what did everyone think then?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Roving Rich said:
So erm what jacket was he Wearing ? :eek:):
:yikes: Wasn't that a Frost clipper ! not the woodlore shock horror, my god not the very Knife Mors Kochansky recommends - Your right on the money Gary :eek:):

Rich
Certainly not a woodlore, was just about to ask if anyone recognised it so thanks for anticipating my question!
Still think I'd rather have my trusty staffy billhook than any other large bladed tool though. Didn't see anything it couldn't do and being that bit smaller its that bit less accident prone to my mind.
Cheers
David

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
I thought the whole thing was a bit of alright, though I winced at him shaving a stick, on his thigh, whilst squatted on his honkers.

What struck me the most; why the fellah was positively radiant throughout, clearly enjoying himself.
Indeed, I half expected him to let off a bit of steam with a few impromtu cartwheels, or such.

Lets have a lot more of the same.

Ten out of ten.

Seagull

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Toothpic ! Well it has been compared to a Zulu spear :rolmao:

And I think iwas wrong on the Knife - Frost Mora not a clipper :?:

Cheers

Rich

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
:icon_idea maybe his woodlore was nicked(it was south america) :aargh4:
maybe he left it at home as he knew how long the waiting list was for a new one if he lost his :doh: (like Jake)
or maybe He's sick of giving away woodlores to tribal leaders :present:

chris chris

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 25, 2004
keswick
This was great stuff

Knife looked more like a Mora to me.

I wouldn't like to try a billhook in the jungle, prefered a matchete myself in Belize over 20 years ago, only thing I was surprised to see was the way Ray carried the matchete when walking through the forest - we were allways taught, when not in use and especially when walking - sheath it.

Good tv though, well done Ray Mears

Are the people with him on these his own Uk staff, ie, the guys in the boat etc or just tv team people. What a job eh?

Chris :wave:

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Anyone knows if there are any CD's on the market with songs by Mr. Mears?
I think it will do great in the car, whilst driving long distances :rolmao:

Very good show last night, especially (as mentioned by others) the part teaching how to make fire to those local chaps ... :super:

IMO the climbing tree part was a bit over the top - rather had seen some MORE (cultural) antropology :naughty: (which I've studied for 6 months at uni).

Can't wait for the next episode :eek:): Anyone knows where that'll be? (Arctic, desert?)

:wave:

G

Ginja

Aye, it made great TV! Though he does make me nervous sometimes - the way he handles his blades!! Practice what you preach, Mr Mears, or one day it will surely end in tears (and fountains of the red stuff ...).

G

jakunen

Native
Yeah, it was a pretty good one. And my mother ACTUALLY DIDN'T TALK ALL THE WAY THROUGH IT!!!!

He did handle the fire teaching very diplomatically.:biggthump

Thought the handle of his parang was a bit dodgey though. Looked more like a brolly handle and I wouldn't want it near me kidneys in a fall!!!

Not Bob

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2004
I may get burned at the stake for this but am I the only person who thought that last night's RM in the jungle wasn't all that good?
Nice travelogue - nice images but not really a lot of information on the practicalities of it all. Mainly the average viewer would learn that Ray likes the jungle but not much else. Even the bit where he taught the locals about making fire by the hand drill, though interesting, really wouldn't have taught anyone much about how to do the deed.
Awaiting hordes of angry bushcrafters brandishing burning torches and Woodlore knives

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Overall, I have to agree with you. Little in the way of information that you could take away.

Yes, a nice, pretty program that showed the jungle and some animals and plants but little in the way of info - how many times did you see RM set up a hammock and I noticed him tie an evenk knot twice ... but did he show you how? Nope. What were the woods used for the fire drill? It's important to set your camp up right otherwise it's gonna chuck it down at 2 am ... but how?

Nonetheless, a pleasant change from the vast wasteland that TV is normally ...

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
'Not Bob'

My first post ever on this forum and I thought I would use it so say that I for one agree with you (maybe not so smart? :roll: )
Unlike last week's show, this week it looked like a regular nature program. More 'nice shots' than real bushcraft technique.

Ray was going to show how to use a machette by making a bench. I didn't see too much cutting technique and the end result seemed barely to hold his weight. I was waiting for a shot where more people would try and sit on it :)

Was it a bad show then? No, it was actually a well made show with beautifull shots, but less bushcrafty than I had hoped for. Not in the same league as last weeks 'stone age' show, but then I thought that was his best programme yet.

Did anyone catch what wood they were using for the hand drill? Seemed to produce heaps of dust relatively easy! Have to give the hand drill technique a go sometime soon...

Cheers,

DUCKy

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
Altough enjoyable television, I agree that he could have shown us so much more. But..next week is jungle trek, so we're not out of the bush yet. :wink:

Welcome, DUCky

-Emile

MarkG

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 4, 2004
Wednesbury, West Mids
He's shown these thing's in other programs so why do you need to hear it every time? (and I'm sure most of you have them on DVD :lol: )

If the 'normal' or rather average viewer watches this and see's it going on about bit's of wood and digging for rock's they'll get bored and turn over, after all the beeb need the viewer ratings so they don't want it to technical.

I think the program is about opening people eye's to the natural world and what can be done without exspensive equipment. Hopfully it'll make people think of a forest or wood as some where that has a place and also holds alot of history for us instead of just being a convinient spot of land to put a new housing estate.

What I'm trying to say is something about not preeching to the choir.

al

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
kent
i thought it was moving that he gave them back some thing that was once the theirs

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
hi all and welcome Ducky :wink: i tend to agree with you all but do we as bushcrafters expect that little bit more from the show as we know what we are looking for? really its a commercial show for BBC 2 viewers thats there for entertainment value and a look through the key hole of whats really out there in the big wide world,and a tasty titbit for bushcrafters. I liked last nights show as i love the jungle and big creepy crawlys :spider: i wouldn't recomend patronizing the natives with out a film crew and an entourage though :eek:T: ,he's giving you snippetts of mouth watering info to keep the juices flowing, hey i wonder if anyone does courses on this stuff :shock: :?: , :lol: im gonna watch it again 2nite as me and Gary was laughing an talking through most of it :rolmao: :You_Rock_

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE