what is the best way to pack a backback for hiking and camping

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
I find it varies depending on what I'm doing/where I'm going/time of the year...

If its winter/fold, then I'm packing my British army sleeping bag which takes up most of my small bag in one hit, so chances are I'll be packing my Dutch saracen which is 100l + so I'll keep sleep stuff lower down as it gets my sleeping bag out the way, but I can also access it from a zip at the bottom, just try to balance it out weight wise...
If its summer/lighter camping or a walk, then I'll take the karrimor 45, so I have to pack more structured... but like OT I still change what I'm doing each time. Most recently, I had my tent on one side and a rocket pouch with water and weighted stuff the other to balance it all out, sleep stuff again, first in really... seemed to work well.

Reactions: Minotaur

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Close enough. :) The thing is apparently still around and kicking.
My platoon were sent on a training course to learn about grenades on the grenade training range, which was an interesting and quite frightening structure dating from the turn of the century. Deep ditches either side of the walkways just in case you messed up with your live throwing.
I wondered how many soldiers this place had seen over the years.
We also practice fired a Charlie G at an old tank.
Being nervous I missed the tank of course and exploded a small bush!
I was that classic age nnnnnnnineteen!
Cannon fodder.
S

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I've seen a lot written about this, and to be honest, there is only the way that is correct for you. It also depends on the pack you're using. I pack my LK70 frame pack differently to my Sabre 45 and so on.
Generally, though, I follow what you might call a "Packing matrix" for my gear.
  1. Spare clothes in a dry bag go in to the main compartment first.
  2. Sleep system (Usually a hammock with under/overquilt and insect net) in a dry bag next. Also in the main compartment.
  3. Cooking gear and brew kit goes in a side pocket.
  4. Shelter kit goes into the other side pocket alongside the folding saw and other edged tools.
  5. Axe is on the side of the pack behind the pocket in item 4.
  6. Fire kit and headlamp are in the lid pocket, alongside cordage and first aid kit.
  7. My poncho is on the top of the lid.
  8. Food is mostly in the main compartment at the top, with some in with the brew kit and cooking gear.
  9. I usually pack a small folding table strapped to the outside too.
The stuff I need first is easiest to get to.
Shelter, brew kit, waterproofs etc.
Since I'm not carrying a bulky tent or the like, I don't really need to worry about C of G.

One thing I never do, though, is attach anything to the outside that can swing. A swinging water bottle really makes walking any distance difficult, it throws your balance out and can get irritating.

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
@Graham_S
C of G?

I'd like to sort out a better sleep system over a tent. My tent is great and doesn't weigh a vast amount, but it's bulk means I really have to strap it to the side instead of a rocket pouch on my Sabre 45... have never tried hammocking, also never tried bivvy bagging.

Issue with hammocking or indeed bivvies (with tarp) are a lack of trees on SWC and some of Dartmoor which are our usual haunts... also I don't really know how to identify widow makers, that aren't horrifically obvious..

Wife is more tempted with the idea of hooped bivvies now she realises that lighter often means easier transporting, which would work well with kayaking etc.. but shes a scaredy with bugs, so hooped is the only way.

walker

Oct 27, 2006
devon
I try not to pack heavy items at all never mind worrying about where to put them.
Sleeping bag at the bottom no stuff sack just ram it in the a warm jumper and spare socks then my trangia and some food to last me then my tarp and mat and good book and a canteen of whiskey

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
I fell in with a local hiking group- and rapidly fell out. They were ultra light fanatics. I think it was the two glass bottles of Perrier in the sidepockets that started my shunning. Center of balance was mentioned. True, but I learned riding horses that can be very dynamic in all the schools. If you fall on your pack that center is now about 8” above your kidneys as you flail like an overturned tortoise.
What you carry on belt and pockets can have equal bearing on comfort and load out.

Potatohead

Jul 1, 2020
Surrey... near a tree :)
I always pack in order of necessity / frequency of use.
Small gadgets (torch, lighter, kfs etc) in a single organiser in an outside pocket such as a maxP pocket organiser for single grab and go
First aid kit in an outside pocket immediately accessible. Fixed blade , if carrying, either on my belt or next to my first aid kit.
Pocket knife always in my pocket funnily enough :)

Weather layers at the top for quick clothing adjustments.
Food for the day just next to or below that.

Small basic tarp with lines attached to get a basic shelter up quick to then enable me to collect my thoughts in the dry.

Practice packing your ‘basic’ load out in any of your bags the same every time and pretty soon you get used to where high frequency stuff is without even thinking about it.

Even my work bag right now. I know exactly whats in it and exactly where……yes i am a geek lol !

Last edited:
Reactions: gibson 175

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I suppose that I always took more than I needed for any eventuality. The basic assumption was always that it would be pi$$ing rain when we stopped.
OK: first out is the rain fly for the big A-frame tent, spread out.
Next, toss the ripstop nylon tent under the rain fly and get it square with corner pegs.
Next, lift the rainfly and the tent together, add the front then the rear poles, peg those two pole lines.
Spread and peg the rainfly guy lines.
With my pack just outside the tent door and under cover, unpack the food and bedding. Get the water boiling.
I'm in! It's a done deal! It's positively hosing out there.
What goodies did I bring? What's tonight's tipple?

As a child, I lived in a summer house which had no ceiling, the place was bare to the roof. The rain was always so loud. Almost hypnotic. We were always warm and dry but I can't drive than memory away from a rainy camp.

xairbourne

Jan 10, 2006
Pontypool
www.youtube.com
If you are prepared to carry it. you can take it.

On my Ridgeway walk, my pack was about 18kg, and that was everything for 5 days unaided wild camping.
None of this "my pack is 8kg, oh but thats not food or water"
5 days food, Breakfast, Lunch, Evening meal and snacks.
2L of water
Camera / tripod and batteries.
It was on the heavy side but I used everything I took over the 5 days.

I have looked and bought new kit to shed some weight off my multi day gear, its was about £100 for every KG dropped for ultra lightweight camping gear ish...

I also bought a helinox chair, walking 22 miles and sitting on the floor to eat your food and locking up was not nice lol.

Just find what works for you, after day 2 you will have some idea of what you need at certain times. its practice and personal preference,

Along the trip I bumped into a gentleman coming the other way, he was pulling his gear on a 2 wheel frame trailer, due to injury he couldn't carry a pack so he pulled it behind him.
stiles and unopen gates slowed him down, be he was out there doing it.

gibson 175

Apr 9, 2022
West Yorkshire
If you are prepared to carry it. you can take it.

On my Ridgeway walk, my pack was about 18kg, and that was everything for 5 days unaided wild camping.
None of this "my pack is 8kg, oh but thats not food or water"
5 days food, Breakfast, Lunch, Evening meal and snacks.
2L of water
Camera / tripod and batteries.
It was on the heavy side but I used everything I took over the 5 days.

I have looked and bought new kit to shed some weight off my multi day gear, its was about £100 for every KG dropped for ultra lightweight camping gear ish...

I also bought a helinox chair, walking 22 miles and sitting on the floor to eat your food and locking up was not nice lol.

Just find what works for you, after day 2 you will have some idea of what you need at certain times. its practice and personal preference,

Along the trip I bumped into a gentleman coming the other way, he was pulling his gear on a 2 wheel frame trailer, due to injury he couldn't carry a pack so he pulled it behind him.
stiles and unopen gates slowed him down, be he was out there doing it.
Sometimes it just takes a minor adaptation to your hobbies or your home to make you independent..love that guy with his 2 wheel frame trailer..what did it look like? I work with older people and I could suggest a piece of equipment like that so they can go hiking

xairbourne

Jan 10, 2006
Pontypool
www.youtube.com
Sometimes it just takes a minor adaptation to your hobbies or your home to make you independent..love that guy with his 2 wheel frame trailer..what did it look like? I work with older people and I could suggest a piece of equipment like that so they can go hiking
Im sure it was something like this, if you search for hiking trailers a few different types come up.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-11-11 at 14.41.22.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-11 at 14.41.22.png
    982.1 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: gibson 175

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
If one is too old to carry a durable equipment one can also buy a very light equipment because it doesn't need to last the next decades anyway.

Ultralight equipment isn't only made for radical freaks but also for handicapped persons.

Reactions: MrEd

Harold Godwinson

Tenderfoot
Mar 11, 2023
Cornwall
Thought I'd open this old thread as I'm new and I'm sure the subject is still relevant.

I generally use two packs and pack them both in roughly the same way.

If I'm fast packing my needs are slightly different to when I pack for a overnighter or a multi day hike but the principle is the same.

Fast packing I keep water and waterproofs on the outside. I pack a warm hat and gloves in a side pocket and my trail food goes anywhere I can stash it within easy reach as when I'm on the move I don't want to take of the pack. Everything else, basically warm kit and first aid, goes inside the main sack which is lined with a rubble bag for waterproofing. If I'm doing an "event" with a mandatory kit list these items are added (if not part of my normal kit) within easy reach as they are usually checked by the organizers.

For bushcraft, hiking, overnighting etc, I pack as I did in the army, it's a simple system that has always worked for me and being a 40 year old system I doubt I'll change it. So I pack sleeping bag and bivi bag in the bottom of the sack, sleeping bag in bivi and stuffed down to fill all the corners. the bivi is the waterproof cover of the sleeping bag. No stuff sacks etc. On top of these I pack clothing in a rubble sack. Then in goes the rest. I always pack my water, flask and cook pots at the back in a line (cook pot in a plastic bag) rest lose - nearest my back. In front of these goes food (this is the only stuff I pack in a sack in this case an old ex-army bergen pocket liner). Anything else goes in on top of this, if there is anything.

I pack my poncho and guys ect in the lid pocket as no point putting something potentially wet inside the sack and this goes up first on arrival and provides a dry area to unpack the rest. . Inside the lid I pack my first aid kit and wash kit.

My possibles are always on my body.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Sleeping bag inside a bivi bag at the bottom then the rest of your clothing, wash kit etc in a waterproof bag on top. Last on top of that food and waterproofs.

It’s a personal choice and depends on what you are doing or where you are going.

Reactions: MrEd

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Anything heavy at the bottom/or close to your back. Light and fluffy keeps the heavy things in place/or high up. Sleeping bag and some clothes in a water proof bag, just in case. Everything else here and there.

I keep a lot of things and redundant ones in trouser or jacket pockets so they are with me all the time.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
I pack according to what order I use things

Tarp, food and water and first aid kit in easy accessible side pouches, then internals same methods. I do try and get the weight up at shoulder blade level and against my back

Last edited:
Reactions: SaraR

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
I just watched King Solomons Mines with a dapper Stuart Granger. He had a felt hat with leopard trim, khakis and a best grade rifle crooked in his arm.
Behind him a couple dozen native load bearers ( mind the gin there !)
Walked singing about taking off the minute danger appeared.
I’m weighting recently fired tech industry ( carpel tunnel wrists) teens ( texting and not looking where they’re going) or members of SEG in Hollywood.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE