what is the best way to pack a backback for hiking and camping

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

knowledge=gain

Sent off- not allowed to play
Jun 25, 2022
england
some say pack heavy items first

some say lighter items first

some say bedding and sleeping bag first

this can be confusing and troublesome and off-putting for newcomers if they do not have the correct knowledge

thereby from experience of carrying for longevity of trips albeit for one [1] night several nights or even longer what is the best way you have discovered for packing the backpack

how is the packing different for different styles of backpck and-such in a little or a big way i.e. backpacks with top and or bottom external-straps v's backpack with no external-straps

how is the packing different for different styles of backpack and-such in a little or a big way i.e. backpacks with little to no pockets v's those with pockets

this is asked so that those new to camping, can have a better idea for how to pack to alleviate any bodily problems i.e. back, neck, shoulder strain and-such

Last edited:

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
Forget about all those pictures from books about heavy items there and soft stuff over there.
Convenience and priority of use. Spare clothes and food at the bottom. Shelter and sleep system on top of that, waterproofs, cooking and gadgets on top and in side pockets.
Check youtube for "thru hike how I pack". Those people doing 2000mile hikes know what they are talking about.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
To be honest, this is a subjective topic. Different people have different priorities. As BM says, access to quickly needed stuff may be a priority - or, if you're doing 30km comfort will definitely come high up on the list.

But it also depends on the type and quality of your carrying kit; has it got good padding or structure to protect your back from the hard stuff? does it have a weight carrying hip belt (not a waist belt)? does it have a chest strap to prevent the shoulder straps pulling out on the shoulders? All these things will dictate how much emphasis you put on your loading strategy.

Once again, from St Paul, here is a starter - but it is only that; get out there, try things out, and come up with your own plan :)

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Light.
It is also a good thing to think about packing, unpacking and use.
It really matters what you plan to do? Hiking 20 miles a day for days on end will change what you are willing to carry.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I never get on with any of those instructions. I put something soft and non-fragile at the bottom, then I pack in order of frequency of use, with fragile/flat/heavy things towards the back panel. The items most likely to be needed throughout the day get put on top or to the sides where they are easy to get out and in without unpacking everything.

I also prefer having a back pack that’s got enough spare capacity that I can rummage around for something without having to take half the things out first. Whenever I see those people stuffing everything then need into a tiny backpack to ”save weight” (more likely because having a tiny pack seems to be as macho as having a huge pack was a few decades ago), I always think of all the wet and windy places I’ve had to dig something out of my pack where putting stuff on the ground was definitely not an option, as it would either get soaked or fly away.

If needed, I also divide things up vertically after task, so that things that go together are in the order they would normally be wanted in vertical columns in the pack. That way the things needed less frequently are still easily accessible because as you set up that task you are working your way down layer by layer in that part of the backpack and the rest just stays neatly packed. When you are done, you pack up in reverse order.

Last edited:
Reactions: oldtimer

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I've been packing a backpack for hiking and camping for 70 years and could not give a simple answer to this question.
Avoidance of getting everything out to reach something at the bottom is the priority.

Current system is as follows.
Sleeping bag and pad go at the bottom, then change of clothes bag then food bag and cooking kit, then warm top then waterproofs. wash kit and lavatory bag (loo paper and hand sanitizer) in lid pocket. Tarp in outside pocket or tent under lid.Possibles pouch on waist belt.

Next week, I might give a completely different answer!

bearbait

Re SaraR and oldtimer's comments about access "without unpacking everything", some rucksacks have the ability to unzip the rear of the pack for easy access anywhere in the pack. I've found that very useful for the reasons they mentioned, and it's very quick for getting at what you want.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Re SaraR and oldtimer's comments about access "without unpacking everything", some rucksacks have the ability to unzip the rear of the pack for easy access anywhere in the pack. I've found that very useful for the reasons they mentioned, and it's very quick for getting at what you want.
I normally don’t like zips on bigger packs, but I’ve got one with along the front vertically offset to the side halfway between the central line and the side for accessing things in the backpack, which works OK as long as you don’t have anything in the front stash pocket. Although to be honest, I rarely if ever use it.

But the style you describe sounds a lot better! Easy access, yet protected and not likely to break, as long as the zips are sturdy enough. And I guess if it does break it’s easier to hold in place with some straps Around the whole pack.

Reactions: Minotaur

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I have a detachable expedition pack on a serious tubing frame. The main compartment will hold two x 12 bottle cases of wine. Outboard sides are 4 very roomy pockets for things like stove, fuel etc. Map pocket outside on the back.

The last thing to go in was always the tent and rain fly.
Get those up first. Then the rest of the fooling around can be done in shelter if needs be.

If it's a simple overnight sprint, I'll put a wine box in the bottom of the pack. That puts the load high up on my shoulders. The other thing was that I always needed a shake-down trip or two to remember what all goes in which pocket. Never had the common sense to write it down and leave the list in the pack.

Yes, I enjoy reading maps of all kinds. Here in British Columbia, we have several sets of good maps, one is called the "Recreational Atlas." Monuments, points of interest, wilderness camp sites maintained by the Forestry Dept. and so on. There are 700,000 kilometers of industrial resource roads in BC. Took many edits to get a lot of the older stuff in the right place. I've used Google Earth to add a few details to my most recent book.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
I think one of my main problems with the pack diagrams is they place the cooking stuff in the middle when in the real world it ends up at the top or in a side pocket. The one thing I am going to do in the middle of the day is stop and have a drink.
Everyone is saying it however it comes down to why you are carrying the stuff and for how long?
One of my big problems with hiking tents is that they are designed so you have to erect the inner first. Which might work somewhere however in the UK in the middle of rain and all you want is to get under cover it major muppet thinking.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
First thing I do/did was to get the waterproof rain fly spread out on the ground. Then I would throw the real thin, ripstop nylon tent in under the rain fly. Get that floor squared away and staked down. Now, raise the two of them together and the tent stays bone dry. Packing up in the rain was just about the reverse.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I think one of my main problems with the pack diagrams is they place the cooking stuff in the middle when in the real world it ends up at the top or in a side pocket. The one thing I am going to do in the middle of the day is stop and have a drink.
Everyone is saying it however it comes down to why you are carrying the stuff and for how long?
One of my big problems with hiking tents is that they are designed so you have to erect the inner first. Which might work somewhere however in the UK in the middle of rain and all you want is to get under cover it major muppet thinking.
Yeah, lay everything out in groups and think about how often you’ll need it and when. Then pack it in roughly that order, while making sure that it all fits nicely and will survive the trip.

When you’re used to your tent you can usually get it set up in very little time, so maybe it’s not such a big deal in most types of rain (although I agree with you on this one). For me, it fly feels less well secured on inner-first tents, although maybe that’s not a real problem. I just imagine it being torn off and flying away. :) The good thing about fly-second tents is that storing a wet fly separately from the dry inner is much easier to do.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
I remember the packing diagram in my first Cub Scout handbook (circa 1980s). I’m not sure who drew it but the emergency money was given the same size proportion as the sleeping bag whereas the first aid kit was the size of a penknife.
I know the idea came from someone on here however I am trying to get a smaller velcro first aid kit for my hiking rucksack and as my boo boo kit. On my bushcraft bag I have one of the molle rip away first aid pouches as used by someone here. It on the outside of my pack and it obviously a first aid kit so other people and yourself can get to it.
The 2 reasons of getting blood everywhere while trying to find it in the middle of your pack and someone else trying to find it made so much sense.

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
A while ago I read a book that involved soldiering and travelling by foot overland.
The most memorable part irrespective of the ‘how’ was ‘where’. Where you put an item so it can be found easily.
Know your way round your backpack.
S

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
A lot of lightweight hikers talk about having a process for taking stuff out and putting it back for that reason. It also about making sure they do not forget anything.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
A while ago I read a book that involved soldiering and travelling by foot overland.
The most memorable part irrespective of the ‘how’ was ‘where’. Where you put an item so it can be found easily.
Know your way round your backpack.
S
There’s something very satisfying about plunging your hand down into the pack and grabbing the thing/bag you by feel only without having to dig around for it. Just knowing exactly where it is. :)

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Packing a military pack is fairly easy, one can always find the ammo and anti tank mines by weight and Carl Gustav is on the outside anyway.. ;)

Weight down and close to ones back, volume like sleeping bag up. Tent where it happens to go and boots under the lid.

I use DD's bags to contain things so very little just sloshes around.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE