what food do you take.?

addbad

Nov 19, 2010
durham
when you go out for a few night's or a week what food do you take out with you.?

when i go out i always prepare meals first i make boil in the bag meals at home easy to do heres a web page that tells you how to do it.http://www.helium.com/items/818026-camping-tips-how-to-make-boil-in-a-bag-meals

my favorite meals are:
sausage and rice
chicken stir fri
beans and sausages
rice and bacon

some good easy prepared meals.

so what do you take to eat.? happy posting :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Typical camping meals for me are (all fresh)

Evening meal

Beef stew
Lamb curry
Chicken Curry
Pork in cider
Spag bol
Meat balls
Corned beef stew
Chicken casserole

Lunch

Cheese
Ham
Salami
Spam
Corned beef
Chorzoz
All with something simple like noodles or rice.

Breakfeast

Instant oats then bacon, sausages, eggs, beans, mushrooms, toms, fried bread, black pudding, sometimes a bit of steak too

Snacks in the day such as chocolate biscuits, cakes, bread and jam, cup o soups etc.

If you can cook it at home then you can cook it when your camping.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
What I take depends entirely on where I'm going, how I'm getting there, and how long I plan to stay.
If I'm backpacking I'll take pasta, couscous, noodles etc with salami, dried veg (onions mushrooms etc)
Breakfasts will include instant porage and oatcakes.

For a short term camp with good resupply, I tend to take a mini cool box with bacon/sausages/eggs/beef
I avoid chicken and pork because I've found it doesn't keep as well.

I always have a box of cooking supplies (a mini mess tin with film capsules full of spices/salt/pepper, a tube of garlic puree, a tube of tomato puree, tabasco, stock cubes.)
I take split peas, lentils, and so on for soup

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I'm a bit like Rik - I prefer a proper fresh meal to boil-in-the-bag stuff.
We tend to take some casserole veg and chopped meat and make a simple stew.
Or stuff to make a chilli/curry and that sort of thing.
Taking a chicken or joint of pork is also good for spit-roasting. Depending on how many of you there are, the meat on that can last a few days. Fish is another good option (a whole meal in one!) - but I don't like fish. If I did though, that'd make a very good option.
In my experience taking the raw ingredients doesn't take that much more space than boil-in-the-bag meals and, in any case, tastes a million times better, and the cooking is all part of the experience anyway.

northumbrian

Settler
Dec 25, 2009
newcastle upon tyne
i like casseroles and stews nice slow cooking is the way to get yer belly grumbling' so i take dried beans and lentils pre chopped root vedgies 'big kilo vac-packed bag of bacon pieces, various seasonings (bovril,mustard ,pepper,sea salt,garlic salt and other spices) and various tins of toms ,beans ,sardines,and various bags of dehydrated fruit,and oats ,theres probbly a ton more what i take but i can't remember for the moment 'anyway u get the idea ! lol:yikes::yikes::p
ps i also supplement it with local fish and varmits if the site allows hunting an fishing !

Last edited:

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
I really rate Brit rat packs- for the variety if nothing else. They're heavy tho. I've always liked them since Biscuits AB were in them. I also like self dehydrated meat and veggies.

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I usually take a few dried veggies from the supermarket (mushrooms, mixed peppers, onions & mixed country veg) along with rice, pasta & salami type sausages. I also pack a few herbs and spices with me to liven things up.

Having said that, I always have a few boil in the bag type meals with me as well...handy if I arrive in camp late and can't be bothered cooking a "real" meal.

Simon

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
In the morning i love to do fried chorizo with scrambled egg and throw it on a pita bread or similar flatbread :D
lunch i usualy grab some fish of some kind, i really like tinned smoked mackies and if you do some rice you have a simple but tasty meal.
for dinner whatever i can cook up, mostly i've been doing packet stuff in the past but i'm keen to do cous cous with other veg and bits, i just wish i could find salted or smoked meats rather then refrigerated it would make life so much easier.

Oarsnpaddle

Forager
May 24, 2010
Greater Copenhagen
The real winter is coming, so we'll soon be able to take refrigerated food no problems - if we can carry it.

Hmm, bacon, eggs, steaks, pork, and a cold beer to wash it down with. :D

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Varies from base ingredients - flour, meat, eggs, veg etc to MOD rat packs by way of Bacon Grill and Aldi rye bread and tinned haggis.
I even use commercial and home made dried food if weight is an issue ...even MOD dried rations at a pinch.
It all depends on the aims and ambitions of the trip.....

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
When I'm out with the Scouts, I take boil in the bag for the first night.
I can sling it in a pot on the fire and leave it while I do other things.

I sometimes take bannock mix (in a ziplock bag) too.
add water to the bag, close, and mix by squeezing. far less messy that other methods.

4D_scumpunx

Nov 17, 2010
macclesfield
I normally take a few tinned tomatoes, 3-4 different types of beans, bag on onions, peppers, garlic.
a few potatoes, herbs n spices.
nothing like veggie chilli and a baked potato on the camp fire!

few slices of bread for cold chilli sarnies in the morning
and a few packs on noodles

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
A good meal for the first night is humble corned beef stew. Before you leave home chop up carrots, onions, mushrooms swede, celery, spuds and plastic bag them. Cube up your corned beef and bag that too together with crumbled stock cubes (Knorr are my favourite) and herbs. Get to camp and get all the ingredients on to slow cook while you set up. One pot no mess meal.

Another simple but two pot meal is corned beef spag bol. Cube up the meat add dried Basel and crushed garlic and bag it with some chopped onion. At camp put on your pasta in one pan then add the corned dog mix to a couple of tins of chopped toms and bring to simmer, reduce the juice or add a good squirt of tom puree. You could use rice instead of pasta and add a good dollop of curry paste to the meat mix for an OK curry, not top jolly but fine on a cold night and its a very quick meal.

You can cut down on weight if you use packets of tom soup instead of tinned toms; not as good but it hits the spot when you are chilly.

Cooking when camping ain't rocket science, I can't back pack these days so all or most of my food is 'real' but if your back packing then look at what you can substitute items with like the packet tom soup instead of canned toms, or Oxtail cup o soup as gravy mix to flavour and thicken. The most important thing for those of you who don't cook at home is to practice your meals at home using the stove and pots you will take on your camping trip; this really does make a big difference to being a happy camper or someone with a pan full or burnt/watery tasteless crap.

northumbrian

Settler
Dec 25, 2009
newcastle upon tyne
When I'm out with the Scouts, I take boil in the bag for the first night.
I can sling it in a pot on the fire and leave it while I do other things.

I sometimes take bannock mix (in a ziplock bag) too.
add water to the bag, close, and mix by squeezing. far less messy that other methods.

cheers graham top idea that is ! i'll be trying that soon , no more sticky hands here i come ! lol

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE