What excites you about spring arriving?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
Looking out of the window of my warm centrally heated house at the bright sunny day and thinking
“I don’t need my hat and gloves today”

To then freeze 5 minutes after leaving the house

Reactions: DocG

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Day length changes are considerable here at 53N. The increase, especially in the afternoons, is most welcome. At the solstice, it was mountain range shadows after 1:50PM and pitch-friggin' black by 3:30PM. Now, I can pour a drink in daylight.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
This week I leave when it's still daylight, just, to pick up my son from the train station in the evening :)
Knowing that soon he'll be going to and from work in daylight is a relief. It's the reality for many that the working day means they see little daylight, and it slowly dims everyone.

We get very long Summer days here, and I find myself longing for all those extra hours. Full of potential :D

M

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Oddly enough, I used to like finishing work when it's dark.
I used to work in town and would walk home through a large park and I enjoyed walking in the dark and looking up to the stars and testing myself on the constellations.
When the evenings got lighter I used to miss that.
It was a calm and reflective part of the day that's just not the same when loads of other people are about and dog walkers are still there with their barking animals and kids shouting and screaming.
Though I no longer work in town and have to drive to work, I still enjoy coming home in the dark. It still brings on that period of calm and peace that I enjoy.

Reactions: Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I like walking in the dark, so I can understand your perspective. But, my son has no real daylight through the week during Winter. Only at the weekend does he have time to be out in the light. He works in the city centre, and even a walk at lunchtime isn't really bright there.

chimpy leon

Jul 29, 2013
staffordshire
I like almost everything about spring arriving - the sunshine, the increased wildlife, the colours, the bird song, the lighter nights, the warmth, the smell of the cut grass and flowers and just generally the pleasantness to be outside in.
…In fact there is only one single thing I dislike hate with a passion about spring, and that is when people utter the three words: “spring has sprung”. - Just shut up! :mad:

Always people. Always.

:D

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
The swifts arriving.

I heard my first ones skreeing overhead today :)
Swallows have been about here for about 3 weeks now despite the weather not having warmed up much.

I’ve been able to get out quite a bit recently, everything seems to be getting it on very nicely.

06D4AE4F-AB29-4CFB-A7F2-C1DCBA0EE4E7.jpegBB231E38-B4FB-49A2-A290-2A2A128B7A85.jpegC9831A66-8D77-4A61-A7BD-6CA83186CA99.jpeg7CF2F137-49F6-44EE-84D4-153274E1D265.jpeg

Reactions: Toddy

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Watching all my lovely little veg seedlings poking their noses above the soil.
The sight and scent of wild garlic and bluebells.
Sunshine.
Warmth!

Disabled Preppers

Apr 3, 2023
west midlands
I must say spring has been here a while for me in the poly tunnel but i love the warmer days and watching things grow , ok laugh all you like but i had a lovely butternut the other day and saved all the seed threw them in a pot i would say 100 plus seeds , i forgot what i had put in the pot and thw wife said what the hell look at the soil on these 2 pots lol huge mushroom bulge type on the soil , today the seed are above the soil so i now worked out that was it lol but i thing we have over 50 butternut plants but only need 4 lol .
I also love the fact today the ground was dry enough to crawl on my hands and knees between the carrots and parsnips and weed and omg them weeds are growing fast .
Get in the garden and get the sun on your back oh that feels so good

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I must say spring has been here a while for me in the poly tunnel but i love the warmer days and watching things grow , ok laugh all you like but i had a lovely butternut the other day and saved all the seed threw them in a pot i would say 100 plus seeds , i forgot what i had put in the pot and thw wife said what the hell look at the soil on these 2 pots lol huge mushroom bulge type on the soil , today the seed are above the soil so i now worked out that was it lol but i thing we have over 50 butternut plants but only need 4 lol .
I also love the fact today the ground was dry enough to crawl on my hands and knees between the carrots and parsnips and weed and omg them weeds are growing fast .
Get in the garden and get the sun on your back oh that feels so good
Ha!
I did that with saved from shop bought, butternut seeds last year. I got two different coloured types (one green and yellow striped, one white) small butternut shaped,squashes, roughly six on each plant. Great thinks myself, lots of good food there!
When picked, they were as hard as nuts! No edible flesh to speak of, so they went for harvest festival decorations at the church. What a waste of growing space, time and effort!!! :( :(
You live and learn.

Reactions: Disabled Preppers

Disabled Preppers

Apr 3, 2023
west midlands
Ha!
I did that with saved from shop bought, butternut seeds last year. I got two different coloured types (one green and yellow striped, one white) small butternut shaped,squashes, roughly six on each plant. Great thinks myself, lots of good food there!
When picked, they were as hard as nuts! No edible flesh to speak of, so they went for harvest festival decorations at the church. What a waste of growing space, time and effort!!! :( :(
You live and learn.
LOL your right on that , i just threw them in because mine had not come up lol but all mine came good 10 out of 10 came lol , i did the same with cucumbers i was feeling so let down as i germinate seeds under grow lights indoorsl ool my cucumbers where doing rubbish so i had a spare pack of old seed and popped them in 5 pots in the tunnel and forgot them lol then these 10 plants came up to me scratching me head going ok i know thye look like the squash family what the hell did i plant lol , the wife poked me and said told you them old seeds are ok and reminded me .
I will do 8 inthe tunnelk and the other 6 cucumbers i have i will pop them in a chicken wire frame in the garden , i am terrible with seeds because if they are not up and growing the next day i lose faith lol
Hence alwayshaving to many plants to give away , i have around 100 marigolds lol yup sowed them and nothing so i put them trays to the side in the tunnel and sowed more lol then my wife said hmmm these are marigolds but so are these what the heck lol

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE