What is your fall back plan?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 26, 2009
My Front Room
What is your fall back plan when you are out in the woods / fields and the game will not give it self up for dinner?
Usually I carry a 45 litre cool box of goodies (family of six hungry mouths) but what are the alternatives?

iamasmith

Forager
Aug 12, 2009
London
Mine are pretty young yet but I'm longing, yes longing for the day that I give them Rabbit on a stick and they turn round and say 'but daddy I don't like it'... it will really make my day to say 'see a fridge?? get eating' :D

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
Ha ha ,....did this thread actually recieve a serious reply yet??

i take about 90% of the food i eat into the woods,... i never PLAN on bagging some game to eat,....might pick some leaves, berries, nuts etc,..

the land i,m able to use is swamped with old partridges, and woodies,

the partridges are ferral in a fashion as the shoot syndicate in the next wood dis-banded 4 years ago so there 4th generation and pretty wild now, but i still dont think i'd take one if faced with a clean shot.

the woodies are a different matter ;-)

if you can call it "back up" i have a dry bag in my pack which never needs much maintenance and contains oats, flour, rice, spices,peperamis, dried onion and all the brew ingredients, etc,...all the base ingredients that can be made into something.

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
main meal 24hrs rats. just keep them in my bergan if im out for more than a day...... if its just the day see what i get when im out or go hungry...lol..

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
The wild game is my fall back plan if the lid somehow jams on my coolbox. You have it all backwards.

Hahahahaa!!!

Just be sure the booze doesn't run out!!!

That's the motto of Andybysea's "Down the Cliff Gang"!

Priority for an overnighter for me is;

a) Water - 5L - brew, cooking, washing, to wash down the Anadin (see e), to kill the drouth (caused by b)...
b) Vodka - 1L - drinking...
c) Cola - 2L - to colour the vodka...
d) Dog - he's scared of his own shadow but he does catch and bring back rabbits.
e) Anadin Extra...

Jul 26, 2009
My Front Room
Excellent suggestions.
I did try the vodka once and I'm clearly not cut out for strong liquer. I'll stick with a cup of tea or coco. We did have some success with ducks and a catapult. The Hushpower .410 has earned its keep too.
However, the Dutch Oven filled with whatever from Sainsburys is the most reliable source of food.
That said I will be paying more attention to dry stores approach mentioned above.

pete79

Forager
Jan 21, 2009
In a swamp
I never bank on getting anything, even though I generally like to take my 12guage along for the hike. If I'm packing stuff on my back then I'll take dried stuff for the duration of the trip (and an extra 2 days worth), and maybe some mars bars for in case the blood sugar drops and I contract wobbly legged mad cow disease. If I'm vehicle based, I'll take fresh stuff. I generally take dried things like rice, and pasta meals.....something that will go well with any small game I blast on the way if my luck's in.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE