What calibre do you hunt with

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

What calibre do you hunt with?

• .177 feathers & fur

Votes: 16 41.0%
  • .2 feathers & fur

Votes: 20 51.3%
  • .177 feathers, .22 fur

Votes: 3 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

spoony

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 6, 2005
tyne and wear
www.bike2hike.co.uk
Everyone with a .177 will say .177 everyone with a .22 will say .22 dont forget the .20. My advice dont get hung up on calibre, they will all do the job if the placement is correct. Learn your field craft, i have shot crows out to 35 yards with a .22 and pigeons with no probs. Buy a rifle get some practice and enjoy.

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
I'm looking at starting to home load later this year.

It is the way forward,great hobby,it is very satisfying when your rifles shoot 1/2" groups at 100 with ammo that you have made,cheaper than factory as well on the whole and no problem buying obscure calibres as once you have the cases you are in business.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Johnboy, I'm sorely tempted by 6.5 X 55, but the ammo isn't easy to get here.

I come across it in Prvi quite often. A dealer can always order in. 6.5 is seen by many as the ultimate all rounder- in-between .243 and .270 but with more punch than the .243 with much less recoil than the .270. Often grounds that insist on .270 as a minimum will allow 6.5. 6.5 is also a Home Office recommended round for fox as well.

Aaron Rushton

Tenderfoot
Jul 27, 2011
S. Wales
I like the look of the HW99S and am at a bit of a crossroads as to whether I should go for .177 or .22. I'd sooner be able to make a clean dispatch and although .22 sounds to have the greater *umph* the idea of a .177 is some what more appealing knowing that with a good clean head shot you'd bag yourself a nice tasty dinner. Last thing I would want to do is maim the poor thing and have it running away to hide & expire. Although, I understand with a .177 and the right pellet choice you'd be able to dispatch rabbits, squirrels, pigeons, rats, etc no problem and .177 seems to be the preference of many when I look around the internet.

I guess .177 it will be then.... once I have saved up some cash!

i'd recommend you get a .22 if your going for a spring gun. srping guns have a maximum range of 30 yards for the skill level of most users, and .22's trajectory is only a little less flat at these ranges, but if an accident happens ( and they do happen occasionally) like your pellet drifitng in the wind, prey moving, or something else sending your pellet off course, then .22 is more likely to be able to disable your quarry enough for you to run up and dispatch it. it's only past 30 yards, i think, where the .177 flatter trajectory becomes more advantageous. in a spring gun, .22 is the better choice imo.

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Johnboy, I'm sorely tempted by 6.5 X 55, but the ammo isn't easy to get here. Is it that good? I use a T3 in .243 and soon a T3 lite in .308. I'm looking at starting to home load later this year

Hi,

TBH if your getting a .308 I'd stick with that. It's a very capable calibre as everyone says a good all rounder. I ended up going down the 6.5x55 route as I got an old M96/38 cheap as a home restoration project... Then the local gun shop had a lightly used T3 in the same calibre that they wanted rid of as it's a bit of an odd ball so I plumped for that. For what I do it's fine. It's happy shooting Norma or Highland over most normal hunting ranges here in the NI ( sub 250m more realistically sub 100m). I'm happy to admit I'm no ballistics expert. 6.5x55 seems to be a good calibre for what I do. If I was shooting Thar or having a chase after wapiti then I might need something else but for goats, pigs, and the odd sika or red it's fine...

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Oh, yah! I only hunt with the very highest calibre of people. No oiks or yahoos allowed on my estate, what?

Tally ho!

Oh. Have I misunderstood the question?

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Can you not get heavier .177 to give a bit more impact?

Yeah you can, but the pellet weight gives loopier trajectory similar to that of .20, but with much less pellet choice, chances of finding a pellet thats good in your barrel are much slimmer due to the limited number of heavy weight .177's

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
You can get pellets that are basically .22LR bullet heads. Ok in FAC airguns but useless is legal limit rifles. .556 heads weigh in just over 60 grain IIRC. twice that on the .22lr round = twice as useless in sub 12ft/lbs, the rifling wouldn't really grip a FMJ round from an airgun either.

mitch66

Nomad
Mar 8, 2010
king's lynn norfolk
Hi, if i wanted a springer id have a .22 less recoil, pcp a .22 also, more shots per fill. but i would try all the guns you can untill you find one you like .177 or .22, dont buy chang wang crap. if you stick with theoben, HW, airarms. daystate (apart from the battery ones, well unless you want to send it back for repairs every 6 months ). you should be fine. buy good roundhead / dome pellets. not bulldog or millbro unless you just want to shoot coke cans with the kids. it dont really matter what cal you go for as long as you can hit what your aiming at. find a nice one, all the best carl

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I've heard - but haven't witnessed, that the HW99 is "sweeter" shooting in .22.
Personally I own 4 x .177 and 1 x .22. I seldom use the .22 other than ratting around the sheds or for the .22 springer comp at the club.
Whatever you go for, practice, practice then practice some more, until you can place your shots at different distances and elevations without even thinking about it. Remember, accuracy is the key with airguns and their limited power, rather than worriying about that last .1 of a foot-pound energy. Int the field there is no discernable difference between 10.5 and 12 ft-lb, it's all in the mind.

Enjoy.

Dave

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
Ok, cheers for the advice. I'll be going down the gun shop I think to try a few out and then decide which I get on best with. .177/.22 seems to be arguements for and against both of them. I feel my choice is swayed more towards .177 for now as a well placed shot with any calibre will dispatch quarry quickly. However, a miss placed shot in any calibre still has the potential to wound the animal rather than kill it, just apparently more so with the lighter .177 calibre, however an easier calibre to 'judge' trajectory so it's all swings and roundabouts it seems.

I'll just see how I feel in the shop. :)

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
.177 unfortunately does not always dispatch quarry quickly even when you hit what you are aiming at. I've had .177 pellets go clean through the head of a rabbit and the rabbit has run off. Sometimes they only get a few yards, others they dont stop running until you lose them. If its near a warren you've lost it and have a badly injured animal stuck underground.

The only thing .177 does better than .22 is to have a flatter trajectory between 35 and 50 yards. But all you have to do us aim a couple of inches higher with a .22 at 50 yards, it aint difficult. :)

Go .177 if your not a competent shot, go .22 if you are.

Welshwizard

Forager
Aug 11, 2011
Abergavenny Wales
Yeah you can, but the pellet weight gives loopier trajectory similar to that of .20, but with much less pellet choice, chances of finding a pellet thats good in your barrel are much slimmer due to the limited number of heavy weight .177's
I normally opt for hollow points in .177 on any kind of live target and keep my range down to around 40 yds wether I,m shooting .22 or .177 in airgun over that range I opt for .22 rimfire anyway , running targets I stick to the shotgun .

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
So, looking back at all the other posts. I want to just choose one calibre and learn it well. .22 or .177, whatever feels best in the shop.
However, I see that pellet choice can also affect the likelyhood of a runner
So would a heavier grain pellet work just as optimally as a standard grain 22 pellet?
Seems that everyone suggests to adjust the range to suit your gun as well. .22 to keep the range down to help keep a more predictable trajectory and .177 to up it to help avoid a pass though. Seems really if you were to do it properly you should have both calibres and pick and choose which is the best tool for the job!

As for hollow points... I hear they are designed to spread out when they hit the quarry... This doesn't mean disintegrate does it? as last think I would want is to eat bits of lead? Although, how often do you eat the head of an animal. I guess hollowpoints just flatten out better and so do not penetrate as well?

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Neither calibre will feel good in the shop :). Rifles will feel good in the shop, and once you have found a rifle that fits you nicely, then choose which calibre you want.

If you want the best of both worlds then get .20, never used one but i hear good things.

Pellet choice isn't difficult. Try a couple of different types of quality pellets, both will be accurate. But one will be slightly more so than the other. Use that, then buy a different type and try that against the ones that your using. Generally, there are maybe 5 brands of pellet that get used the most. You don't need to try every brand out there. If you can put 10 pellets under a 2p at the ranges you hunt, then thats all you need

.177 pellets will never have the knock down effect of a .22 due to a smaller impact area, Heavier pellets wont hit harder than lighter pellets in .177 due to the power of the rifle not changing. A heavier pellet will just travel slower than a lighter pellet. The only difference you will notice ( or not :)) is that a heavier pellet retains more energy at 50 yards than a lighter pellet. .22 have a larger surface area, so hit harder, be they lightweight or heavy weight .22. Also they retain more energy down range than a .177.

.22 trajectory is just as predictable as .177, its just loopier. for instance, if a .177 shoots 2 inch low at 50 yards, it will always shoot 2 inch low at 50. Compare that to say 4" drop on a .22, but it will always be the same 4" drop at 50. Difference is, a .22 pellet at 50 will carry 8 ftlbs of energy for example, whereas a .177 will have say 6.5. Also .177 are effected more easily by the wind, so that flatter trajectory out to 50 means nothing in a bit of wind. It could move off upto 2 to 3" in any direction.

Hollow points just flatten on impact, increasing impact energy. Only accurate out to 30 yards max though. Good for close up ratting or ferals in a barn.

So, looking back at all the other posts. I want to just choose one calibre and learn it well. .22 or .177, whatever feels best in the shop.
However, I see that pellet choice can also affect the likelyhood of a runner
So would a heavier grain pellet work just as optimally as a standard grain 22 pellet?
Seems that everyone suggests to adjust the range to suit your gun as well. .22 to keep the range down to help keep a more predictable trajectory and .177 to up it to help avoid a pass though. Seems really if you were to do it properly you should have both calibres and pick and choose which is the best tool for the job!

As for hollow points... I hear they are designed to spread out when they hit the quarry... This doesn't mean disintegrate does it? as last think I would want is to eat bits of lead? Although, how often do you eat the head of an animal. I guess hollowpoints just flatten out better and so do not penetrate as well?

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
The only reason .177 is popular these days is because of HFT. Until HFT started .177 was not a popular calibre if you didn't shoot FT

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I've heard - but haven't witnessed, that the HW99 is "sweeter" shooting in .22.

All springers and gas rams are sweeter to shoot in .22 due to needing less force generated by the spring/ram to throw the pellet at the speed needed to generate the power needed :)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
You can get pellets that are basically .22LR bullet heads. Ok in FAC airguns but useless is legal limit rifles. .556 heads weigh in just over 60 grain IIRC. twice that on the .22lr round...

You're pretty close regarding 556mm (or .223) bullets; they're available in 55 grain and 62 grain weights for military/police appliocations and a bit wider selection of weights and bullet styles for sporting loads. Hard to imagine 22lr being that heavy though. I haven't gotten the scales out yet (may have to do that shortly) but the entire loaded round really doesn't feel that heavy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE