what did everyone think then?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

familne

Dec 20, 2003
Fife
The general theme of this thread also applies to the birding world in some cases. Often (not always the case of course) those laden with the most expensive bins and scopes know the least about the birds they are watching. I remember one bloke with top of the range swarovski gear in a hide and all he wanted to talk about was his gear! When asked if there were any interesting birds around, he didn't have a clue! The quiet chap in the corner of the hide with the battered old bins had a wealth of information to divulge!

Not Bob

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2004
Thomas Elpel. That's where the idea for my avatar came from.
Jakunen - yes I'll keep my kit too but sometimes it's enjoyable to see how little you can do with. Lighter on the pocket and the back too!

jakunen

Native
Not Bob said:
Jakunen - yes I'll keep my kit too but sometimes it's enjoyable to see how little you can do with. Lighter on the pocket and the back too!
Yeah, that's why i'm always trying to reduce my kit. I want to get back to the point were even my 26L Vango pack has space in it and I have enough kit to cope with what I'm doing.
Thanx to an accident on exercise I do occasionally get back problems, so the lighter I can go kitwise, the better for my battered, unfit old body. (Hmm, another new smiliey required - old g1t with a walking stick:wink: ).

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
Gary said:
Paganwolf think back (all those years - know its hard) to when you were a sprog - did you take saws and axes and knives out with you to build a camp in the woods? Did you need the latest great fire making machine to light a fire?
Was it fun in those days?

Yes it was fun, Half a dozen matches and a Candle, Axe sneaked out of the Coal Shed, we didn't have Shelters we had Dens.
Bushcraft?? that was something you joined the Cubs or Scouts to learn never did join went a couple of times and didn't like it.
As you got older you called it roughing it, down the Army and Navy stores for the latest gear, for the simple reason there wasn't much else and if there was you couldn't afford it. :naughty:
Bushcraft never went away someone decided they could make a few bob by putting it on TV and it was reinvented as another way to get money out of people.
Next time you go out look at your gear and see how much of it you use and how much you really need.
Its nice to see someone is interested in getting out and about and not just collecting the latest stuff. :wave:

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
YES!! 20 MINS TO GO!! Im sure not to miss it! (Watch this space) :biggthump

Kim

Nomad
Sep 6, 2004
Birmingham
Wow that was great.

It was amazing to see a group of people discovering how to make fire all over again!!!

Makes you want to grab a stick and run outside in an effort to set things alight.

All in a very legal sense mind you.

gillmacca

Forager
Sep 14, 2004
Swindon
It was a shame to see the modern world had change the tribe a bit. That is probably why they couldnt start a fire...wonder how many other things they have lost due to the modern world

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
So erm what jacket was he Wearing ? :eek:):
:yikes: Wasn't that a Frost clipper ! not the woodlore shock horror, my god not the very Knife Mors Kochansky recommends - Your right on the money Gary :eek:):
Anyway back to reality - I enjoyed it. good to Ray getting exited about seeing tha canopy. Enjoyed watching the canoeing, they look so natural paddling around, and knocking out a paddle with a machete! Took me a planer, drawknife, circular saw, jigsaw and 2 sanders ! :super:
Well showing the natives fire by friction :notworthy Very tactfully done and a credit to Mr Mears - Well done Sir

Hope you all enjoyed it too

Cheers
Rich

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
:sulk::aargh4::cry::mad::angry::cry2:

then I found out my little borhter was recording it for me. missed the very start but no info lost. however, there was something els that had ben recorded on the video between the two episodes so now it will have to go 1,3,2 (monty python fans will feel at home). there is space betwen the two episodes for the next but it can't overun. I've seen the second half though. I liked the way he was trying to explain about not upsetting the locals by showing them how to light the fire, most companies would edit that

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
I'd imagine that the environment may have something to do with the knife choice. The Frost will be for more rust-resistant than the woodlore.

Huon

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Young Bushman said:
If your recording it jake make sure you don't lose the video

:nana: I've got it all in my head Scott, and i shouldn't lose that :shock:

Wow, great programme. not he best IMO. My favourite has to be the Arctic Circle on in the 2nd series, that and a few others :wink: .

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE