What did you buy today?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
A decent fruit scone from Morrisons? I can taste the salt & baking powder already!
Absolutely horrid. Only scones worth eating are fresh from the oven with butter and real strawberry ( or potentially blackcurrant ) jam. If it’s a fruit scone you don’t really need jam; just butter.
I enjoyed it cheers, a lovely scone, salty, baking powdery, oversweet deliciousness.

Not as much as posting this meme I’ve been dying to post for ages :lmao:
IMG_2729.jpeg

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
@TeeDee It may be one I decide to move on, I’m not sure yet. It’s a lot of fun, total overkill for my needs but brings a grin.

Another option in this sort of lumen range is the more sensibly powered 3x21700 Wurkkos TS32. It’s fatter due to the batteries, uses the same head as the Sofirn, and has a few choices of LED emitters. Personally I’d bin the handle, it doesn’t need it, it’s awkward.

Reactions: TeeDee

Disabled Preppers

Apr 3, 2023
west midlands
Well today i got myself a set of what they call Jack Pyke Hunter knife set so far happy with them got ot clean the edge off as i do with all the knives i buy but the smaller knife is for the wife and the large for me they come with sheaths to so more than happy , over the winter i might have a go at making some nice leather sheathes we shall see , but i have so much on the go i might not .
They feel well made and the rosewood handle feels nice and clean i will again oil the wood to give extra protection .

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
What do you plan on doing with them?

I've literally just stopped and come inside to see your message - I was just in the process of playing with a Jerry can ( not the old ones... )

The current jerry can I'm turning into a BBQ with automated rotisserie function and a psuedo oven function - I want it to be a multi function BBQ that can go on the back of my camper.

The Antique ones.... So WWII was obvs 1939 to 1945.- The British knock off of what is an incredibly well thought out piece of engineering seems to have occurred in Spring 1943 ( Making my 1943 Model an original edition I guess??.. )

Anyway - I think anything from that era that served such a great purpose and is still existing today deserves a bit of TLC and maybe some " upcycling " to be better used than remaining in a dusty shed full of lawnmower juice. I will paint strip , polish and ensure the year date and the War Department stamping is emblazoned and 'popping' :)

So , plan is ( happy to entertain better suggestions ) to paint strip both of them , and then turn them into something more cherishable - currently I'm thinking of a nice Picnic basket type thing with internal layout of plates condiments and various little tapas type sealed tubs to make a picnic a little more , stylish???

And as you can't have a picnic without some liquid refreshment - the second jerry can will be turned into a mini-bar of sorts with changeable internals - so if its for a picnic - pimms or wine , but be able to change the internals out ( just a nice plush wood insert with custom fitting of different bottles ) to suit the mood of the day - Picnic = Pimms or White Wine , Beach BBQ - Rum and Coke , Churchill birthday celebrations = whisky and champagne with obligatory cigars )

So as an Example ( Mine are going to be better than this.. I promise )

JERRY CAN BBQ

JERRY CAN MINI BAR

There are a few other projects that interest me with Jerry cans - I may get around to them all this year.

I have a series of projects I'm getting around to doing. This has always been in my mind.

There is also this sort of jerry can project to do if I can source another NATO Water can

Last edited:
Reactions: Disabled Preppers

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I picked up this beauty yesterday, a Rippingille's No. 630 combined oven and stove from the late 50's, early 60's.

It needs a bit of fettling as both filler caps are seized solid and one has been butchered so they'll need replacing. Corks will have to suffice until I can track down replacements.

392772793_10159932204318152_1286036457181183398_n.jpg

384281922_10159932206388152_3435740474233513614_n.jpg

392742695_10159932207438152_1811325475951925219_n.jpg

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
I picked up this beauty yesterday, a Rippingille's No. 630 combined oven and stove from the late 50's, early 60's.
That’s impressive!

Kerosene?
Are the heaters pressure or wick burners?

Is it portable and what chance some of us might see it next year? :)

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
That’s impressive!

Kerosene?
Are the heaters pressure or wick burners?

Is it portable and what chance some of us might see it next year? :)
It's portable in the sense you can carry to or from where you were using it. They're meant to go in things like canal boats, small sail boats etc. This one apparently came from a shepherds hut.

The type of stove is mentioned in Erskine Childers' 'Riddle of the Sands' (1903) where Davies asks Carruthers (in London, by telegram) to obtain a No 3 Rippingille stove and bring it to Flensburg.
It runs on paraffin and I'm definitely planning to bring it to Newark next June as well as the various other Steamtent meets I'll be attending :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE