What is wild swimming?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I go wild paddling, as I can't swim properly!
Nowadays it's a bit dodgy with all the sewerage spills, even in the sea. We don't seem to have blue flag beaches anymore.. shame.
During the pandemic, they were finding floo outbreaks by monitoring sewerage stations for the "germs" makes you think twice about river swimming, unless you are very close to the source, with no habitation between that and your chosen spot.
We seem to be going backwards when it comes to clean water.
Dare I mention privatisation and monetary greed?
They are finding even drinking water can have a lot of nasties in. I filter my drinking water, if I don't my cup of tea often seems to have a scum on top.
Saving for some better water filters for the house than a simple britta jug.
I will have to go wild paddling in my local river as it isn't deep enough to swim in, notwithstanding the Council have decided in their wisdom to post no swimming notices when there is clearly not enough water to even get your ankles wet in high summer. Dirty rivers are not a new thing however I can remember seeing a newsreel about a polio outbreak in 1957 which parents blamed on that very same river the kids still play in.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Wild swimming by definition is any swimming in places other than a pool, lido or designated bathing area. Some swimming is wilder than others, particularly if you have to climb half way up a mountain to do it.

Reactions: TeeDee

lachat

Mar 6, 2024
Europe
I have never seen people swim in Lakes in the UK is it illegal ? Holland has the same climate and Lake swimming is very common for all ages.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Not unusual here in UK either. Every so often there are notices and broadcasts about blue algae blooms but otherwise you’ll find swimmers wherever there are accessible lakes or reservoirs. Some water authorities have tried to prevent it but rarely succeed.

Ozmundo

Jan 15, 2023
Sussex

When to one of these jobs once. The local team were having issues. On arrival we noticed they were just using standard scuba gear. Wet suit, half mask and regulator. Never shook hands with anyone on that team.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I have never seen people swim in Lakes in the UK is it illegal ? Holland has the same climate and Lake swimming is very common for all ages.

Swimming in Lakes legal.

Swimming in Reservoirs - potentially illegal and prohibited.

Ozmundo

Jan 15, 2023
Sussex
Swimming toward “the chipper” on the Tweryn is fun. Feet first and bounce!

I was told my throw bag technique resembled a drive by shooting. Whatever works I suppose!

• Haha
Reactions: Broch

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE