What do you use as a ground sheet / floor for your lavvu?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gearpac

Nov 6, 2007
North Wales
Hi Folks,
Needing some help. I need some flooring material for my Tentipi Varrie 9.

In the past with the Relum bell tent, I used some rather cheap PVC grey ground sheets. They were ok, but wound up with holes in them where chair legs/beds pressed down on it.
They were cheap enough to replace every few years and were fine. Apart from being freezing cold on your feet when you need that late night excursion to the loo!

However, these never fully covered the floor and so used to get a fair bit of cold creeping up from the ground as a heat sink effect and damp forming.

So, now I want to get a set of ground sheets, to cover the entire floor of the varrie, with the option to lift part/sections etc for safe fire positioning.
Been a long time since I looked the options, material wise. And wondering what people were using.

Has to be water proof, and hopefully warm to walk on barefoot / sit upon.
Happy to cut to shape, and to section up, for laying / positioning options.

I recall seeing some great materials being used in a tentipi that was pitched near my tent in france a few years back, but never thought to ask what they used.

So, any tips and views, greatly appreciated.

Cheers john

dp0001

Forager
Apr 27, 2007
London
In the Polish laavu I use the green sheet from an ipk. Very tough material. You might need two if your tent is bigger.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
I wonder if any of the helsport floors would fit. They have various sizes with different options to open and close bits. I always just use a double bathtub floor to chuck my bed space on and put my boots on for trips outside.

If you are looking for a more glamping type arrangement then some of the family tents that go outdoors sells come with thin carpet type floor options that you could cut to fit. Im sure you can buy them separately

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
i used to use just a basic nylon tarp like the ones rik mentioned but i found they are noisy and slippy. recently i bought one of the generic pvc ground sheets from go outdoors. it was 4.5m x 2.8, so plenty of length for my 4m dia bison. i'm planning to cut it down and, as its pvc once its cut to shape, i can weld the off cuts to cover the rest of the floor. It seems to be pretty tough so fat.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
If my memory serves theres two different types of tentipi floor. The basic and more expensive.
The more expensive models of tentipi had a nylon powder skirt. Mine had a canvas powderskirt, the arran CP 7. But they were both 50cm.
I tucked the canvass skirt under the comfort groundsheet, then used 2 holdon clips at the bottom of each panel.
Keeps it from flapping around. You'd still wake up with snails and slugs etc on the inside of the tent.
The Tentipi is a fantastic tent, great to wake up under that yellow canvas, almost spiritual. They must be fantastic in the far north, with spruce and balsam boughs, or whatever, collected from the bottom of trunks, and used as floors, and a woodburning stove on skids.
But how often will you do that?
Most of my 'base camping' [car etc], is done in the UK. In the end I moved away from Tipi's as the majority of my camping is in the UK, and I think there are better choices......:sad6:

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I have the cross shaped zip floor for my Tentipi, but I've only used it once, much prefer the natural ground underneath me. Just be careful where you pitch it. If it gets muddy some boughs if fir etc. would help. But I feel the tent breathes better especially with the woodburner with no floor.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Have actually found that the floorless Tipi actually seems to do the grass good. Grass often longer and in better nick than surrounding grass due to greenhouse effect on the ground.

Last edited:

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
the thicker tarps from Costco are very good, Ive used them for our new lavuu and previously with no problems, pretty cheap as well for the quality.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE