What to use as tinder in different parts of Europe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Here in Finland my first and second choices would be birch bark, third could be debated. But what is the standard in others parts? I actually have no idea as I have never had to light a fire anywhere else.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
When I saw the title I was going to ask if their were any Finnish dating sites...

As for fire lighting stuff, I like using cramp ball fungi (Daldinia concentrica) to catch a spark and then anything dry as tinder. As it grows on ash it's far more common round here than birch.

Reactions: Toddy and R_Fonseca

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Collect ragwort seeds for the spark then dry wood shavings. Don’t do fuzz sticks.
When I run out of the ragwort hoard I just use cotton wool balls or shredded paper handkerchiefs

Reactions: Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I make tinder bundles. They're basically whatever I have to hand that I know will catch and then make a flame and hold it until the timber catches alight.
I wrap them in birch bark :) and I use the birch bark under the hearth board to catch and hold the ember to blow up into flame.
I like chagga, fomes, and mugwort for preference.

Edit,
Old thread, not going to copy the photos across.

Reactions: Pattree

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Mugwort? I didn’t know about that. How is that used?
Mugwort's an old hearth herb.
If you dry it, or just pick dry leaves, there are always some hanging on the stalks, and rub them up into a kind of fluffy clump. It'll take a spark, but more it will help heat up and then burst into flame when it's blown on. Try it through a tube of birchbark for instance.
The dried flower bud clusters are better yet.
It's called Moxa in the far east.

It burns with a beautifully scented very white smoke. Indeed blowing it you can make billows of smoke :)

Reactions: AlexUK

R_Fonseca

Tenderfoot
Jul 6, 2021
Dublin
www.fonseca.ie
Following this with interest.

Very difficult to find anything dry here, especially in winter. Unless planned ahead I think often the only option would be to split a piece of dry wood and make a fine feather stick. Or birch bark if there is any.

I'll look out from cramp balls to give that try also. Never actually tried it, so gives me something to look for.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE