What bushcraft stuff have you done this week?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ozhaggishead

Nomad
Dec 8, 2007
Sydney
www.flickr.com
I just had the cool idea for a wee thread........So what kind of bushcrafty kind of things have you done in the passed week or so?:bluThinki

Can be anything for something you cooked to a craft thing you made or something you saw on a walk.Just list everything that that happen in the last 7 days that in some way relates to bushcraft.

sirex

Forager
Nov 20, 2008
bournemouth
been crampball hunting. So far not found any, i think im unlucky or doing something wrong ;p Determined to start our garden firepit using one once i find a supply of them.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
I picked a piece of red dead nettle this morning...........just to check it still had a 'square stem' and hadn't become 'round stemmed' since last year and evolution was changing......:confused: As far as I know all members of the mint family have square stems...could be wrong though, and will be happy to be corrected and learn something new. I also picked some ground ivy and had a cup of ground ivy tea with a small dash of honey....just about an hour ago when I walked my dog.

Cap'n Badger

Maker
Jul 18, 2006
Port o' Cardiff
Today....made wholemeal bannock on the stove.....Started tillerin' me latest 'Hazel' flat bow....an' made 14 arrowheads from old tent pegs I found in the bottom o' me toolbox....as ye can see....got t' much time on me hands...Still, back t' regular employment next week! hussah!:D

Trying my hardest to build up my pacing to walking more than 4 miles without collapsing in agony...
Caught several wild brownies on the spinner (a bit too cold for the fly as yet although had a 2lb er a few weeks ago on it)and cooked/ate them.
Planted loads of willows for future basket weaving stock...
Planted loads of rasps, onions, carrots, potatoes...to increase self sufficiency.
Planted heather, herbs, lavender and some firs all for future projects...
Spent plenty time practising my hammock skills in the back garden during the recent sunny days...:lmao:
Trying to teach myself a bit more about weather forcasting
Made several paracord bracelets/dog collars for friends
Made loads of stuffsacks with the sewing maching from old material for trips etc.
Started preparing trees for resin collection later in the year.
A fair bit of wildlife watching/surveying inbetween (my local ospreys are back)

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Went for a short hike from Glenbranter, along the eastern shore of loch ech and stopped for a bit on a beach. We went just to see what was growing and to see the views. Mainly birch and oak plus the multitudes of pine. Lots and lots of primrose,bluebells and the like. Not much in the way of ramsons though. A few hazels dotted about. Several deer along the route too, got fairly close before the spotted us and ran for cover. Collected some birch bark for a camping trip that didn't happen unfortunately.

Went to Kilmuns Aboretum , was a lovely walk up the 'Alpine walk' mostly unwalked compared to the other trails. Some beautiful trees there, and some amazing views if you go up off the path a ways.

Finally went up Pucks Glen, on the side of Loch Eck, near Benmore gardens, just to see whats there. It's a nice walk, but the glen feels a little neglected or mismanaged. A few small bags of dog poo left lying around too :( We went up out of Pucks Glen to the hills above and went for a wee walk along the top. Was a lovely day, and the views were stunning.

Will post some pics later, although we didn't have a decent camera so don't expect things of Waylands quality.. :D

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
This week we have mostly attemping to build a shed on the allotment.
but between treading on nails, and getting splinters, I have IDed most of the weeds on there and tried eating quite a few. I am working on cooking up nipplewort. We eaten quite enough nettle for now. I have a bucket of snails that are getting pampered so we can eat them next week.
I did my first piece of tablet weaving yesterday. A great way of making really lovely looking straps and webbing. I spent 2 days making the tablets, that once I started doing it I thought why did I bother I should of used plastic playing cards.
I am also thinking up what I can do maple blossom, it tastes nice. Again i need to work on recipe.
I have harvested all the daffodils that are going over to make a dye with. Wouldn't of thought it if wasn't for sandsnakes thread.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
The truth:

Finally got around to chopping out a tree root on Thursday only to spend the next 3 days in bed and unable to move. Not much better now but at least I know for sure that I can no longer do at 50 that tackled without thought at 25!:(

Cheers

Sainty

Nomad
Jan 19, 2009
St Austell
Apart from the Cornwall RV this weekend, I found Three Cornered Leeks (Allium triquetrum) growing through the fence at the back of our office. I'd never heard of it until we did the Wild Food Walk at the RV. :)

Martin

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I'm still a bit whacked out from surgery last week but I've been putting some new pockets on this old leather jerkin I got from Decorum.

midlands03-09d.jpg

I've also replaced the military brass buttons with wooden ones.

(This picture is borrowed from Steve's set showing the Viking method of wearing a cloak.)

I've also been walking Skadi, our dog, on the moors looking for deer sign and protesting over the destruction being meted out upon a plantation in nesting season.

Other than that I've been collecting elder sticks to make new point protectors for my leather working awls, gathering wild garlic for the pot (and a bit for the freezer), packing for the Ayrshire meet this weekend and trawling through S/H bookshops for stuff on old crafts as usual.

Not much this week.

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
Collected some tinder from the nature reserve down the road ,
Started my BBQ with a bit of last years christmas tree,
Had a read of my UK trees book and ordered the book wild food off the bay .
Twodogs

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
I went on a one night camping trip up to a wood near my house with an old freind of mine, we brought up some lamb to kebab on the fire which was lovely, only problem was that i think we drank a little to much, I had an evil hangover the next day.

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
cooked some cous cous chicken and veg on my stove, practised setting up some snares no luck catching any thing, made a brew, found some crampballs, and practised fire lighting.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I just had my old "foldaway into a metal briefcase" barbeque out and burnt some old birch wood in it to see if it will take the heat of flames and embers without buckling everywhere. Normally with just coals it is fine, but with the flames from wood burning i wanted to ensure it could cope. It did just fine so i can use that as a fire base in the woods to stop people getting uppity about fire scars. It has four fold out legs with a good six inch stand off from the ground. I took the opportunity to make some billy tea and do a few rounds of toast on the ember bed!

Iona

Nomad
Mar 11, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I have harvested all the daffodils that are going over to make a dye with. Wouldn't of thought it if wasn't for sandsnakes thread.

Can you direct me to that thread? Or a link that will tell me how to do that? Sounds cool...

So... This past week I have gathered nettles and made beer, eaten enough ramsoms to make me sick, found some wood sorrel and searched unsuccessfully for morels. and all the way teaching my boy plant and tree IDs.

Me and my 7 year old are making a hobo stove for a camping trip at the weekend (totally poached design from a thread on here) :) so should have plenty more to add after that! Otherwise I have mostly been planting veges. Not sure how "bushcrafty" it is, but it involves being out in the sunshine covered in muck, so I'm happy!

PJMCBear

Settler
May 4, 2006
Hyde, Cheshire
In the last week I've gone out collecting Knotweed shoots with Singeblister and started some wine off with them, practiced a bit of plant ID while out too.

I've started reading the Book of Bivi (to see if I can learn anything new), and carried on my studies of medicinal plants and herbs (ongoing thing - could be a long time that one).

I should have done more, but the wife had me spring cleaning. :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE