What do you use...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
A ferro rod mate, it can be used to light from feather sticks to candles to stoves works even when wet its a reliable method tried and tested, i found one in ashdown forest that had been there for who knows how long, corroded near through green in colour and the plastic handle gnored on by animals yet still cast a spark and lit birch bark scrapings. If i could only have one way of lihting a fire this would be my choice.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
I think we had this one recently...........................but Swedish fire steel, ferro rod or whatever you want to call it.
Completely reliable will light a multitude of tinders natural and man made, easy to master and in my opinion probably one of the best inventions ever for the survivalist/bushcrafter given the importance of fire. I get more pleasure lighting fire by bow drill but if I just want a quick brew fire or am tired etc definately ferro rod.

May 14, 2006
Consett County Durham
I have firesteels but for sheer ease of use I don't think you can beat a BlastMatch!
It has all the usuall features you'd expect from a firesteel but with the bonus of a thicker rod (more strikes), a built in protective case and can be used one handed ( handy when your holding tinder in place or covering it from wind etc.
Add to this it's built in scraper that is always at the correct angle and I think it's just about perfect.

Kev

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Has nobody tried holding wet birch bark up above their heads while standing on top of a big hill in a lightning storm?

I have heard it's a very effective bad weather method :D

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
If im not really hungry and cold then a ferro rod but to be honest most of the time half a hexi block and a lighter. :eek:

I do like going back to the firesteel for a bit of a challenge but most of the time i want a fire quick (usually hungry :rolleyes: ) and i cheat lol banish me now !

Bushcraft4life

Settler
Dec 31, 2006
London
I usually take a couple of different ways to start a fire. If i am not cold and hungry its my custom stu barker firesteel (it rocks :D ). But if i am tired i just get out my zippo and the lighter fluid :ban:

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
I carry a firesteel and have learnt the bow and drill method. But i always try to make it easy for myself so i also have a triple jet flame lighter . Yes i know it's cheating but i could have my cup of tea and be on my way instead of still rubbing them sticks together

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
I carry wooden matches, an aquaintance has pursuaded me to start using a butane lighter.
Oh yes, I can easily start a fire using friction, ferro rod, flint and steel etc... but I don't see the need to ever constantly proove myself. Practise makes perfect but I am realistic also, git er done.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
If im not really hungry and cold then a ferro rod but to be honest most of the time half a hexi block and a lighter. :eek:

I do like going back to the firesteel for a bit of a challenge but most of the time i want a fire quick (usually hungry :rolleyes: ) and i cheat lol banish me now !

My usual method, as I've said. Life is too short. I do carry a ferro rod, and use it for novelty now and again. I find it the best mthod of lighting stoves and not burning my fingers too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE