What excites you about spring arriving?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Unless you’ve specifically pollinated squash flowers from the same type, the chances are it’s been cross pollinated with a different variety. Either that or an F1 hybrid so you won’t get a true fruit from saved seed.

Any squash seed I save is from a plant from heritage stock and that I’ve pollinated and tagged.

Beans not so bad - I have hundreds of saved seeds that I give away with no worries!

Reactions: Woody girl

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Unless you’ve specifically pollinated squash flowers from the same type, the chances are it’s been cross pollinated with a different variety. Either that or an F1 hybrid so you won’t get a true fruit from saved seed.

Any squash seed I save is from a plant from heritage stock and that I’ve pollinated and tagged.

Beans not so bad - I have hundreds of saved seeds that I give away with no worries!

It was all part of an experiment to see what could be grown from kitchen waste.
Most was successful, but the problem is you never know the variety, or what it could have been cross pollinated with. I have grown them successfully like this before. This time however it was a flop for food production. Lovely decorations though it wasn't my aim.

Disabled Preppers

Apr 3, 2023
west midlands
Like @Woody girl we try and save plants and grow from free seed some work some don't but if the land is going spare i throw somethign on or in the pots to try and get something to eat , i have doubles strawberry production lol mainly due ot the fact we freeze these for winter treats and a summer pudding in the middle of a cold wet winter can make you smiler and think not long now until summer is back .
I will just be planting these squash on top of the compost bin and as that is 8ft sq a fair bit of room for them and lots of nice waste to grow on , again as i say free space shame to waste it , we do get a fair haul of spuds from the bin to lol , all the old spuds waste goes on and well spuds grow and when i turn it over we get lovely clean spuds , i have never been a one for variety i call it by what it is the best tasting to me lol , if i grow something that tastes good i save the name .
Well today was rest day as over done it a little trying to weed carrots parsnips swedes and beetroots took it's toll on us both so today was sit in the sun and rest .
Happy growing all

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Wild strawberries are in flower, they seem to have moved from their usual spot and are now colonising where I usualy plant courgettes, but they do look so pretty, all in flower promising a delightful addition to my cornflakes .
Hawthorn is in full flower, and elder blossom is budding prolifically this year. Even my little potted elder has a few umbrels this year.
Summer is almost here.
Saw the first sign of summer today, ....a shirtless man, all pasty white. ......where are my sunglasses? :)

Disabled Preppers

Apr 3, 2023
west midlands
@Woody girl lol oh the wilds now your talking bubble gum , we have a huge patch of these growing wild so to speak , i planted some i nthe rockey behind the bbq and extras got planted under where the blackberry frame is and they have carpeted the area we love these but you do have to eat fresh but in saying that this year i am going to try and dehydrate some because we can pick may be a cup or 2 a day when fruiting so if i do i will may be freeze them then once i have enough to do 3 to 5 trays in the dehydrator they will be tried , it never hurts to experiment .
I will say you give these to people and they are like holy ship what a favour , our neighbour after we had been here 3 years we gave her some to pop in her ice cream and she said wow these are great where can i buy them lol , we did explain you do not get them in the shops they do not store .
I planted 2 years ago a couple of pink currant bushes , we have red and white and black so when i saw the pink well my wife said we got to try them i pop a couple in and this year we will get a small crop to add to the others .

Saw the first sign of summer today, ....a shirtless man, all pasty white. ......where are my sunglasses? :)

Ah so you should walk [past out garden people use to say holy ship you must be cold as in winter i can be seen in the garden in a t shirt lol andm ost of the year shirtless but my reason is due to brain damage my body struggles to control heat , you would laugh one year at our allotment in hertfordshire it was cold i mean breath out icy cold , there is me at the allotment in a t shirt digging out the weeds and people going past looking and well a couple who had come to their plots are like jesus you must be mad but i was having a bad spell of heat control so now my wife is going through the menopause i can sympathis been there done that .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE