Overseas Taking bushcraft (and EDC) gear on a plane - airport experiences.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Classic! That had me laughing out loud!

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
me, too... i'm also a bit jealous that he managed to take his stick as hand luggage -- i've to transport mine as check-in (in a cover originally intended for a fishing rod and labelled "fragile") -- in brisbane i had to stop an arrogant quarantine official who without saying anything took her knife out and was planning to cut the cover open...

everyone knows that being over the weight limit means rip-off charges: in Tokyo an airline employee wanted to milk extra money of me for being slightly over 20kg according to the scales... ssoo i had to ask her WHY the scales were showing 200grams already when nothing was on them and when they got last calibrated... ---> "uuhh... you can board without extra charge"

Reactions: Van-Wild

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
I used to carry a firesteel on my key ring, until one day I had my tray moved to one side at Heathrow and got the ominous 'is this your tray....' question. I was genuinely bewildered because I couldn't think of why they had stopped my tray.

Turns out the firesteel had pinged up in the xray. The guy was nice enough to show me on the screen, ponted out the bunch of keys and asked me what I thought that was, pointing at the firesteel. So I casually said 'oh that, it's a firesteel. You can take it off if you wish, I forgot it was on there' .

The guy asked what a firesteel was so I told him genuinely, ending with 'and having said that, yeah... sorry I should of taken it off'. He checked my passport, gave me a smile and told me to have a nice flight!

So I kept my firesteel without issue at all, but to avoid a drama in the future, I took it off, just in case..... better to be safe than sorry!

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
US TSA staff have committed hundreds of felonies and not had one security success. They have taken time out from helping themselves to traveller's belongings to accuse a retired US Army General of trying to smuggle a ninja throwing star onto an aircraft as they tried to take his Congressional Medal Of Honor from him. They are staffed by the people who failed the entrance exam to be supermarket baggers.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Granted this was longer ago than I wish to accurately date but my wife and I travelled around Indoensia and Australia for a year flying all over the shop and all with a Gerber multi-tool and penknife in my waist pack. Often it was searched, found and complimented on :) Oh how things have changed.

Reactions: Rockfarm

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE