What is bushcraft to you??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
S

sccadmin

Put simply it makes me feel 'at peace'.

Everyday stresses and strains don't seem to matter as much and I relax.

I have fun with my kids, relax in front of the TV but never really feel a true sense of peace unless I'm up a hill or in a wood!

Last edited by a moderator:

Jericho

Tenderfoot
Feb 12, 2010
N.Wales
For me, getting away from the 'hurly burly' of other people, and spending time alone (i'm not realy a "social" bushcrafter).

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
waking up in a bivi bag in the middle of beautifull countryside does it for me:)

since i started working with trees i like the change of the seasons, seeing the trees come into leaf, flower etc. each year im noticeing more and more as i become more knowlegable:)

i like useing, making and fixing tools. axes being my favorite. most old have superb steel and i go for these over your GB axes any day of the week. also not only do you get a great axe for peanuts but you now know how to fix it if it should break. if you can't maintain and repair your tools you shouldn't be useing them imo!

pete

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
Bloody expensive.

rubbish, it is only expensive if you make it so. there is no need for fancy knives and hammocks to practice bushcraft.

you can make a rucksack from a blanket and some rope then use the blanket to sleep in later. a mora knife hardly breaks the bank at £8 and my favorite axe cost me 75p!!

pete

wolf man

Forager
Sep 12, 2005
Oxford

There is a pleasure in the pathless woods;
There is a rapture on the lonely shore;
There is society, where none intrudes,
By the deep sea, and music in its roar;
I love not man the less, but Nature more.

Lord Byron.

I suppose this sums it up for me.

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
First of all, I have to say that I haven't read all of the posts in this thread, so excuse me if I seem to be repeating what someone has already said.

I don't see myself as a Bushcrafter as such, but rather as a hill-man. We travel parallel tracks!

I can't say there's any single particular thing and really can't express myself without going off in tangents... I'm good at that. It's a way of living and a particular need that has to be taken out of town and into whatever country is available at the time, whether remote mountainous regions, woodlands, beaches, or even industrial landscapes, preferably in the process of healing.

So, whether just enjoying the country, wandering, climbing, camping, canoeing, fishing, generally killing things and eating them, or simply observing, it's a need that has to be catered for and a way of life... that's my answer!

tinkerer

Forager
Mar 11, 2010
bournemouth
spending a few days in a place like this

gingeecamp1052.jpg
[/IMG]

having a brew

gingeecamp1008.jpg
[/IMG]

breathe easy and realise there are no boundaries for those few days i have everything i NEED .this was a 5 day trek in india 2005 by the way , i love to explore be it in my local woods on a beach in a cave , if i can stay there for a few days and be at one with nature and get in touch with my inner caveman then thats even better.:eek::camping:

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE