Trangia meal ideas

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
There seems to be plenty of folk using trangias on here. I love my 25 and use it atleast once a week, sometimes way more than that and it's a versatile setup with 2 decent sized pans and a frying pan/lid.

I think its about time we had a thread on meals done in a trangia, we have a thread on one pot meals but you can be a bit more adventurous with the trangia.

This is an easy meal we knocked up last night but it's full of flavour.

Ingredients: (bought from Lidl)

Garlic sausage
Gorgonzola Dolce
Pasta

With the big pan, half fill with water and bring to the boil, using the frying pan as a lid to help speed things up. If you have a bit of salt handy whack it in the water. Put the pasta in when you reach a boil, leave the lid off. Keep stirring every now and then to stop the pasta sticking to itself.

Chop up your sausage and stick it in the frying pan, it's got plenty of fat so you won't need any oil.

When the pasta is nearly done, al dente shall we say, take it off the heat, flip up the pan stand and put the sausage on to fry. Get it crispy, then drain the pasta and switch pans again.

Put the cheese in with the pasta, constantly stirring until it goes all gooey and saucy. Add the sausage back in and serve!

20221117_203029.jpg

It's a super easy one as you don't need any extras for flavour like salt, and the sausage is fatty enough to not need any oil, its literally 3 ingredients and some water, but it's super tasty.

What do you all cook in yours?

walker

Oct 27, 2006
devon
Hi , I to love my trangias am not going to list them all but as for meals here we go,
1" mince, 1 tin of beans and 1 tin of kidney beans and 1 onion plus chilli powder, cook onions and mince then chuck beans and kidney beans all in with powder to taste

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
One of my guilty pleasures is simply minced meat fried to death then drizzled with soy sauce, lime juice and lots of black pepper. Of course this can be expanded by adding onion, garlic, green pepper, ginger, etc and serving it on flatbread or rice. I'd cook the rice first and let it sit with the lid on which gives it time to fluff up while the interesting stuff cooks.

Sometimes I make a sausage stew in a Zebra Billy on my trangia. 2 sausages, 1 stock cube, whatever veg I have to hand, water and something as a thickener. If potatoes are among the veg then they will do, if not then I employ rice or lentils; the former provides energy, the latter provides wind, both absorb water. For flavour I favour cumin and mixed herbs stirred in a couple of minutes from taking off the heat. I've managed to burn stuff more times in the Zebra than any other pot or pan, possibly because it's so tall. Anyway, thorough stirring and more water is the solution. Men don't use simmer rings :p

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
As a main course kichiri takes some beating, onions, rice, lentils and spices, look up Elizabeth Davids version which is my favourite but others are out there. Being a dish which you boil then rest its ideal for Trangia cooking, plus if you carry a fresh onion, rice and lentils it takes up very little space.

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
As a main course kichiri takes some beating, onions, rice, lentils and spices, look up Elizabeth Davids version which is my favourite but others are out there. Being a dish which you boil then rest its ideal for Trangia cooking, plus if you carry a fresh onion, rice and lentils it takes up very little space.
I use the simmer ring quite a lot with the Trangia when cooing with pulses or making rice based dishes.
A hearty Dal takes a lot of beating especially if made with coconut milk.

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
Simmer in the pan sponges and custard are hard to beat. The ones with a foil lid - chilled counter or off the shelf.

Again the simmer ring and meths works wonders. One fill up will simmer for 20 plus ministers.

I put a loose foil lid on the pan so the water doesn’t evaporate too quickly and a gentle simmer gets the pudding nice a hot all the way through.

Reactions: Kadushu

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE