What is best to oil leatherman and kit info for beginner

Deano3

Tenderfoot
Jan 1, 2012
Newcastle
Hi all i am brand new to this and been posting questions about wild camping as i want to start as a hobby cause i love the outdoors, i recently purchased a leatherman skeletool and i always look after my possessions i was just wondering what type of oil to use to lubricate it ? sure any oil would do i am a hgv mechanic and have general spray oil like wd40 but think it might attract dirt should i use teflon based ? read that somewere else, also been looking at sleeping bags and backpacks etc i have found that most people use ex-army gear and suppose it makes sense that they would have best gear is that correct ?

many thanks Dean

Mark W

Dec 29, 2011
Forest of Dean
most people use ex-army gear and suppose it makes sense that they would have best gear is that correct ?
Not necessarily, it's usually good enough gear but like any business buying in bulk they'll go for the cheapest tender. So, not the best, not necessarily the best value for money either, but good enough for what the MOD can afford.
"Best" depends on your point of view.

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
GT85 for the oil... Unlike WD40, it evaporates.

I use it on expensive servo's in high dust environments, so your leatherman will be fine :)

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Triflow is pretty good,been using it for a few years at work and its way better than WD40 but then it depends on what you need it to do. I've always found WD40 seems to attract dust,grit and fluff, while Triflow seems to repel everything.

As far as ordinary oil goes, I find 3in1 or even the cheap 151 stuff that Parker Tools in the Metro centre sells is fine for tool lubrication, knife sharpening and prevention of rust.

Anyway I use Triflow all the time at work. You can buy it from Arco
http://www.triflow.co.uk/index.html

On the kit issue; No the Army don't necessarily use the "best" but you can fork out a lot of money on brand names and be very disappointed. If you want reasonably sturdy gear for a reasonable price, then British Army surplus will do you, but shop around.
Get your eyes and your hands on kit before you buy it if you're buying online.

There are a few shops round Newcastle where you can check kit out,but they sell a lot of copied stuff as well as genuine kit so be careful. There's also a pretty good set up on the road into Darlington-

http://www.genuinearmysurplus.co.uk/products/

Mind you even there they sell some copied kit.

Make sure the kit is okay for what you want, then compare prices. Buy from wherever you can get the best price (don't forget to take delivery/travel costs into account).

good luck Dean:)

atb

Steve

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE