What do you want to do?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
I once got a harmonica from the wife's granddad, so far I've managed a very poor rendition of popeye, one day I hope to achieve this ...

A fella I knew in Kilmarnock, Stuart Farquharson won all the sections / heats ( Diatonic melodic, blues rock, chromatic solo, senior jazz and senior duo. ) in the UK mouthy championships a few years back - hadn't been done before. The mans skills are truly amazing.

He's here on youtube in a band.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Swim confidently... I used to be able to when I was little but one day I got cramp when I was in the pool and nearly drowned and that just knocked me back.

Learn to play a musical instrument.

Sew to the standard my mother could... her quilting was amazing

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I once fancied flying the space shuttle (too late now I suppose) but I never fancied the bit where they sit you on top of a 2,000 ton bomb and light the fuse, so I thought I'd give it a miss. :)

Lumber Jack

Tenderfoot
Jul 3, 2011
I'm from Yorkshire, lad.
Is time travel a skill Paganwolf, if so, can it be learned ?

Stephen Hawking seems to think so in the "Universe in a nutshell", one of his books :) If you ever get the chance, have a flick through it and devour it, it's fascinating. Avoid the picture of him on the back of the book though. He always gives me the creeps:(

A skill I'd like to learn...Well.

I'd like to learn Free fall techniques. Exiting at 24,000ft with oxygen ect. That would be amazing and a dream come true.

I can say that playing an instrument is a joy. I play the guitar, classical and electrical and the Piano. Both of which were at grade 7. I say were because I rarely play the piano anymore. But I play the guitar whenever I have a spare minute.:) I still turn all the lights off in the room and play along to backing tracks of Jimi Hendrix. all along the watch tower is one of my favorite ever pieces by the great man. The wind cries Mary being another.

There's another skill I'd like. Having the feel and ability to improvise like Hendrix. That sound is jaw dropping and unmistakable... And people say miracles never happen. One walked the earth from November 27, 1942 to September 18, 1970. :)

Now excuse me, whilst I go kiss the sky!:cool:;)

LJ

Last edited:

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
I'd like to be able to sing better, to accompany myself with the guitar. Just bought a longboard, that's something I want to get good at, learn how to pump and carve.

Something that I can't so but wish I could? Acrobatics/gymnastics. Like walking on my hands, or being able to do cartwheels on the same spot, doing a 1 hand handstand, siting in the lotus position. I'm just not that coordinated or balanced.

Bushcrafty? I'd like to be able to make a fire piston with only a knife.

Chrisj

Nomad
Oct 14, 2009
Gwynedd
Play guitar. I am leaning at the moment but as I'm not one of those people that has a natural gift it is really hard going.

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
I think the guitar is possibly the best musical instrument in the world, it sounds sooo different in each persons hands and can be made to do pretty much anything

I'd love to be scary good on the Guitar

Dave

Maggot

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Somerset
Another language, absolutely fluently.

I used to work with a Polish doctor, her English was so good that she used to think in English too. If I had a choice it would be French.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Guitar is hard at first, but when you make it over the initial phase your momentum will carry you through. Personally I think it's much harder to progress from a guitar player to a musician. I'd love to develop my ear, my sense of melody and rythme. There are a lot of flamenco players here, and a few manouche, arabic, and reggae players too. Playing with others has such a positive impact on your own playing. Its made me evaluate where i am, and opened up lots of new ideas (i learnt minor swing by reinhardt, never knew 6th chords) Best thing to do if you're struggling is to play with others, or if there is nobody to have a friend learn with you.

To your defence; when most of the world speak your language it is stricktly not nesessary to learn theirs.

But it is not a bad thing to speak one or more foreign languages anyway.

I would like to play my jaw harp really well.

Well in terms of world media and learning yeah English is dominant, but really I think as a life skill the ability to speak Spanish as a 2nd language will get you as far as having English for your second language.

I'm fluent in French, it was my first language, but my vocabulary needs strengthing these days. It is helping my Spanish but it is tough going, I don't have much discipline ;)

Chrisj

Nomad
Oct 14, 2009
Gwynedd
Thanks for the encouragement folks. To be fair I'm not doing so bad. It's just the more you learn, the more you realise how much more there is to learn. Still I think pretty much every skill that is worth learning is like that. You never stop learning.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE