Humidity and cooling down

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I'm just wondering, especially considering the last week we've had, what you do to keep cool, particularly regarding issues with high humidity. I really struggled on some days this last week, it was hot and bright, but I can generally deal with that even when it's uncomfortable, but I struggled when my systems couldn't let my heat out becasue of the 95%+ humidity. Fans helped, so did jumping in the sea a good few times.

Thoughts or tips from anyone?

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Stay hydrated with electrolytes. Wear loose fitting clothes. In blighty the weather won't last long enough for us to acclimatise before it changes again....

Reactions: Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Even a spray bottle of cold water wasn't evaporating fast enough earlier in the week :sigh:
humidity at 83% one afternoon, and hot too.

I find that if I really have to cool down that running cold water over my wrists, or even just plunging my hands and wrists into cold water, for a few minutes helps.
The blood runs close to the skin at the wrists and it really does help cool the body.

Reactions: gibson 175

Oliver G

Sep 15, 2012
Ravenstone, Leicestershire
I had a bit of 99% IPA that I mixed 70/30 with water and used that in a spray bottle to use to cool down, it worked well. Anything you can use to drop the flashpoint of water helps in high humidity. Just glad I wasn't near any ignition sources...

• Haha
Reactions: Kadushu and Toddy

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
I remember reading that when this was tested one forearm cooled was enough to cool one for 45C if no activity. Achieving that is another subject.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Depends on the temperature of the wind.
July 2022 you wouldn’t have wanted to drive with the windows open. I very rarely use the AC but I’m told I’m wrong.
Once you are above 45mph (72K) it’s more fuel efficient to use the AC than drive with the windows down producing drag. Doesn’t sound right to me but that’s what I pay the RAC for. It’s certainly cooler.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
I'm sure the RAC are right but, you know what, I don't want to be on my deathbed thinking, 'I wish I'd driven with the window open, feeling the wind blowing through my hair, more often.'

Wind it down and drive like you're on the Pacific Coast and the Devil can sort it all out...

Reactions: bigbear

bearbait

I soaked my baseball cap in water from a stream, hoping that the evaporation of it from my head in the breeze would help cool me a little while hiking. I think that evaporation rate may be lower in high humidity, so I can't say that I noticed whether it actually worked or not, but I'll try it again. Every little helps!

ManFriday4

Nomad
Nov 13, 2021
Oxfordshire
The combination of heat and humidity makes if difficult for the body to cool down through sweat evaporation.

"Dew point temperature' and 'wet bulb temperature' are also measures of humidity. These are both measures of how close the air is to being saturated. If they are equal to the actual air temperature then the air is saturated and RH is 100 %.

The wet bulb temperature is the traditional way of measuring humidity. It is measured by allowing the air to cool a thermometer exposed to water by evaporation."- Source MET Office.

The tables here are a good guide to safe temperatures and assessing risk from humidity & heat. https://arielschecklist.com/wbgt-chart/

Stay hydrated, drink iced drinks, stay out of the Sun, get into a cool paddling pool, get your clothes wet, take things slow, avoid alcohol and use hydration electrolytes. Iced lollies, cold showers.

If you can, go somewhere air conditioned. An electric fan can help too.

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
Phoenix Arizona is the hottest large city in the USA. The last open areas have been ‘developed’
And the heat signature from reflecting cement and asphalt are enough to blunt all but the powerful monsoons coming in. Public misters are everywhere. Longterm natives have done everything to adapt. Yet, my Nephew and family curtailed all but essential outdoor activities.
It was just reported well over 200
Deaths this past summer were heat related.
Lots of good Do’s listed. One big DON’T. Listen to your body. ANY
Indication of stress, stop and cool

gibson 175

Apr 9, 2022
West Yorkshire
If at home; getting in a cool bath(not ice cold -don't like that) for a few minutes, made that horrible hot day bearable. as long as you keep the water clean you can get back in every so often. i had several dips over the course of the evening. also as other people have said wet towels./buff etc draped on body wherever suits you. if hiking I dip buff in stream when it dries out and put on head/neck etc

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Aussie Neck Cobbers are specifically made to cool arteries in the neck. Have some sort of water absorbing polycrystal so expect to work longer than wet cloth.
Believe Tilley makes one.

• Love
Reactions: gibson 175

dean4442

Nov 11, 2004
Wokingham UK
Aussie Neck Cobbers are specifically made to cool arteries in the neck. Have some sort of water absorbing polycrystal so expect to work longer than wet cloth.
Believe Tilley makes one.
There's a British army one made by BCB, I have one and it works pretty well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE