Ok, what do others fill their sacks with and then carry?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
In response to this thread;

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108254

It seems some of you carry quite "big" sacks so I'm interested what you take if you'd care to share.

A full 120lt sack is a frightening prospect. I've carried some big heavy sacks in my time, but nothing that size :eek:

I used both a 70lt and 35 lt for years, the 70lt started giving up the ghost (stitching on the strap buckles started failing) and I got sick of repairing it, the 35lt is too small for anything other than a day sack.

So I went out for a look and ended up being convinced by pals to get a 47lt sack, I don't do much technical climbing any more so no need to carry rope rack and other associated dedicated equipment, if I do I still have my battered old 70lt.

I take zero "what if kit" and generally have just the clothes I stand in, or can wear at any one time. The exception being spare socks trollies change of base layer spare gloves and a spare hat. When fully dressed thats the only clothing in my bag. When on the move in nice weather, shell bottoms are stowed in my jacket pocket and my jacket slung over a the bottom loop of my left shoulder strap, any other unworn kit goes in the sack.

In my bag go's plastic bag sack liner (cut down plastic sack, heavy duty type), in that: my sleeping bag, bivi bag in winter, tent, stove (or cut down version thereof, usually) collapsable water bottles (flat packed 2lt plastic drinks bottles, just roll them up, hold tight and replace the lid) and food.

On my bag, sleeping mat, ice axe and crampons in winter, knotless landing net and 7wt (sometimes a 5wt too) fly rod in summer

There's still plenty room in my 47lt sack at that to include a; simple washing kit, including soap, basic first aid kit (including small sharp scissors tweezers and iodine), needle and thread, candle, map and compass, head torch, knife/multi tool, folding saw if I'm headed to the bogs, a couple of clipper lighters in fully serviceable condition, ball of string, spare plastic carrier bags and a few cotton rags.

If I'm fishing, which is my usual motivation, I'll also have a few flies, dries and wets, a couple of spools of line a reel or two and a few bits and bobs.

My only compromise on "what if kit" is my wee radio which has been up graded with a "bigger" and so heavier (x 4) wee radio last year, a tecsun multi band, including FM MW LW SW & SSB as I like getting the weather forecasts, eg outdoor activities forecast 07:00 & 19:00 BBC Radio Scotland for scottish up lands and coastal waters as thats where I spend time in the great outdoors. And a book.

Result = a 47lt sack with some room to spare, for the fish :lmao:

The biggest space saver I've noticed was moving from a bulky synthetic older style 4 season doss bag, to a modern 3 season synthetic version (mountain hardware Lamina 20), which is warm enough and comparable, if a little bulkier, to my old Rab 500g down bag, a bag in which I've had more than a few sub zero mountain evenings (summer alpine) to no ill effect. This new sleeping bag stuffs down quite a bit and has proven to be quite the space saver.

The tent is an Akto, not the lightest but better for it.

Obviously kit costs and I realize that some of the kit mentioned above could well be beyond the reach of some, but I'd be interested to hear what others take when they go for a spot of Camp and Carry?

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
Thanks for that, seems I left out my shades and jungle formula from my list above but I may have covered it in my fishing stuff, under bit's and bobs :D

That is a big bag though, even for winter but I guess thats what well prepared translates to in practice.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Last monthe I changed all my kit from a predator 45 with rocket pockets in to my old Vulcan with rocket pockets, didn't change any kit or take anything else, but that filled the Vulcan almost fully. Still cant figure that one out

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Pack size in my experience is mostly down to expense. There seems to be a little elitism about carrying a tiny pack.
For years I used a military issue sleeping bag because it was warm and more importantly cheap. The tarp I used was a coated cotton jobby which weighs half a ton and packs down to about the size of a small child. Same went for my sleeping matt and clothing.
I would like to see someone fit this into a 45 ltr pack.

Now if you have the cash you can buy a down bag that will take up about a third of the space of an issue bag. You can buy down jackets hat almost fit in your pocket, tiny light weight tarps and hammocks that again are half the weight and size of the cheaper stuff. This lot will fit into a 45 litre pack but at about 10X the cost.

Unless I am doing a hell of a lot of miles or going up the hills I take everything from wood working tools to sewing kits, extra clothing and things just to play with.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
This is my loadout.
Lowe Alpine Sting
Molle pouch holds
flashlight
keys
cordage
FAK
Teabags.
image_zps9532b38f.jpg

Left pocket 58' waterbottle on top.
image_zpsf26176b6.jpg

Right pocket
image_zpse6cdf335.jpg

Main compartment
image_zps07aeddba.jpg

Rubble bag with full set of spare clothes and base layer.
Bivvy bag
MPI space blanket (groundsheet)
Go Lite Shangri-la 5 or DPM basha
Green bag from USMSS
Nanok 0 bag

waterproof jacket fits on top.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...Unless I am doing a hell of a lot of miles..."

Usually, so a smaller pack for me, like Uilleachan a 47 litre one.

I have a big MSR dromedary bag for water but still prefer to use a pair of 58 bottles despite the weight. I also use rubble bags (tough bin bags) rather than stuff sacks, I have a very expensive and tiny four season bag but prefer to use one of my Woodlore ones if I'm away for more than two or three days. Gear wise I don't carry much, a pocket camera, a lightweight tarp, a small head torch, a sun hat and a wool hat. I use a buffalo top when walking which cuts down on the need for waterproofs, for cooking I usually have a small gas stove and maybe a titanium pot, sometimes a crusader mug.

At other times when I have a specific destination in mind and plan to spend more time there I will carry stuff to read or tools so I can 'craft'. More pots, more clothes and I might take my hammock too. :)

As far as the elitism of small packs goes, I once spent a very enjoyable Summer/Autumn in Eastern Europe, Greece and Italy and carried all that I needed to live in the woods or youth hostels in a 35 litre pack.

While the 'backpackers' would usually still be gasping there way along between the bus/train station and the youth hostel sweating under the weight of their 85 litre backpacks and 25 litre frontpacks, I'd already be unpacked, showered, changed and sitting in a bar watching them struggle by. I did feel a little bit better at that sort of thing yes. :)

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
Usually, so a smaller pack for me, like Uilleachan a 47 litre one.

I have a big MSR dromedary bag for water but still prefer to use a pair of 58 bottles despite the weight. I also use rubble bags (tough bin bags) rather than stuff sacks, I have a very expensive and tiny four season bag but prefer to use one of my Woodlore ones if I'm away for more than two or three days. Gear wise I don't carry much, a pocket camera, a lightweight tarp, a small head torch, a sun hat and a wool hat. I use a buffalo top when walking which cuts down on the need for waterproofs, for cooking I usually have a small gas stove and maybe a titanium pot, sometimes a crusader mug.

At other times when I have a specific destination in mind and plan to spend more time there I will carry stuff to read or tools so I can 'craft'. More pots, more clothes and I might take my hammock too. :)

As far as the elitism of small packs goes, I once spent a very enjoyable Summer/Autumn in Eastern Europe, Greece and Italy and carried all that I needed to live in the woods or youth hostels in a 35 litre pack.

While the 'backpackers' would usually still be gasping there way along between the bus/train station and the youth hostel sweating under the weight of their 85 litre backpacks and 25 litre frontpacks, I'd already be unpacked, showered, changed and sitting in a bar watching them struggle by. I did feel a little bit better at that sort of thing yes. :)

Much the same, and if I'm not walking any great distance I'll take extra stuff too, like waders :D

Whilst I don't consider myself elitist I did encounter a bit of what I call "gear freakery" from the shop assistants when looking for and then buying my tent a few years back, "the akto is too heavy, Sir, you could shed a further 600g with this or that micro tent". Weight doesn't trump durability IME, I guess I've always had a minimalist approach, probably comes from climbing where the only "what if" stuff carried is perhaps extra fuel. As a boy scout never traveling far from transport I took masses of stuff, but hills on foot knock that out of me.

I did a 5 month trip, in 85 or 86 with a girlfriend, starting in Crete for a month, through mainland Greece, after a fortnight working for a friend of the girlfriends sister in Athens for our keep, and some much needed pocket money, into and through Yugoslavia (ultra low cost, actually stayed in hotels and traveled on the train over 8 days, partly because we did well with extra dosh from an illicit currency trade and there weren't many cars to thumb), Italy and through the mont blanc tunnel to the Chamonix valley, where we stopped for work and a little climbing, with our pals who were at that time an all year valley fixture, squatting in the woods.

From there to Cornwall, then the bus to Edinburgh from Plymouth, then hitched home. All done with a 35lt sack, tent split between two bags, stove and basically the gear I stood in plus spare shorts and a couple of tee shirts, tooth brush, my only concession a pair of rock boots and a chalk bag.

Got my comeuppance, going through the tunnel from Aosta in italy to chamonix, as it was still winter on the French side and would have had to buy more clothes if we hadn't friends there to lend us stuff until things warmed. I'd actually given my jacket away in athens and replaced it with a plastic mac, :rolleyes: :D

MertzMan

Settler
Apr 25, 2012
Cambs and Lincs
For anything over a night or two I drag out my 90L Arizzon pack. It's not the most lightweight but as has been said before in this thread, most of my kit is at the cheaper and bulkier end of the market and I value being able to root around in my pack without having to unpack and repack everything each time I need something. Plus I like to take a few knives, an axe and a few wood working tools. My 16cm Zebra billy also takes alot of space too!

It's pretty comfortable to lug it around with alot of weight in it compared to anything else I've tried, although I did much regret taking this size and weight of a bag to Morocco! I must have smelled worse than the open sewers!:lmao:

Edit: Johnboy1971, that is a very nice load out indeed. I may have to look at changing out some of my kit when I finally graduate and have more than a can of beans to my name!:cool:

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Here's a kit list I posted back in 2007, it filled a Web-Tex Ultimax (135l :eek:) and must have weighed 30kg+. I managed a day and half hiking before I gave it up as a bad job :rolleyes:

DD Hammock
Cold weather sleeping bag
Closed Cell sleeping mat (to line hammock)
Web-tex Basha + Ropes
Medium Billy Pot
Carbon Steel Knife
Folding Saw
Hexi Stove
4x 1ltr Canteen
Lock Knife
First Aid kit
Tikka headtorch
Small sharpening stone
Fire pouch, with tinder etc
Firesteel
Waterproof socks
Ventile Jacket, rain pants, and gaiters
Cutlery
Crusader Mug
Wooly Hat
Gloves
2x Changes of clothes
extra socks
extra midlayer
Food (was thinking of going with ingredients and actually cooking rather than rat packs)
Brew kit (most important of all :D)
Maps (+case)
Compass
'survival tin' with chem tabs, spare compass, couple of LEDS you know little odds and ends
Small bag of toilteries
Travel Towel

And here's a list from this summer, came in at about 10kg base with another 4kg in food and water. I happily hiked and camped for 5 days :)

Shelter
Modded army bivvi (center zip)
DD 3x3 tarp
Thermarest prolite S
Karrimor global 700 sleeping bag

Cook
Fire maple remote feed gas stove
230g gas cart
Spork
Pot cozy
Lighter
Primus Alutech 1l billy
Alpkit MyTi cup

Food
Various home made dehydrated meals enough for 3 full days and 2 half days. Some snacks and lots of 3 in 1's.

Water
2l Bladder
1l Nalgene
Premac MWP filter
Chlorine tabs in my FAK as a back up.

Possibles
Petzyl Tikka +spare batteries
Puukko Knife
Ferro rod
Spare lighter wrapped in duct tape
10m Dyneema
Sony HX20 camera in case
Tinder card
Needles and thread
Heliograph / tick mirror
Compass
Ankle Supports (I have dodgy ankles)
Mossie head net
Maps in a ziploc

Hygiene
Loo roll
Tooth brush and paste
Soap + bit of old trek towel
Washing up liquid and 1 cloth

Clothing
Ventile smock
Ventile gaiters
Shemargh (also my pillowcase and towel)
Spare socks
Spare undies
Possum hat and gloves
Mid layer fleece

FAK
Midge repel
Assorted plasters
Blister plasters
Lipsyl
2x Blisters Ibuprofen
1x Blister paracetemol
Immodium
Alcohol wipes
tweezers
Chlorine tabs

Other stuff
Lowe Alpine Outback 65l pack
Kohla walking pole
Rucksack liner
Phone
Wallet
Keys
MP3 player

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
Interesting that, must have been a shock. :)

Fantastic sounding journey.

After the spring/early summer heat of southern europe it was a shock :D Through the tunnel and into avalanche debris, grubby looking snowdrifts and rain. It was a good trip if a little light weight on the material resources, at times.

The best bit was traveling through yugoslavia. I've been back, a few times with work and really like it, particularly the people, really good to have seen and been in yugoslavia pre breakup too.

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Not got any pics to hand but my kit loadout is -

Karrimor 40-50 lt pack (cant recall which model)
Bottom compartment - vango venom 400 down bag, snukpack stratosphere hooped bivi, RAB survival bivi (to stop condnesation gettig onto my sleeping bag), spare socks and hat.
Side pockets - torch, spare batteries, knife, toilet paper, spare paracord
Front pocket - Snack food and any last minute odds and sods
top pocket - FAK, firelighting kit and sometimes a small battery radio
Main compartment - Thermarest exterm sleep mat, tarp (either army issue or BPL solo), crusader cup containing brew kit, water, food, folding grill in canvas cover, GB mini hatchet, cold steel trail hawk (head only), silkyGomtaro saw (best saw ever) and if i am on my todd a cheap and chearful chinese made gas stove and gas.

Got no pictures to hand but my basic bushcraft load for overnight includes;
35 litre karrimore pack cant remember the model but its got an air space.
58 pattern poncho and bungi cords.
Home made bed roll which includes two heavy wool blankets one backed with waxed cotton. Blizzard bag if it gets really cold.
Hobo stove and small zebra billy.
Small first aid kit.
Two mora clippers and tool bag including crook knife, spoke shave blade, awl, sharpening stone, fiskars folding saw, dental floss (for sewing and repairs) and needles.
Wetterlings Scandinavian forest axe.
Life systems head torch.
Notebook.
Friction fire kit without bow.
Tinder pouch
Paracord and a roll of builders marking line.
Waterproofs and at this time of year a down/synthetic jacket.
Other than that just pocket stuff pen knife matches compass etc..

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

tallywhacker

Forager
Aug 3, 2013
United Kingdom
Some good reading, nice to see what other take :)

I might have gone a bit overboard but meh, every detail counts i guess. This is what i currently use.

Essentials, all trips:
  • 80-100L Berghaus Cyclops Roc with sewn side pouches (needs upgrading)
  • 3x3 silnylon tarp (decent non branded item)
  • TW custom triple layer hammock (has integrated weather shield)
  • Snugpak UQ + TQ (just got these recently, great bits of kit)
  • [x4] 3m x 25 mm webbing with [x4] fibreglass toggle (tree huggers with marlin spike hitch's for tarp and hammock)
  • [x2] 3m x 3mm marlow d12 DIY whoopies with a 3mm marlow d12 DIY UCR ridge line (hammock suspension)
  • 9m x 2.5 mm marlow d12 tarp ridge line with a mini figure 9
  • Breathable hygene liner
  • Military issue breathable Bivvi (Multitude of uses)
  • Cook set: 1L aluminium pot, spoon, tin cup, Alloc alcohol stove and stand, methylated spirits in its supplied plastic bottle, 4" global knife (super thin and sharp), 750ml flask (always filled).
  • 2 L fresh water (soon to be in [x2] 'nalgene' style bottles with neoprene socks (backup heating))
  • Portable charger and smart phone with gps/mp3 player
  • Food rations: depends really. dried food for long trips, pre cooked for short trips. Always cocoa.
  • Clothes rations (max of 2 days basics, no matter what, can wash on the move)
  • 'Hygene kit': baby wipes, toothbrush + powdered toothpaste
  • Base layers (sleep only)
  • Emergency kit: Cash AND bank card with a list of phone numbers, mini gaffa tape. (not kidding, you'd be surprised)
  • Microfibre jacket
  • Book
    [*]Thermometer
    [*]Mini LED torch

Situational/seasonal/extended trip essentials:
  • Light waterproof jacket
  • Puncture repair kit, pump, basic bike tools (i cycle most places)
  • Kukri or my dad's old DIY machette
  • wood burning stove or a mini BBQ griddle for a fire (not so aften actually)
  • [x12] plastic pegs and [x2] rvops basha poles with [x2] spare guy lines
  • Extra 2-4 L of water or DIY gravity style water filter (RO and carbon)
  • Dog stuff: Emergency dried food rations and 2L emergency water rations, they carry the rest themselves.

I smoke so i always have multiple sources of fire.

Sounds like a lot, but it's mostly small stuff and ain't that much for the trips i do, or the company i keep (Solo with 2 dogs usually. I go out all year in all weather). This kit allows me to sleep pretty much anywhere i want in comfort and without busting a boll**k or the bank.
In reality this list packs with spare room unless i'm out for over 2 nights and i ride around on my bike like a head case without mishaps. I'm not a big guy either i'm built like a twig. My old kit though (tent and older synthetics), now that was too much to carry and i'm glad to be rid of it..

EDIT:

I also kinda don't get much of the hype over small bags. Light bags i get but not small for the sake of it. IMO bag size doesn't really matter unless you run out of space, kit weight does matter, this is where the actual difference is imho. Most people you see with small bags have their stuff strapped to the outside anyway. A bergan will carry all that kit correctly on your hips, no dangling bits to snag or help you fall over if you lose your balance :) A bergan/large pack doesn't have to be filled and can help prolong the life of your gear (you don't have to compress your insulation as much).

I wont ever forget watching a video of this guy, he was like 'yea i don't even have a backpack, i use a waist pack it is far smaller'. Moments later it cuts to him wearing said waist pack with more gear strapped onto it than i take inside my bergan... He claimed it was super comfy but didn't address the issue of the gear dangling behind and probably into his legs. :yelrotflm

Last monthe I changed all my kit from a predator 45 with rocket pockets in to my old Vulcan with rocket pockets, didn't change any kit or take anything else, but that filled the Vulcan almost fully. Still cant figure that one out

Maybe your insulation etc is not as compressed from not having to cram it in? Else it surely has to be voodoo, the only other logical explanation xD

Last edited:

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
I may never make it out for another overnight trip but the basic operating assumption is that I will, so I still have it on my mind (There are other things I'm sure I'll never do that I still think about, too). My largest pack is a regular PLCE bergen in the older plain olive green, with side pockets. I have no trouble filling it but it isn't stuffed at all. In the summer here, a regular sleeping bag isn't really necessary but the sleeping bag still makes for a much more comfortable bed on the ground. Moreover, everything fits inside the pack except for a rolled sleeping mat, if that's what I'm using (as opposed to a folding mat). Anyway, the sleeping bag seems to take up half the space inside the pack but I suppose it could be squeezed into a smaller space.

The next smaller pack I have that will take the whole load is a Swedish, I think, rucksack in olive green (one of my favorite colors) with side pockets, probably about 35L but I have no idea of the model or name. But the PLCE rucksack, even though it is heavier, is more comfortable to use and after all, it isn't the load, it's the way you carry it.

rg598

Native
Whilst I don't consider myself elitist I did encounter a bit of what I call "gear freakery" from the shop assistants when looking for and then buying my tent a few years back, "the akto is too heavy, Sir, you could shed a further 600g with this or that micro tent". Weight doesn't trump durability IME, I guess I've always had a minimalist approach, probably comes from climbing where the only "what if" stuff carried is perhaps extra fuel. As a boy scout never traveling far from transport I took masses of stuff, but hills on foot knock that out of me.

For what it counts, I don't consider weight reduction, or using a small pack to be elitist in any way. In fact, the whole movement in reducing weight in part started as a way to reduce costs. Of course you can spend tons of money of products designed to cut weight, but that is true with everything. How many of us are sporting $500 canvas pack, $200 canvas tarps, and $150 merino wool t-shirts in the name of bushcraft? Bushcraft can be done on the cheap, or it can be done with lost of money. Same goes for saving weight.

I originally didn't post in this thread because I didn't think you would take the comment seriously, until I saw your post in the other thread. I'm with you on this one. I have no idea how people manage to fill such huge packs. Well, I do, I just try not to do it myself. I also don't believe that being able to carry your gear on your back is in any way elitist. Here is a list of gear one can put together for about $400 that will weigh about 13 lb and fit without a problem in a 45L pack: http://woodtrekker.blogspot.com/2013/10/beginners-guide-to-affordable-bushcraft.html

Hypnagog

Nov 12, 2012
Essex
hotchpotchblog.wordpress.com
This is what I took for my last trip - a weekender.

DSCF8338.jpg

It all goes in my Snugpak Bergen with room to spare. The reason I use the Bergen is because my sleeping bag is a Snupak Softie Elite 5 and it takes up a fair amount of room (although less than the Antarctica RE that I also use sometimes).

I know that if I want to put more things in then it'll all squish down on the sleeping bag, and I'm not really fussed about a large bag if it's not heavy, although I have just got hold of a EuroHike 500 down sleeping bag which packs away to a tiny size, so maybe I'll downsize my Bergen if I take that.

My kit:

DSCF8333.jpg

Carton of wine (some for the beef stew and some for me)

Snugpak 4 litre part-mesh bag containing: coffee, tea, sugar, milk sticks, OXO cubes, flour, chocolate, olives (great in damper bread), powdered mash, homemade biltong, packet of diced veg, frozen beef in a sealed tub (used the first night), a LWIF meal and salt/pepper)

Factory shop metal flask containing whiskey

High intensity glow-stick

Insect repellent

Head net

Millbank type bag (going on its first outing and was to experiment with)

Folding rucksack (handy as a day bag for foraging)

Tarred Twine / Bank Line

DSCF8339.jpg

Kleen Kanteen Stainless Steel bottle with...

Tatonka mug on the top and bottom (one for any unexpected guests)

The top from a large can of potatoes (a perfect fit for the Tatonka mug as a lid for when boiling in it)

14cm Billy Can

3x3 DD Tarp (Brown)

Plastic tent pegs (in addition to the DD ones)

Vargo folding Ti Stove

DSCF8336.jpg

Packaway Poncho large enough to go over my coat.

Folding saw

Gerber Gator combo axe

Mora robust knife

Small neck knife

IPK sheet

Folding trowel

Head torch

Spare batteries

Small pillow

Nightshirt

Fire kit in waterproof bag

Washkit / first-aid kit / puritabs / medication

(Just out of shot, but in the first photo - self inflating mat)

I know I carry too much stuff and manage to whittle it down each time I go out.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE