Ok, what do others fill their sacks with and then carry?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
For what it counts, I don't consider weight reduction, or using a small pack to be elitist in any way. In fact, the whole movement in reducing weight in part started as a way to reduce costs. Of course you can spend tons of money of products designed to cut weight, but that is true with everything. How many of us are sporting $500 canvas pack, $200 canvas tarps, and $150 merino wool t-shirts in the name of bushcraft? Bushcraft can be done on the cheap, or it can be done with lost of money. Same goes for saving weight.

I originally didn't post in this thread because I didn't think you would take the comment seriously, until I saw your post in the other thread. I'm with you on this one. I have no idea how people manage to fill such huge packs. Well, I do, I just try not to do it myself. I also don't believe that being able to carry your gear on your back is in any way elitist. Here is a list of gear one can put together for about $400 that will weigh about 13 lb and fit without a problem in a 45L pack: http://woodtrekker.blogspot.com/2013/10/beginners-guide-to-affordable-bushcraft.html

Me too.

I think gear choice is something that takes time and experience to hone and pin down. The only way is to get out with it and see how it works out. No need to reinvent the wheel though, hence why a place like this is a good resource for finding out what others are using for similar activities. I certainly had mentors to pass on wisdom and peers with whom to share ideas at every turn, so there's lots of collective experience to heed and to draw from as we find our way to individual preference.

Good article in your blog there Ross, I'll give it a thorough read this evening when I get in from work. But by a quick look I can see we're more or less on the same page gear wise.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE