Sharpening - some tips I've compiled

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

feralpig

Forager
Aug 6, 2013
Mid Wales
I have a knife, that I use every day, as part of my work. (Ground maintenance) I believe it has a high carbon blade, it was bought for me, I've had it for years.
I sharpen it on an oil stone, and to strop it, I run it along the top edge of the van window. Really takes the burr off, and puts a lethal sharp edge on it.
The edge doesn't last long, but I wouldn't really expect it to. Occasionally I cut electric wire with it, and whatever I cut always seems to have mud or dirt on it.

Muskett

Forager
Mar 8, 2016
East Sussex
Its really hard to write an article on sharpening knives as there are a good few ways of getting the desired result, and each have very specific technique. There is plenty of confusion between the techniques and not helped by conflicting advice.

Its all about using an abrasive to take metal off each side to meet at an angle. The rest is about how the abrasive works on a particular steel and what kind of edge will suit the knife's blade for the kinds of tasks it might be used for; what angle each side to get the desired edge, thin or thick, but still an apex. In sharpening its consistency of taking metal off at the right angle, be that by hand and eye or using some kind of mechanical contraption to keep consistent angle while the abrasive takes its time to abrade metal off.

What angle, what steel, what abrasive medium, how to work the abrasive? All questions that need answering.

Some abrasives work better on some metals than others, very hard modern steels might well require diamond. Its abrasion so takes time, so how much time does one want to take? Abrasives come in different coarseness, the coarser the faster they work but the the less smooth the final result. How perfect and smooth is needed?.
Quality diamond abrasives are very good.
Arkansan oil stones very good too, as are Indian and Japanese Water Stones.
Then there are ceramics and man made abrasives. I do like the Spyderco Crock Sticks.
There are even sandpapers that can do it.
Lastly, Polishes and Jeweller's Rouge for lapping/stropping.
Carbide is ripping and not a good system on the whole as they leave a very delicate "ripped edge".

Decide what you want, as in what sharp is desirable, then find a system that if executed well can give it. Normally different ways to do it, and different abrasives given different times to get there; doesn't have to be expensive. However long it takes than the angle has to be kept consistent. The better, right, tools just makes it easier. It really isn't that difficult.

Not easy putting it into words.

Last edited:
Reactions: Robson Valley

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE