Swimming to camp and travel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I swim in the sea at least once a week year-round and I've thought a few times about swimming around the coast a bit to camp, and that got me wondering how often people actually do swim when off the beaten track or to get to somewhere specific.
I tend to avoid crossing rivers etc, and would walk around if possible, but it actually makes sense sometimes to swim across, in as much as I'm a competent swimmer and not particularly scared of water, yet, I don't.

Do any of you ever find yourself just swimming or even wading across the water to get where you want to be? If you do I'd be interested in your experiences, what you put kit in, do you do it out of necessity or because you enjoy it etc...

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
I've crossed shallow rivers before on my travels. By shallow I mean no deeper than knee depth. I don't mind getting wet legs. Any deeper, and I'd spend some time finding a crossing point before swimming across. I guess it's all about risk vs reward. If it were the middle of winter and I had a choice of swimming across or walking a kilometre to cross over a bridge, I'd walk the kilometer, or maybe even more.

Crossing a river with kit is relatively simple, if somewhat sketchy if you're not confident on the exit point once you've crossed. When I have swam across rivers in a previous life, I was part of a team, and everything was planned ahead. It was never a Spur of the moment decision. To keep my kit dry I just put it all inside a bivi bag, goose necked the top and off I swam. On exiting the far bank, you have to be prepared to dry off rapidly and get moving to restore body heat.

If you're not prepared for the cold water, it will take the wind out of you which can literally be a shock to people and there's a real risk that you'll drown. Not something to trifle with. The speed of the current is often underestimated as well. Something else to be aware of.

Ultimately, crossing a river (especially alone) should not be a Spur of the moment thing. You should be well prepared. It can all go wrong very quickly and end badly!

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Hillwalking I always wade through the water in boots. To me it’s safer than trying to tiptoe over rocks with the possibly of falling in even up to knee deep. Just squeeze out the water on the other side or walk it off depending on depth.
Often swim in water if I camp near a stream or a simple dip/paddle to cool feet at night.
Wish I could make the time for a sea swim though.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I've certainly waded in, across and along rivers for work and for kayaking and gorge walking. The most relevant to here would be whwn wearing a wet- or drysuit and buoyancy aid. As long as you're not alone and there are no dangerous obstacles nearby, it's actually fine once you're in.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I swim in the sea at least once a week year-round and I've thought a few times about swimming around the coast a bit to camp, and that got me wondering how often people actually do swim when off the beaten track or to get to somewhere specific.
I tend to avoid crossing rivers etc, and would walk around if possible, but it actually makes sense sometimes to swim across, in as much as I'm a competent swimmer and not particularly scared of water, yet, I don't.

Do any of you ever find yourself just swimming or even wading across the water to get where you want to be? If you do I'd be interested in your experiences, what you put kit in, do you do it out of necessity or because you enjoy it etc...

I've done a fair bit of wild swimming over a few year and in all weathers.
I've also followed a few rivers from source to sea before - which is an interesting experience.

I think mentally its a good exercise to get at ease or used to entering water zones as it breaks down a mental barrier that we seem to create - bobbing along a river , loch , lake , sea and seeing the landscape from not just a different perspective but from a different type of medium is refreshing.

Dry bags are a good bit of kit for not just keeping your dry kit in but obviously providing a little extra buoyancy.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
There was an episode of Longmire we watched a while ago, and there was a river separating tribal lands, or something like that, and they just swam across and carried on wet till they dried out.
There's been a few other movies and series etc that depict people just getting on with it and taking it in their stride and not worrying about wet clothes etc.
I think that's obviously easier in a warmer climate and a lot more caution is needed for half the year here.

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
It’s your natural instinct Tony, trust it!

The natural human environment is land, move into water and the odds of the proverbial hitting the fan increase substantially.

Ozmundo

Jan 15, 2023
Sussex
A brief detour is usually less energy and lower risk. That said I am happier swimming across rather than wading a shallow waterway.

Foot entrapment and drowning in knee depth water would look bad.

Obviously water flow and composition of the bottom and banks figure in the decision.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE