What calibre do you hunt with

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

What calibre do you hunt with?

• .177 feathers & fur

Votes: 16 41.0%
  • .2 feathers & fur

Votes: 20 51.3%
  • .177 feathers, .22 fur

Votes: 3 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
...As for hollow points... I hear they are designed to spread out when they hit the quarry... This doesn't mean disintegrate does it?...

The proper term is, "...their designed to EXPAND on impact." And you're quite right in thinking said expansion negatively impacts penetration; but it doesn't usually degrade penetration enough to matter on any but the thicker skinned big game (think grizzlies and bigger) so it shouldn't be an issue with the odd rabbit or squirrel.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
30 grain is only a little over 2 grams :)

Edit, just re read my post, i meant to say twice that OF the .22lr round :)

You're pretty close regarding 556mm (or .223) bullets; they're available in 55 grain and 62 grain weights for military/police appliocations and a bit wider selection of weights and bullet styles for sporting loads. Hard to imagine 22lr being that heavy though. I haven't gotten the scales out yet (may have to do that shortly) but the entire loaded round really doesn't feel that heavy.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
30 grain is only a little over 2 grams :)

Edit, just re read my post, i meant to say twice that OF the .22lr round :)

LOL. I'll have to take your word for the conversion (grains to grams) I'm only used to weighing bulets and powder in grains.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Folk use .177 more these days as it takes much less skill to shoot accurately at distance.

I've always been a .22 guy, though i have a had a few.177's.

.22 will always take down quarry better than .177.

I can hit pretty much anything upto 80 yard with a .22 running at 11ft/lbs. Anythings possible, just depends how much you want to put into it, and how accurate you are at range estimation

Now come come Bill - I'm sure you and I had this argument when I joined the forum some years back.

While I agree with almost all of your post I feel I must make a few comments.

A .22 is indeed a slower more looping calibre and does indeed take much more skill to hit targets are serious range. However to state that a .22 will always take down quarry better than a .177 to me leaves out a slight detail.

a .22 will do everything a .177 will do - however it has one benefit - the heavier larger pellet will kill cleanly at closer distances - where the .177 "can" over penetrate and simply not kill your target due to less energy transfer (I believe)

IIRC (it may have been another member here Bill?) you hunt at shorter distances than I do. Averaging 25m - at these closer ranges a .22 does indeed have an advantage over .177 - particularly at under 20m. (slower velocity and larger size means more put down at shorter distance compared to over penetration with .177)

However this over penetration is often slated by .22 shooters who seem to forget that this is only at short distances.
This is a generalization but I have known .22 shooters to always go for the "easier" body shot rather than make head shots. (this is also often the case with .22lr shooters who rely on the power of their calibre to do the job)
It takes a skilled shooter to do this and hats off if you can. Personally I dislike this aim point when hunting as in my opinion it leaves too much space for error.
I favour head shots.

What I mean to say here is that slating the .177 because of over penetration is probably only considering body shots. And ignores the whole truth. (it is true a .177 will go through a rabbit at short distance) - Head shots will still kill.

At distances over 35m the .22 will drop more so than a .177 so a .22 shooter does need to know his/her ranges much better to take advantage of the weapon. (a hard skill I will admit.)

The .177 however does of course have that flatter trajectory so it is "easier" to shoot. That is to say that slight miscalculations in range to don't have such an effect.
But the .177 has no less put down capability than the .22 - its just that it is at slightly longer distances.

So there really is no better calibre in my eyes. I would say that the .22 is more versatile but the looping trajectory makes it more difficult to shoot. .177 is much easier to shoot, will easily kill at normal hunting ranges.

If the OP thinks he will require the weapon to be making kills at below 20m on rats and rabbits then a .22 would be the better option.

If however the primary quarry will be rabbits and pigeons at greater distances such as 35m+ then a .177 would be my recommendation.

I suppose it boils down to personal preference and choosing the right calibre for the job.

Frankly if you plan on doing rat shooting I'd get a proper dedicated rifle for it in .25 and do it properly.

Andy

bradleybuckman

Forager
Jun 25, 2010
Kentucky, USA
Just out of curiosity, are there any restrictions on what firearm calibers you can own in the UK? I was wondering because it seems that pellet rifle hunting seems to be pretty popular over there and didn't know if it was due to firearm laws or not. I realize that you guys aren't allowed to own handguns, but didn't know if any restrictions extended to rifles as well.

Last edited:

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Just out of curiosity, are there any restrictions on what firearm calibers you can own in the UK? I was wondering because it seems that pellet rifle hunting seems to be pretty popular over there and didn't know if it was due to firearm laws or not. I realize that you guys aren't allowed to own handguns, but didn't know if any restrictions extended to rifles as well.

You have to have a fire arms certificate to own a firearm. These are quite hard to get and involve a lengthy process. Shot guns are easier to get but still require certificates and are still tightly controlled.

Air rifles up to 12ft/lbs or energy are completely legeal to own without any license. Hence why many more people use them.

With regards to the actual rifle calibre I know of a couple of .50 cal rifles on sale but I imagine you need a special reason to want one to get it certified?
I don't have a FAC myself so I'm not all to hot on the details of them.

Andy

bradleybuckman

Forager
Jun 25, 2010
Kentucky, USA
Thanks for the information. It makes a lot more sense now as to why air rifles would be so popular there due to the regulations and permits required. I had no idea that rifles were so difficult to obtain for you guys and is a lot different from the regulations that I'm used to. Here, in my state at least, if you are of the legal age, have no criminal record, and have the money, you can walk into a store that sells guns and pretty much buy and walk out with whatever gun you want so long as it's not an automatic firearm or a shorter than legal barrel length. But even those can be obtained with the proper license. The procedure here is that you just show an ID that proves your age, fill out some minor paperwork and they call in your info to make sure that you are legally able to buy a handgun. After that is determined, you pay and leave with the gun. I know some states here have more restrictive laws than other states.

Last edited:

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
The other thing to bear in mind is that the UK is a crowded country - so shooting a gun with a (dangerous) range measured in the hundreds of yards would really restrict where you could shoot.

Much easier to use a pellet gun and only have to worry about safety for the next 100yards or so.

bradleybuckman

Forager
Jun 25, 2010
Kentucky, USA
That's a good point and I hadn't really thought of that, but it makes perfect sense from a safety point of view. I believe some states here in the US have restrictions on hunting with high powered rifles due to the distance on the ranges of those bullets and the flat, open terrain in those states. I believe they use shotguns with rifled barrels or just slugs through a regular barrel. The area that I live in has lots of hills, trees and other things to stop bullets, so I guess I just forget some of the issues that people in different areas face.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Thanks for the information. It makes a lot more sense now as to why air rifles would be so popular there due to the regulations and permits required. I had no idea that rifles were so difficult to obtain for you guys and is a lot different from the regulations that I'm used to. Here, in my state at least, if you are of the legal age, have no criminal record, and have the money, you can walk into a store that sells guns and pretty much buy and walk out with whatever gun you want so long as it's not an automatic firearm or a shorter than legal barrel length. But even those can be obtained with the proper license. The procedure here is that you just show an ID that proves your age, fill out some minor paperwork and they call in your info to make sure that you are legally able to buy a handgun. After that is determined, you pay and leave with the gun. I know some states here have more restrictive laws than other states.

True with long guns but actually the mandated wait for handguns is a federal requirement (sometimes waived if you have a state issued CCW)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
That's a good point and I hadn't really thought of that, but it makes perfect sense from a safety point of view. I believe some states here in the US have restrictions on hunting with high powered rifles due to the distance on the ranges of those bullets and the flat, open terrain in those states. I believe they use shotguns with rifled barrels or just slugs through a regular barrel. The area that I live in has lots of hills, trees and other things to stop bullets, so I guess I just forget some of the issues that people in different areas face.

Not always due to topography (rarely actually) Usually due to population density. Ohio ain't that flat.

bradleybuckman

Forager
Jun 25, 2010
Kentucky, USA
True with long guns but actually the mandated wait for handguns is a federal requirement (sometimes waived if you have a state issued CCW)

I'm not sure about the rest of the states, but in KY, there is no waiting period on handguns and you can take them home as soon as the background check is done and you pay, regardless of a CCW.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I'm not sure about the rest of the states, but in KY, there is no waiting period on handguns and you can take them home as soon as the background check is done and you pay, regardless of a CCW.

You can in Fl as well if you have a CCW, a 3 day wait for all others That's one of the concessions given when they passed the assault weapons ban in 1994. Perhaps Kentucky has an exemption based on whatever, but the wait is not a state requirement but rather a federal one (actually that was another concession to florida as the federal requirement was for a 5 day wait) The original stated purpose was to allow time for a criminal history check but as we know that's done instantaneously through the NICS system. Unfortunately when the actual ban sunsetted in 2004, the wait did not. IF you are getting a handgun without said wait, then I suggest you not advertise it until you research the reason for the exception.

bradleybuckman

Forager
Jun 25, 2010
Kentucky, USA
You can in Fl as well if you have a CCW, a 3 day wait for all others That's one of the concessions given when they passed the assault weapons ban in 1994. Perhaps Kentucky has an exemption based on whatever, but the wait is not a state requirement but rather a federal one (actually that was another concession to florida as the federal requirement was for a 5 day wait) The original stated purpose was to allow time for a criminal history check but as we know that's done instantaneously through the NICS system. Unfortunately when the actual ban sunsetted in 2004, the wait did not. IF you are getting a handgun without said wait, then I suggest you not advertise it until you research the reason for the exception.

Everything is being done in a legal manner and no state or federal laws have ever been broken in of any of my handgun purchases. Actually, you're information is incorrect. There is no federal law requiring a waiting period, the states set those.

Summary of Federal Law
There is no federal waiting period. Under the National Instant Criminal Background
Check System (NICS), a dealer may transfer a firearm to a prospective purchaser as soon
as he or she passes a background check.

If the FBI is unable to complete a background
check within three business days, the dealer may complete the transfer by default.
Federal law does not require private sellers to perform background checks on gun
purchasers. Accordingly, persons purchasing firearms from private sellers may take
immediate possession of their weapons, unless state or local law provides otherwise.

SUMMARY OF STATE LAWS GOVERNING WAITING PERIODS
Twelve states and the District of Columbia currently have waiting periods that apply to
the purchase of some or all firearms.

http://www.lcav.org/content/waiting_periods.pdf. Even before I had my CCW, I've never had to wait to purchase and take home a handgun. I have bought several handguns from this gun dealer in the past, which employs several retired police officers, and took the handgun home that day. Here is their link and if you look under the "Background Check" section, it clearly states that there is no waiting period for residents of KY.

Background Checks: There is no mandated waiting period for purchasing firearms in the state of Kentucky, but there is a background check required that involves filling out a form 4473. A current government issued photo ID with your current address must be present to complete the purchasing background check of all firearms.

Delays are possible upon completion of the background check. Generally these take 4 business days for the N.I.C.S. to resolve.

Out-of-state residents may purchase a long gun (rifle or shotgun) and may use their state ID providing it has a photo and current address and are subject to all applicable federal and state laws of the buyer's state of residence. If purchasing a handgun, out-of-state residents cannot take possession of that handgun until is has been transferred to a FFL dealer in your state who will comply with the laws and regulations of your state regarding handguns. We will need a signed copy of the FFL license that you wish your handgun(s) to be shipped. An additional shipping charge will be required for out-of-state resident handgun sales.

Military personnel may purchase handguns if they are out-of-state residents. They must provide a copy of their Permanent Duty Station orders and a current state photo ID.

http://shooterssupply.org/policies.html. Of course, you are always free to call them at the number listed at that link and they will tell you the same thing that I've stated.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE