Semi Aquatic ancestor theory

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Aural exposes develop due to exposure to cold water, I used to know someone who had that issue. However why does that mean a semi aquatic ancestor is the cause?

Also, as a whitewater kayaker for 15 odd years I knew a lot of people who got exposed to cold water a lot over many years. However I only met one person who had that condition. If we're one species then why isn't this happening to all people exposed to cold water? IME it was a rare condition not a universal one such as an evolved protection. I only saw the abstract on that link so did it explain why it's not universal?

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
Where would you prefer to suddenly find yourself lost after a plane crash without any tools?

savannah-i71837.jpg

Or:

1000_F_269373773_5FljYhkb6AddkbSyqNkBvx41NANUqJEl.jpg

Where would you actually be capable of surviving, sapiens? Right now?
After the food I’ve had today I’m confident I could probably just sit in either of those two places for a week without needing to eat!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: plastic-ninja

CEngelbrecht

Banned permanently
Dec 25, 2023
Sweden
@CEngelbrecht
Welcome to the forum. This is clearly a topic close to your heart, understandable since your profile lists free diving as your outdoor activity. Are you interested in other aspects of the outdoors, and bushcraft in particular, or was it just this thread that encouraged you to sign up?

I just stumbled randomly on this thread.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Tell me ? are you the proponent all across the web who is pushing this theory again ?

It is, to us, a most unusual surname, yet any search of the topic brings up screeds under that name on every questioning site, like Quora....and I have to say, loads of de-bunking and disagreeing posts in response.

A strange past time, but well, it seems you've made it your own :)

Reactions: nigelp

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
'Cause these ancient people would've had to have been immerged or even submerged in water for quite a lot of hours every week regularly throughout their food picking lives to develop such a feature. One which has now been detected in a host of fossil erectus and Neanderthal specimens across cento millenia. That can't be waived off as a statistical outlier.

That surfer's ear would show in fossil hominins from them being largely fishing cultures was a testable prediction made by Peter Rhys-Evans in the 1990s. Nobody had looked at the ears of our fossilized ancestors in that light before. As soon as somebody actually went looking, this aquatic marker showed up everywhere. These were irrefutably fishing apes, from ~2mya to ~40kya. And that lifestyle still shows on our general physiology.

obama-surf.jpg

Because they were not submerged in their leisure activity. It has been a limited aquaticism compared to our wading-fishing ancestors. After about a decade of regular freediving leisure just a few hours a week, I developed it.

Until the local predators attack you.

ht_lion_pakiston_kb_150413_16x9_1600.jpg

skynews-great-white-sharks_5371344.jpg

Which one would you have the best chance at keeping clear of? Today?

Horror as man mauled to death and eaten alive by ferocious lion in grisly attack
Jaws-like panic grips beachgoers, who flee surf in terror

Deadliest animals worldwide by annual number of human deaths as of 2022
(Spoiler alert: Sharks aren't even listed, it's so few, while lions are. And humanity hits the beach in far bigger numbers than they do the savannah. Today.)

I think you’ll be going the way of the OP. I’ll say good bye and good riddance now.

lol. I see that they did…

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
CEngelbrecht has been banned

‘Twas I who approved his original posts, removing two of the eight in the process as needlessly belabouring points and directed at people who didn’t need that kind of reply. I also had to edit two other posts to remove inappropriate language used in a conversational manner. That was a high moderation load for a new member.

Last edited:

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Thanks mods, my senses were prickling with this chap.
I surmise we are all decended from aliens anyway. A biological experiment, which is why weve never found the missing link ;) :)
That would have been an amazing conversation wouldn't it? Not for here tho.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
All tgis talk about coldwater swimming and freediving has reminded me of something that recently popped up on my Youtube feed.
Its about the best bit of cinematography that Ive seen for a few years and I was utterly enthralled.
Yeah, she's easy on the eyes as well, but thats not really the point.seems she's a freediver and has done a few other underwater "Dances"
I'm guessing she has some weights sewn into her shift?
With luck this will link OK.

Reactions: CLEM

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
For now CEngelbrecht has been given a temporary ban.

‘Twas I who approved his original posts, removing two of the eight in the process as needlessly belabouring points and directed at people who didn’t need that kind of reply. I also had to edit two other posts to remove inappropriate language used in a conversational manner. That was a high moderation load for a new member.

Is that a record? :)
(time to join to time to be banned I mean)

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
For a non-spammer, it might be.

2024-01-17
Spammers can be pretty quick. Just had one join and get banned within 3 minutes of joining.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE