What shape striker / firesteel do you use?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
I've finally decided to get a steel striker and try some flint and steel fire lighting. However, there is nowhere I can go to try out the various designs of striker before I buy, so I would like to appeal your collective experience on the subject.

What shape striker do you use and what are the pros and cons of that shape?

If you can recommend a supplier, that would be great.

Also, has anyone tried using quartz instead of flint using this method? There is quartz pretty much everywhere I camp over here, so it would be great if I could get that to work once I've managed to use the flint and steel.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Here are some of mine:

image.jpg

My favourite is the Andrew Kirkham one- viking/ Albanian label tribe is it's name, I bought it from Shark designs. It has the most comfortable grip and throws great sparks.

My second favourite is the Pathfinder school one, with the awl and blanket pin function, great striker and great sparks, can be slightly difficult to grip as it is large- they do however do a small one.

I've found flint on beaches and use that but I've used a few pieces of quartz before too. It worked but it was not as good as flint. It made sparks enough to light the tinder but you need to replace the bits used a bit because the edge you may be able to get by smashing rocks wares and crumbles down quickly. All in flint is much better- a decent peice will,last ages but if you've got loads of quartz you should be fine to get new prices when they're needed.

hope this helps! :)

Edit:

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114716

That thread has lots of designs in so that might be useful :).

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Thanks, Cameron. I remember that thread alright, it got me thinking about getting a striker.

That pathfinder one looks interesting. I got some kit from pathfinder recently, but I don't remember seeing that on their website.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Thanks. Is it good to get one that has an open space in the middle, if that makes sense?

I've been looking through the options from shark design on their new website too: http://www.beaverbushcraft.co.uk/

I've only used a few and the oval certainly is easy to manipulate, even with cold stiff fingers. And buy the way you are an evil man popping that new link up, it just puts temptation in my way!

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Haha. It's an easier site to navigate, therefore easier to spend money on! However, it seems you can get a couple f quid off on extra tinders and flints from them when you buy a striker, which is a nice touch and encourages us to spend even more.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Haha. It's an easier site to navigate, therefore easier to spend money on! However, it seems you can get a couple f quid off on extra tinders and flints from them when you buy a striker, which is a nice touch and encourages us to spend even more.

Yeah, they're great at shark tinder! I've had little samples of tinder thrown in and bits of nice flint- great service and lovely to deal with! :)

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I've found that it doesn't really make a scrap of difference what shape the steel is, to the amount of sparks you generate.

I've got several different styles, from twisted ones by a lad on here (sorry I've forgotten who!:eek:) and oval ones by the late Mike Ameling, on to bits of old file from John Fenna, all of which work superbly well.

The oval type and any with a loop formation, allow you to attach a lanyard making them a bit more secure but after that, as long as they work, it boils down to what you want it to look like. Saying that, I have to say that I'd much rather have something made by a genuine hobbyist/crafstman, rather than something commercial.

good luck

Steve

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I use home made strikers ... as simple as just bits of carefully snapped high carbon file with the sides smoothed off and all sharp edges ground off to home forged ones ... from old files...
Shape is down to personal preference - it is the quality of the steel that counts:)
I often use quartz in demos - it is just as easy to get sparks from but crumbles faster than flint so you get through a lot more rock :)

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Johns "Dragons Breath" kits are fantastic, I mean seriously good.;)

Anyway, heres a bit of video I did a while back:
[video=youtube;Gj08TL5G724]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gj08TL5G724[/video]
Just watch you don't set your trousers alight!

Oh and the steel in the snippet, is the one I got from a maker on here but shamefully can't remember who:eek:

best wishes

Steve

Like Rancid Badger, I, shamefully, forgot who made mine...

It's one of those dragon shaped steels and it lives, along with its original piece of flint, in a tiny, leather drawstring pouch in the lid pocket of my rucksack.

I bought it more as a traditional and functional work of art more than anything and it rarely gets used, apart from demonstration purposes (it has never failed to light a fire) - plus it fits with my philosophy of always carrying different ways of making fire in different parts of your kit.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Thanks for all your replies. So the shape then has little impact on how comfortable and easy they are to use, so just pick one I like the look of?

I have no old files in the shed, so I'll probably end up buying a steel of some sort to get me started. It might be nice to make one when I have the materials though. I prefer to make as much of my own kit as I can.

I'm glad to hear that I can use a local resource with the steel. The idea of importing flint when needed was kind of putting me off this for a while.

Feb 18, 2012
Bedfordshire
I have used Shark design/Beaver bushcraft a couple of times and also found their kit and service good. I use the C shape type just because I liked the look of it. There was a chap selling strikers on here from Lithuania for a while but I think he is taking a break at the moment. They are very good quality and I hope he sells more in the future.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
This is mine:

SteelStriker01_sm.jpg

It was made for me by a Danish blacksmith based on a Viking/Saxon era design. It works very well giving nice sparks. My main rational behind getting it was the authentic design, as I use it for lighting the fire when reenacting.

I have considered getting one like this:

m_AK_steel_english_18cent.jpg

That is slightly easier to hold in the hand, as a more modern alternative.

Julia

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Great. I quite like the look of the curly 'viking' type ones, but the U shaped variants look like they might be nicer to use. It's hard to know.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
We generally use the Viking style ones but also have some home made 'wood file with the teeth ground off' ones too

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
I decided to make my own rather than buy as I really do prefer my home made kit :)

I've been on the look out for old files, but havn't seen any yet. I have, however, been given a couple of old hay rake tines by a friend of mine, with the promise of a few more in time if they prove to be useful.

I've heard they have pretty good steel in them for strikers and possibly even knives. I was wondering, however, how much of a 'forge' would I need to make one of these into a striker? Will I get away with a blow torch, an anvil and a lump hammer, or will I need to make a rudimentary forge of some sort? Any and all advice is greatly appreciated :)

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I decided to make my own rather than buy as I really do prefer my home made kit :)

I've been on the look out for old files, but havn't seen any yet. I have, however, been given a couple of old hay rake tines by a friend of mine, with the promise of a few more in time if they prove to be useful.

I've heard they have pretty good steel in them for strikers and possibly even knives. I was wondering, however, how much of a 'forge' would I need to make one of these into a striker? Will I get away with a blow torch, an anvil and a lump hammer, or will I need to make a rudimentary forge of some sort? Any and all advice is greatly appreciated :)

Not much mate- I mate my squirrel cooker in a wood burner and used an old spitting and as an anvil and a hammer along with some tongs. It was quite easy really and great fun to do. I did attempt a striker with a bit of file but I cocked the temper up so it through barely any sparks. I reckon you'll crack one mate- good luck :).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE