Batteries

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

What Battery would you need the most of if going without power for a long time?

• Total voters

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Just wondering what type of battery is most prevalent for the bits and pieces that are related to our hobby , be that bushcraft , bit of self reliance , glamping - something on that spectrum.

What battery do you use the most of or would need access to if you were doing what ever you were intending for a long time? What do your torches take? Radios? Head torches?

Feel free to leave a comment for what you use your batteries for and what they take or just fill in the poll if you don't have the energy and are not filling positive ( little battery joke ) - please - no negative feedback.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
AA for me as a single AA torch or head torch is light and pocket size. I can also run it with rechargeables and have a packet of normal batteries in case of lengthy powercuts.

I have often wondered though, why aren't there many torches that use 9v PP3s which would seem an ideal battery for them.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
I have often wondered though, why aren't there many torches that use 9v PP3s which would seem an ideal battery for them.
Apologies,
you're getting the short answer cos' It's to late at night to be waffling about Ohms Law & battery chemistry
So..
The pixies in the PP3 are few but angry and LED's like calm crowds of pixies. They can be made to play together but this requires electronic witchcraft and that costs more.

Reactions: Macaroon

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
AAA for a copper Lumintop Tool that’s always in my pocket. Also for the Alpkit Gamma or whatever it is.

18650 does a lot of torch work, as does the larger 21700. 18650 is my most used battery by far.

14500 (AA size but Li-on 3.8v) also for torches. Like Jared, mine have USB slots so dead easy to keep charged.

Reactions: TeeDee

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Yeah, USB slots on the battery is the way to go for small lights that I tend to use 90% of the time. Once have two of them, can be charging one, whilst the other powers a light.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Yeah, USB slots on the battery is the way to go for small lights that I tend to use 90% of the time. Once have two of them, can be charging one, whilst the other powers a light.

Ok, happy to run with that - so do you have a way to charge them in the field if necessary? Would that be a solar panel ? Biolite stove? Waterlily style micro charger? Powerpack?( which is just a larger battery )

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Depends, on whether think I'd need to recharge the phone. Will have a powerpack then, but usually just have spare AA NiMhs, and/or lithium primaries.

The flashlight is really a spare battery carrier for the headlamp.

Last edited:

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
I have a Led lensor headlamp with a battery pack and a P7r with a large 21700 battery that I use for outdoors and work. Both have internal chargers meaning I just need a cable and usb power source BUT for long term use I favour AA or AAA lights due to availability anywhere in the world 24/7

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE