What calibre do you hunt with

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

What calibre do you hunt with?

• .177 feathers & fur

Votes: 16 41.0%
  • .2 feathers & fur

Votes: 20 51.3%
  • .177 feathers, .22 fur

Votes: 3 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
So I have been reading this thread.
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53949

I'm not going to ask which is best, because I'm sure that has been exhausted here, but instead I am interested in knowing, air rifle wise, "what calibre do you hunt with?"

After eating a nice starter consisting of pigeon earlier, and having a friend who has permission to shoot on some land and myself, an uncle who is a farmer who I am sure would be more than happy to take out some of the pigeons, rabbits and rats on the farm I am looking at air rifles again.

I was just going to plain and simply look at a .22 air rifle, since I was told they were best for hunting. However it seems more apparent to me now that the majority of people in that thread used a .177 and wear after a good clean hit which either calibre would manage. I also noticed a comment ".177 for feathers, .22 for fur" so I am just curious as to what you hunt with?

Feel free to elaborate (pellet shape, grain, etc) and show your set up below :)

Cheers,
Matt

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The majority of my hunting is with 12 gauge (deer, small mammals and upland game as well as waterfowl) 30-06 (deer, and larger game) or 22LR (small game) Occassionaly with 20 or 410 gauge, or .357/38 or .223. Sometimes a 45# recurve bow. Never hunted with a pellet gun though.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
DSC_0008.jpg

.177 does all i need it to do.

Aaron Rushton

Tenderfoot
Jul 27, 2011
S. Wales
the whole ".177 for feather and .22 for fur" is completely outdated and is no help today. it is from the day when most airguns were spring, had open sights, and around 8ftlbs. Chest shots were the norm for rabbits and pigeons, as with loopy trajectory at low power and open sights, heads were almost impossible targets. .177 tends to penetrate more, which is why it was recommeneded for use on birds which have layers of feather, then whatevers in its crop, and then bone to reach the heart/lung area. .22 hit harder, so was recommended for rabbits which needed to be knocked over with a pellet in there chest so the shooter could run up and grab it, as instant kills were not always likely. a .177 would overpeneterate on rabbits and would often let them run down there holes before expiring.

nowadays, almost all good quality airguns are over 11ftlbs and have more than enough accuracy to take a headshot, which is what is needed on all quarry to increase the likelyhood of a no suffering, quick death. the only time where anything but a head shot is acceptable is in the following scenarios:
1. a pigeon is facing away from you which makes for a very small head target. here, a shot between the shoulders blades will kill as there is much less 'stuff' between the outside of the bird and the vitals. i have done this many times with a .177, all very quick deaths.
2. a rat or a squirrel is facing straight towards you. here, a chest shot will kill, but i would only do this with a .22 as both are tough animals.

i shoot .177 as i like the flatter trajectory i can achieve with it. as a .22 is heavier, its trajectory is more of an arc than the .177. if you have a laser rangefinder, then you can pretty much use either trajectory as you can calcuate exactly how much you have to aim over or under the place you want to hit in order to compensate for the arced trajectory. today, calibre in airguns is just a matter or personal preference. the ideal settup is a short spring gun in .22 for hunting in barns or heavy woods where you won't be taking shots at sqizzers, rats and pigeons no further than 25 yards, and a .177 precharged pneumatic airgun for longer range shooting on pigeons and rabbits where you will be shooting at ranges more around 30-40 yards at max (depending on your skill level). the subject needs a lot of personal research and thinking before you decide.

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
I like the look of the HW99S and am at a bit of a crossroads as to whether I should go for .177 or .22. I'd sooner be able to make a clean dispatch and although .22 sounds to have the greater *umph* the idea of a .177 is some what more appealing knowing that with a good clean head shot you'd bag yourself a nice tasty dinner. Last thing I would want to do is maim the poor thing and have it running away to hide & expire. Although, I understand with a .177 and the right pellet choice you'd be able to dispatch rabbits, squirrels, pigeons, rats, etc no problem and .177 seems to be the preference of many when I look around the internet.

I guess .177 it will be then.... once I have saved up some cash!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I hear good things about 6.5 x 55 - its in that 6mm ballistic "sweet spot" for sure - how do you find it?

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Folk use .177 more these days as it takes much less skill to shoot accurately at distance.

I've always been a .22 guy, though i have a had a few.177's.

.22 will always take down quarry better than .177.

I can hit pretty much anything upto 80 yard with a .22 running at 11ft/lbs. Anythings possible, just depends how much you want to put into it, and how accurate you are at range estimation

Last edited:

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
I hear good things about 6.5 x 55 - its in that 6mm ballistic "sweet spot" for sure - how do you find it?

A friend of mine had a 6.5X55 Sweedish Mauser(Tikka 595) that he shot out and had re-barreled and semi customised into 6.5/284 Norma,he drools about this rifle and it is the 1st one he reaches for when we go hunting,he and many others seem to agree that there is something magical about the calibre,probably due to the very high BC'S of the available 6.5 bullets,accuracy at extreme range also seems to be included in the deal,the big boys who shoot 1,000 yd matches across the pond seem to agree.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Another one that uses .22 for everything here.

Sure .177 has a flatter trajectory, but once you've dialled in your BDC on your .22 it's all pretty much void any ways.
The reason i prefer .22 though is:

a/ It creates slightly more trauma (i have shot through rats, and pigeons with a .177 and they have carried on for a few seconds, not long, but long enough to mean finding them was a nightmare).
With .22 i've only had a few larger rats not go down straight away and stay down.

b/ As i shoot outside at many different quarry, in all weathers i feel that .22 is less affected by the wind, so what you loose in BDC you gain in stability in cross winds.

Horses for courses though and the difference really is small between the 2 calibres.
I prefer .22 but would and have hunted with .177

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com

It's fine.. It'll handle most things I'm likely to have a cabby at here in NZ. I have two rifles in the calibre an old Swedish issue Mauser M96/38 and a T3 the T3 is more than accurate enough for me over most NZ hunting ranges.. I keep meaning to get some hand loads for the T3 but it just runs fine on most of the factory ammo I have put though it.

It's accurate and the recoil is manageable.. Some of the guys who service rifle shoot use the old long barrelled Mausers to good effect...

Fairly limited to rifle & pellet though, I've found. I agree, it seems an ideal compromise

Can you not get heavier .177 to give a bit more impact?
i spent years chasing this and even have a custom webley Axsor biult by venom which is very nicebut you actually get little trajectory advantage over 22 ie a 11.4gr 20 cal v 14.3 gr 22cal . And tho it has a higher impact per mm/sqr than 177 or 22 177 is a lot flatter still when using 8.4 gr which has ample impact nergy retained at further than you can accuratly shoot.
If i did it again i would use 177cal no question . only placei may consider anotheris very close indor ratting where a 25 cal may be of some use at low power to minimise damage to the area
cant complane on the 20 cal axor tho one weekend i got 5 rabbits and a squirrel saturday and then came 2nd in a hunter FT comp and 3rd (b class) FT shoot plus won the speed side shoot on sunday
(however i usualy won the hunter FT with my 177 FT rig

custom 20cal Axsor
AWH_24RH.jpg

old FT rig 177 anshutz 2002 by dave wellam
Ansh_lt_FT.jpg

in sniping mode good for 60 yrds plus hunting and 100yrs plus target
Ansh_HU.jpg

ATB

Duncan

Last edited:

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Johnboy, I'm sorely tempted by 6.5 X 55, but the ammo isn't easy to get here. Is it that good? I use a T3 in .243 and soon a T3 lite in .308. I'm looking at starting to home load later this year.

To be honest with mixy having been so bad around here really and having a 12 bore for pigeons, the .22 lr and .22 air rifle never come out

Johnboy, I'm sorely tempted by 6.5 X 55, but the ammo isn't easy to get here. Is it that good? I use a T3 in .243 and soon a T3 lite in .308. I'm looking at starting to home load later this year.

To be honest with mixy having been so bad around here really and having a 12 bore for pigeons, the .22 lr and .22 air rifle never come out
if your hand loading how about 7mm -08

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE