What do you want to do?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
Hi guys and girls

I was just wondering if you could choose to learn one skill what would it be? It doesn't need to be bushcraft related it might be something that you can kind of do but you're rubbish at it, or something that you plan to learn just never find the time

For me it would need to be drawing, I'm not horrible but i would love to have Bikers skill for example. I have been looking at the web for the last couple of hours in wonder having found people who can draw in photographic quality.

check this out

So come on peeps What Do You Want To Do?

Dave

Last edited:

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
DUDE that one is just about practice, I love swimming and think it is a really important life skill considering 70% of the surface of the earth is water lol

Dave

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
I want to go back to the days when it was a relaxing hobby / pass time and it wasn't known as an industry no one wanted your shirt off your back for outdoor kit and everyone thought the people who went to the woods to live under bushes or a sheet and eat weeds and vermin were mad so stayed away.... ho hum...

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
DUDE that one is just about practice, I love swimming and think it is a really important life skill considering 70% of the surface of the earth is water lol

Dave

Nearly drown as a child and hate the water since, I wade if i fish and will go in the sea but dont swim..

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
An aptitude for languages would be good. I find it embarressing that as a nation us brits are so poor. Other than that I'd like to be able to play the Piano like Jerry Lee Lewis - just one song, really, jaw droppingly well.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
I want to go back to the days when it was a relaxing hobby / pass time and it wasn't known as an industry no one wanted your shirt off your back for outdoor kit and everyone thought the people who went to the woods to live under bushes or a sheet and eat weeds and vermin were mad so stayed away.... ho hum...

Is time travel a skill Paganwolf, if so, can it be learned ?

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
to be able to take photos as good as the second poster in this thread aka wayland and yes i am learning but its taking along bloody time i will tell you that for nothing
but as my late grandad would say (RIP Grandad) SLOWLY SLOWLY CATCH YOUR MONKEY
and the funny thing is the amount of times he said it when he was teaching me things is untrue and thats why i have come to realise photograthy is exactly the same

drew

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I have always wanted to be able to draw buildings and crags and hills. Just a pencil drawing. Not like Wainwright but more with the attention for detail that an architectural artist might have. You remember that programme on autistic kids with amazing talents (savants). Well there was one kid who could draw any building he had seen with a precision that was totally amazing. Even a long time after seeing it. All from memory. He has grown up and is making a living travelling the world and drawing. His drawings are selling for good money and he's making a living out of it. He is even going off into the world on his own and communicating with people. Basically his art is his trade and its also his treatment or it at least helps his condition.

Anyway that is the skill I'd like. I reckon a course and practise would help but I am a little worried that it is not in me at all. Afterall as a kid me and my sis would be given some paper and pencils and told to draw something. At that point my sister got stuck in but I'd just look at the paper and nothing. I'd ask draw what and they'd say anything. Still nothing came into my head to draw. When they gave up and told me what to draw it turned out totally unrecognisable. It is not that I am not creative cause I am, just not creative in that way. Anyway I'd really like to give a course a proper go, but I won't. I'd rather not try than fail as its something I really want to be able to do. Daft eh?!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I once got a harmonica from the wife's granddad, so far I've managed a very poor rendition of popeye, one day I hope to achieve this ...

About 2 mins in ...
[video=youtube;pJB1j5PFsQg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJB1j5PFsQg&feature=re lated[/video]

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
When you do meet someone with these sorts of drawing or musical skills it is amazing and annoying too. Afterall how can one person have so much talent when others don't even an ounce of the stuff?! Not fair distribution at all. A mate at uni had musical and language skills. He'd pull up[ a chair to the piano and play anything from classical music that came from his head or something he had heard (seriously he could compose as he played) to rhytham and blues (better than Jools Holland) and anything in between!! Would play for hours then suddenly mid tune get up and go out. He also taught himself Japanese from scratch in two weeks good enough to write a critical review of a piece of Japanese literature (quality novel not manga or something). He said it was a part of his course (linguistics) but I know from others on his course and they didn't have to do that much. Was only his first year too.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
It's in the pipeline for next year on how to weld (just because) and other metalworking bits (I sometime have little ideas, mostly bushcraft related, but lack the skills. Also interested in cake decorating - I find it very relaxing to bake cakes, etc. So maybe go and find a friendly bakery who's willing to teach the skills in return for free labour a few hours a week.

Most things I'd like to learn have to do with working with my hands. Something I never do or learnt, as the tools of my trade consist of a fountain pen, laptop and books with laws ...

Though I do want to learn (yet) another language (either Arab or Russian) - as they don't look like anything remote to the languages I already speak), to keep the grey stuff active ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE