wild camping is allowed. Although obvious constraints are made on what I can do, carry etc. I also use a few wooded areas dotted around the place, one private and the others forestry England sites. If I stay there over night it has to be in stealth mood which I enjoy and obviously I never leave a trace in the morning. I (like most people I would guess) would love to have access to private land or own my own site but as yet that's still just a pipe dream.

When, I make a rule of going out overnighting once a month no matter what the weather, mainly due to a packed diary of work etc. I do a lot of bimbles too, generally as an excuse to walk the dogs but I always factor in some skills drills, navigation or fire lighting or a bit of whittling however the mood takes me.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I like to live simply, so the bushcraft and other skills I have learned are woven into everyday life.
I forage, make stuff and love to just get out into my locality and watch nature, make a cuppa on one of my stoves and generally be in the wild, even if it's not remote wilderness. I'm lucky to have two rivers nearby, and many paths and woods to explore. But I do much at home too.
I hunt constantly, bringing home things I can use, yesterday netted some newspapers for the fire, a wild foraged salad and some abandoned bricks to edge a new bed I'm attempting to make out of a bramble and nettle patch in the garden. There are enough brambles and nettles around without needing them in the garden.!
It's a way of life, rather than an activity I "do" I've been making cordage this morning from the overgrown nettles I cut and processed last autumn when I decided to tackle the area. I will use this to tie up things in the veg patch like canes for peas and beans. Just one example of how I use "bushcrafting" skills in my daily life.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Our little band of friends have access to two sites - both on private land - where we can play. The site I organise meets on is just a few hundred yards from my house, so I can visit almost every day, while the other site is more remote. On both sites we have permission to make semi permanent structures such as fire places and wood stores etc and we tend to visit one or other site every month or so for a couple of nights. Bushcraft also forms part of my "income streams" as I teach "Ancestral skills" and practice various Iron and Stone -age skills for my work with Pembrokeshire Coast National Park and my occasional private sessions of teaching Bushcraft to local tourists are based at a local campsite. Bushcraft skills are also utilised in my every day life as they can often save me spending money (foraging for nuts, berries and food plants in season, wood for carving projects and firewood ... you get the idea ...) and I hate to spend money without REALLY having to!

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Anyone who comes into my home and sees all the various pieces of wood stacked up, the tools on the wall and the wood shaving on the floor will know that you can be an indoors "bushcrafter" as much as an outdoors one. It depends what you mean by bushcraft. I am a maker of things out of natural materials, so I can leather craft and wood craft at home. I have an allotment where I can practice all sorts of other stuff including hedge laying and building shelters, and I manage a small piece of waste land where I plant trees, clear undergrowth, pile up brash for wildlife to shelter, maintain ditches and try to deter people from abusing it. You won't find me stealth camping, because you won't find me :)

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
My avocation ( Archaeology) still gets the frantic call to guide digital age graduate students to recorded sites I found a half century ago with a compass, map and lots of ground pounding.
Then I hear concerns about my ability to hike that far, see the stares at my also dated canvas, leather and steel rucksack. ‘Why is your hiking stick soooo long and what do you use a knife for? I ask if they remember Robin Hood’s first encounter with Little John? One asked if they were rap stars? The knife? I cut things with it. Then,I set up my gear and brew a cuppa and watch the psychedelic colored dome ( dumb) tents misassembled.
That, is my bushcraft lately.
Santa Monica Mountains, High Desert, sometimes under a L A freeway cloverleaf

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
——and growing. ‘ more drug and mental counseling’ is the political dog whistle for ‘ Its their fault’ along with ‘ thoughts and prayers after the MORE than daily mass shootings.
Steering this from the cliff of politics, California is blessed with
Multiple ecosystems within a days drive. Our recent rains brought super blooms of wildflowers that would excite Vincent Van Gogh.
Our state wildflower would be a serious issue for international orange signal panels!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE