What do you use for spoon templates

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Hi all,

I'm getting increasingly more frustrated with cardboard templates falling apart and want to make something more permanent.

I've seen people like Lee Stoffer using rigid plastic that looks like they have been cut out of a sheet soft enough to be cut by scissors and am wondering what the material may be.

I know I can recycle and use pop bottles but suspect they will be slightly curved and like the idea of markings out several on a sheet.
My Google fu is failing as I can only find solid Perspex type sheets.

What say the collective hive mind of BCUk?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Carve a template out of wood.

I've got a short stack of flexible plastic "cutting sheets" in the kitchen, 11" x 15".
They might go 1mm thick or less.
You dice a bunch of stuff then fold the sheet to funnel the food into a bowl.
They are cleaver-proof. Try a kitchen store.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
so far i've never made two the same, i just wing it all the way

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Same here - the closest I come to a template is sometimes drawing around an existing bowl to get a rough size ...the rest is all by eye...

My main problem is I can't freehand worth a damn and like to keep as symmetrical as I can in the marking out stages.
Cardboard lets me lay out a general shape which then changes as I carve depending on the wood but they wear out quite quickly.

Will definitely be looking at the flexible chopping board idea.

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
I used plastic file dividers. Found some that were sort of clear. I don't use them much though.

Establishing a centre-line is the important thing for me. For that I have a very bendy ruler so I can flex it around the crank. There are three points to line up; the tip of the bowl, the centre of the handle at the narrowest point by the bowl and the end of the handle. I often find that my over-enthusiastic chopping puts the narrow part of the handle off-centre, so I will have to adjust the handle or the bowl to line it all back up again.

Z

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Pacific Northwest native carvers have large collections of templates such as for eye parts in many sizes.
Their traditional material has been birch bark. Given pole carving intervals, they didn't see much use
such as the thin plastic sheet that many here suggest.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I've made carvings where I needed parts in repetition, the same size and shape.
Other times, the template was a starting point with the design(s) shifted around.

I need a template for a Raven. Life size or bigger, stylized design. I need 4 of them, pretty much the same.
This one will be plastic as so many suggest.

As much as I like the regularity of a well carved spoon, I hope that they never look machine made.
The "free-style" spoons that I've seen here in BCUK would be wonderful on a table set for 8 people!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I never made a list of the carvers.
There's a bunch of spoon carvers in BCUK who entertain my every chance to see their work.
Skip the conventional. The Brits in BCUK have a great variety of design ideas.

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Thought I'd do a quick update after a quiet hour in my workshop yesterday.
Good call on the cheaply cutting boards and I still have two left for more designs.
2cba1c08f18fd55573d9231dbe1cc80f.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE