What can I make with rabbits

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

j111

Nov 18, 2011
Cambridge
?

With Rabbits I normally eat teh meat including the liver, heart and kidneys. Now that I'm getting more into 'bushcraft', what else can I do with what's left over rather than chucking it?

Presumably the pelts can be prepared so they can be stitched together to make rugs, mittens etc. Can anyone direct me to information about how best to treat?

What about cordage? Specifically for stitching pelts together and I was also wondering if it's possible to use the hide to make a cord strong enough for bow drilling?

Is there anything else I could use them for?

Thanks!

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
lol

i was there and still have the pics to show for it!

saw something recently where they made glue from the skins tht could hold a mans weight, think it was on that man made house show. pretty impressive really

Dave

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
The blue underfur of cured Rabbit skins is good for tying flies. Not particularly bushcrafty, but Good mixed with a bit of mole, and a badger hen cape to make grey dusters. Flog em on Ebay to fly tiers.

Thenihilist

Nomad
Oct 3, 2011
Fife, Scotland
Every animal has enough brains to tan its own hide.

Rabbits have enough sinew to snare themselves.

Toes make fishooks, other bones can be used for awls etc

Unless you want a lot of glue just use the hide scrapings from the tanning process. I've never used rabbit rawhide for bowdrill cord but I've used squirrel and it sucks. Once the skins tanned cut it into strips and weave it into a blanket, my blankets is made from 120 rabbits, the strips are really weak though so I wrap mine round twine.

I've made mittens from rabbit skins but they wear out fast, the Russian ushanka is traditionally made from rabbit skins, ivuse a tanned hide as a water bottle.

There are probably lots of other things you can use em for

j111

Nov 18, 2011
Cambridge
Every animal has enough brains to tan its own hide.

Rabbits have enough sinew to snare themselves.

Toes make fishooks, other bones can be used for awls etc

Unless you want a lot of glue just use the hide scrapings from the tanning process. I've never used rabbit rawhide for bowdrill cord but I've used squirrel and it sucks. Once the skins tanned cut it into strips and weave it into a blanket, my blankets is made from 120 rabbits, the strips are really weak though so I wrap mine round twine.

I've made mittens from rabbit skins but they wear out fast, the Russian ushanka is traditionally made from rabbit skins, ivuse a tanned hide as a water bottle.

There are probably lots of other things you can use em for

Thanks, that's really helpful. Presumably I could use sinew and glue for putting fletchings onto arrows? HAve you got any links to info about how to extract sinew, I've never really understood it? Thanks again

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE