What combination of edged tools do you use?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

What combination of edged tools do use in the field?

• Total voters

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
One or two nights,Dave Budd green man pro + Laplander folding saw, any longer and I will add in my GB wilderness hatchet and maybe my small Guy Stainthorp "Neckmuck" necker.
Regards.
C da C.

stewpot

On a new journey
Dec 26, 2008
cheshire

There doesn't seem to be much that the Leuku can't handle.

Wayland, lovely knives, all of them. Where did you get your leuku, I suspect on your travels north? Would love something like that. Not seen them before.What would be an optimum length for the blade, and what sort of money would I need.

stew

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Wayland, lovely knives, all of them. Where did you get your leuku, I suspect on your travels north? Would love something like that. Not seen them before.What would be an optimum length for the blade, and what sort of money would I need.

stew

Actually I picked it up from someone on British Blades.

Mine's about a 9" blade which suits me well enough, haven't tried any other length so can't compare.

I most often carry my trusty Fallkniven TK1, and a Bahco Laplander folding saw. I like to be lightweight on the trail! If something more robust is needed for clearing etc, I use a BK&T Patrol Machete, which is good for felling small saplings too. I often stash a Leatherman in my rucksack too.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Sorry - figers are faster than key boards!
www.attacc.com
.co.uk works as well as.com

Look at knives then click Brussleto and scroll to the bottom of the page.
I admit that Attacc gave me one for review a while back, but then so many companies give me so much stuff I still claim impartiallity!

markheolddu

Settler
Sep 10, 2006
Llanelli
Here,s another vote for the 9" Stromeng In carbon steel. Its a great great knife use mine a lot.
How are you getting on with yours John?

Mark

madcow

Feb 19, 2009
Netherlands
At the moment I'm using a small Brusletto knife. That will be replaced with a SWC when it arrives. (Can;t stand the wait)

As for shopping an sawing

I used to bring my SFA with me, but when I got the FA I just fell in love with it :)
I find that the little extra weight and length really makes it a joy to use, not that the SFA isn't.
As saw I use the trusty Laplander and a folding bucksaw.

Old Pa

Tenderfoot
Jul 4, 2009
Northwoods
If we are talking about small folding saws, this may be of interest. A couple of years ago, I came across this Shark PullSaw in a folding pruning/utility model:

3716213131_28109dbfcc_b.jpg

It has quite reasonable materials, fit, ergos and finish for a relatively inexpensive hand tool. Pull saws, as you know, are of Japanese origin and have teeth that cut on the pull stroke rather than cutting on the push stroke as is typical of American handsaws. They have rather interesting tooth geometry:

3717025750_367c61e1cc_b.jpg

I hope you can see the two rows of offset and very sharp small teeth. In my limited control tests of this model, it cuts very aggressively and, of course, the blade is not under deflection pressures on the cutting stroke. Pretty neat. I found mine at my local FleetFarm farm supply store for not too much cash.

IJ55

Forager
Mar 29, 2009
UK
Leukku from Sweden, Large bushcraft knife and a laplander saw with back up pocket chainsaw for those two foot logs :)

Unless I intend being out for extended time then I take a small forest axe instead of the leukku.

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
As someone who has only been doing this for around 6 months I have decided to stick with a good basic set until the spring: A Mora Clipper (Carbon) & a Laplander saw. I will be getting a decent axe but wont buy one until I got an axe course booked up, as I want to learn it right given the obvious dangers of doing it wrong. I have a cheapish splitting axe from a DIY store that I use a few times a year when I am doing the bushcar camping thing.

I will take my time with getting a decent knife until I am confident that I wont trash it the first time I try to sharpen it & know what I want; so have decided to wait until I have learnt more about them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE