What did you buy today?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Set of 2 cotton Tilley masks. Work are dictating that everyone wears a mask or face shield on the shop floor. All my masks and the pathetic work made cotton one they've given me steam up the glasses pretty quickly. I'm hoping these masks won't steam my glasses up. If they do I'm going to have to wear a face shield.

It's a place with high roofed industrial buildings of quite some size. There's great big and pedestrian doors too left open all around for access, which means very good ventilation. It's crafty even without a wind. Everyone works at least 2m away from each other. Nobody has had COVID yet and I doubt they'll catch it at work anyway. Still company policy so I'm hoping the Tilley mask is comfortable. If not I'll be looking for something better, so any suggestions???
Intact lens

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I've got intact lenses in my eyes but they just don't work that well so I need glasses. :D

Seriously, I can't wear contact lenses because of dry eyes. They're worse than when I last wore them and back then three hours use had me trying to claw my eyes out to end the pain and irritation they caused. Not even thought of trying them again since.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Set of 2 cotton Tilley masks. Work are dictating that everyone wears a mask or face shield on the shop floor. All my masks and the pathetic work made cotton one they've given me steam up the glasses pretty quickly. I'm hoping these masks won't steam my glasses up. If they do I'm going to have to wear a face shield.

It's a place with high roofed industrial buildings of quite some size. There's great big and pedestrian doors too left open all around for access, which means very good ventilation. It's crafty even without a wind. Everyone works at least 2m away from each other. Nobody has had COVID yet and I doubt they'll catch it at work anyway. Still company policy so I'm hoping the Tilley mask is comfortable. If not I'll be looking for something better, so any suggestions???

Don't know if this will help but the disposable one (reused obvs) seem best with my glasses, and if you put a twist in the elastic loop before putting it over your ear it creates a kind of side vent. Not perfect but works better

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I'm trying to reduce waste plastics by avoiding disposable masks. Even if they do get used several times. I know my mask is made from plastics but it's had a lot more use than the disposable ones stand up to. It gets washed and reused. However it steams up.

Now I'm finally doing what I should have done from the beginning and buy a good, cotton mask. Even if no good with glasses it'll not be persisting in the environment for decades.

Not trying to preach, sorry, but this covid has a lot to answer for, among the issues is plastic masks. Of course we've got to take responsibility for that. Retailers especially because a lot of them only sell disposable, plastic masks. After the initial rush for masks they should have removed plastic masks from sale and only sell cotton or other natural fibre masks.

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Tilley Endurables 2 mask pack. Came yesterday, washed and dried ready for work today. Very comfortable.

They're 2 layer with pocket for a filter. Are they good enough without a filter? Going to have you cut a kitchen paper pad to fit I guess. Too cheap for carbon cooker hood filter.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Just purchased a Boker Mini Tracker to give the Knife Fundamentalists something to get excited against.

:)

• Haha
Reactions: punkrockcaveman

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
A headlamp with white and red light:

Waterproof gloves from Sealskinz:

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Bought new winter gloves and going to use them with british shell mittens. Gloves USAF and mittens British surplus.

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
Just purchased a Boker Mini Tracker to give the Knife Fundamentalists something to get excited against.

:)

I think they're on offer and a bit cheaper at hennie's at the mo'!

Sent from Somerset using magic

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Buy a stick of anti-fogging agent from a sporting goods store. Use for binoculars and rifle scopes.
Failing that, wipe your lenses with cheap baby shampoo and polish with cloth, not tissues.
Best for back truck windows as well.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Snugpak Jungle Blanket. First impressions are that it’s a good bit of kit. Looking forward to taking it out.

Good them, don’t expect too much in colder weather, but during the summer myself and Madam used them every night in the house. If it’s warm and you’re moving about in the heat it’s good to have your own covers. Tucked in round the edges they’re surprisingly warm, but very slippy offy if used on top of anything else.

Reactions: RG30something

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Buffalo hood in olive green with green pile and velcro. I wear my buffalo s6 shirt but if it rains water simply pours down my neck so good should stop that.

Last autumn I wore a waterproof cap which stopped my head getting wet. Water simply rolled down my neck. It was actually heavy rain but the s6 shirt coped except for the neck issue? I knew I needed a hood but put it off. Most shops are running out of green hoods too. Must be time for them to make another batch.

I'm wondering what buffalo trousers are like. What conditions are they good for and what are they like? Are they a bit shiny like the shirts?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE