What do you think of this camera?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
Hi guys. I'm thinking of getting a new camera. I like the look of this one
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B007WR32HW?qid=1365025696&sr=8-1
Because:
You get a free tablet with it
It has interchangeable lenses
It is compact
It has very good reviews.
I think it's a for price

I will be needing a decent camera for my up oming canoe trip in the summer and I wan to take some decent pics along the way.

So what do you think. The tablet is a bit of a deal breaker because I was going to get a tablet as well.

Thanks
Jacob

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
If your looking for a quality compact I highly reccomend the Sony HX 20. No experience with the one linked I'm afraid.

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
Free tablet? I don't see that on your link - I see a "frequently bought together" where the tablet costs another £219

ETA - OK found another entry for it with a tablet but at a higher price
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-NX1000-Digital-7-0-Galaxy/dp/B00BFMS20C/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1365113636&sr=1-3&keywords=Samsung+NX1000+with+free+galaxy+tab
No you do get it. You have to send off to Samsung for it. People seem to of been able to take advantage of the offer in the reviews. I'm not sure what's going on with the package via amazon.

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
If you are going to want an interchangeable lens system its an excellent camera I have read. My niece loves hers and she got hers with a free tablet.

General advise when buying CSC is avoid Nikon, canon and Pentax.
Do buy from Sony Olympus Panasonic Fuji and Samsung.

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
For the same money I would buy a good used DSLR. You struggle to find filters and filter adapters to fit some of the smaller lens cameras. I also find these type of camera relays more on electronics and processors than the lenses.
PO bought one of the older Canon EOS 1d then a really good lens and get some beautiful pictures from it.
Sad to say it died on me and I replaced it with a Nikon 3100 with a good lens and more than happy with that.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Thanks copperhead. That does look like a good camera have you got it you self?

My incredibly generous girlfriend gave me it for Christmas, its got a stack of features you can read about on the net but my two current favourites...

Nice Macro:
034_zps318340c6.jpg

Background defocus, makes everything look cool:
crusader_zps5e1bbbad.jpg

DSLR's are great, but remember all those lenses weigh a fair bit!

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
For the same money I would buy a good used DSLR. You struggle to find filters and filter adapters to fit some of the smaller lens cameras. I also find these type of camera relays more on electronics and processors than the lenses.
PO bought one of the older Canon EOS 1d then a really good lens and get some beautiful pictures from it.
Sad to say it died on me and I replaced it with a Nikon 3100 with a good lens and more than happy with that.
i want something a bit more compact than a DSLR. My brother has one and it takes good photos.

Thanks for your input though. :)

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
My incredibly generous girlfriend gave me it for Christmas, its got a stack of features you can read about on the net but my two current favourites...

Nice Macro:
034_zps318340c6.jpg

Background defocus, makes everything look cool:
crusader_zps5e1bbbad.jpg

DSLR's are great, but remember all those lenses weigh a fair bit!
Those pics do look great mate! I only have a limited budget and i think that would be a bit too much because i want the tablet aswell because i need it to replace my ipod! :(

Ben98

Forager
Jun 30, 2010
West Yorkshire
Get a Pentax k20d off eBay for ~£250
Great semi professional camera with a weather sealed body, lots of lenses aswell
My dad has the k10d and its great :)
Tablet wise get a nexus 7 from Google, 16gb ~£160
Great camera, great tablet, all for ~£400 :-D

Sent from my ARCHOS 80G9 using Tapatalk 2

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
Its an amazing camera! i have one with three lenses :) but get spare batteries.. it chews thru them quickly.

Thanks for that. What lenses have you got for it? Also dont you think the lenses are rather expensive? Ill definatley get a spare battery, although they are also pricey at £35! :0

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
i got the 20mm - 50mm and 16mm it came with and then larger 50mm - 200mm OIS one.

and they are about on par with other lenses..

Nice, yeh i guess photography isnt cheap. The 50-200mm is probably the follow up lens id get. Thanks for you reassurance, just got to get some decent funds together now!

Apr 25, 2012
Wolverhampton
I was looking at getting this camera before I bought my DSLR, if its compact and good quality your looking for that the NX1000 is perfect for you. It's top of its market as of now and the deal with the tablet is a serious bargain.

The difference is if your looking to get into photography then a mirrorless camera (which is what the NX1000 is) will hold you back atm as there arn't that many accessories for it (it being a new camera/design), compared to DSLR's which have been around for years and lenses etc can be bought cheap second hand.

Quality wise your going to get the same quality pictures and I've no doubt mirrorless camera's will take over DSLR's at some point but at the moment DSLR's still win in allot of peoples eyes, just depends if you can put up with size and weight increase. Me personally, I thought it was a small price to pay for the diversity your getting with accessories etc.

Hope this helps!
Brian.

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
Thanks Brian. In the end i went for a compact largely down to price and pocketness ability.
I like the nikon s8200 i got and think it takes some good photos and is perfect for travelling. I see you have been taking some good pics with your DSL. What one did you get?

The Survivor

Nomad
Feb 1, 2013
On Earth

I agree. Go for a DSLR. Firstly, they have a greater variety of lenses for them, which is useful. Secondly, those small things have a habit of flying around when on the neck strap, which can be nasty.

Go for a nikon. You will never regret it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE