What bushcraft stuff have you done this week?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ozhaggishead

Nomad
Dec 8, 2007
Sydney
www.flickr.com
I was playing around with the camera today and did a littel photo journal thing,here is all the bushcrafty things I have done the passed week of so week.
IMG_1101.jpg

First up is a wee bit of leather craft origami a no stitch leather sheath I made for a littel neck knife I made,
IMG_1252.jpg

I started a vinegaroon mix for my leathercraft,
IMG_1166.jpg

I was playing around in my garden in the dark trying to take a cool firesteel photo
IMG_1211.jpg

Foraged some big banksia seeds from the side of the road for future craft projects,
IMG_1243.jpg

Did the finishing touches to a pouch I hope to sell or trade,

Not a bad week at all....

smoggy

Forager
Mar 24, 2009
North East England
I was lucky enough to get down to the Plain for the weekend (car, MOT only just made it) and so managed to collect a couple of fair lumps of flint, so I can have a play with that at some point....

I was also able to demonstrate to a couple of squadies how to light wet wood....(collection and use of pine resin) .....yes I know it's best to use dry wood, but by way of a demo on how good resin is as an accelerant, they were impressed. (i've previously made a penny stove for them on the campsite) as one of them said, handy stuff to know, you never know when you could become seperated from your kit in the field.

Smoggy.

xavierdoc

Apr 5, 2006
SW Wales
I've been up at the crack of dawn each day trying to get some fallow bucks in the freezer before the end of the season.

I've been lucky with the weather: magical scenes as the sun has come up (the compact camera I take stalking just doesn't allow enough control to do justice to the beauty):

DSCF5372mono.jpg

There is a small lake on the other side of the trees -the mist rises off it and forms layers as the sun comes up. When the deer are out in the field, with the light behind it gives me goose bumps!

Bagged three so now I can lie-in as no more freezer space! I delayed my first morning's "hunter's breakfast" due to concerns over liver flukes (see in "fair game") but the excellent advice on this forum meant I could enjoy it the next day:

Tenderloin, kidney, eggs and shrooms (all from within 1 square mile of the breakfast table!)
Huntersbreakfast.jpg

The chickens have done a great job of cleaning three old heads so I used some antler to make scrapers for the hide:
DSCF5382.jpg

DSCF5389.jpg

DSCF5393.jpg

It is an tatty old hide (from freezer) as I have never tried this before -enjoyed the various threads here on the subject. I have saved several hides as it seems such a waste not to use them.

Can't say my scrapers were much cop -used a large, dull knife in the end.

Also been taking young 'uns riding:

DSCF5380.jpg

They get to trot around the wood while I'm mucking about in it! The wood anemones are out and the bluebells are well on the way -lovely time of the year! Back to work next week, though, so must make the most of it.

Cheerio

Xav

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Checked out a new site for overnights, foraged some King Alfreds Cake fungus, checked out some new hammocking gear and sleeping bags, tried out my new waterproof leggings.

Soloman

Settler
Aug 12, 2007
Scotland
Went down to my shoot today to try to zero in and understand the new gun.
No rabbits about but dont feel confident yet anyway with the air ranger.
Going fishing tomorrow with a buddy who will with a bit of luck teach me how to catch a fish,in return ill get him killing clays.
soloman.

cheapeats

Forager
Feb 20, 2008
New England
We built brush shelters and tarp shelters with my scout troop, my youngest son and I made fire starters using a soda can stove to melt the wax, we played with using a sparker to catch flame.

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands
It's excellent to see so many people up to stuff!

I went out with my daughter on a hike to try out her new Swiss Volcano cooker along the Severn River. I had made a lid from a 10cm pudding can lid to help cooking times, and along with my Swedish Trangia, we ate and drank heartily. I'm impressed with the vesatility of the Volcano with regards to fuel. We picked up tinder and brush as we walked and had enough for our brew. I tried my Trangia windshield over a fire and it turned copper!

Here's some pics of the Volcano in action;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11980281@N03/sets/72157616919091512/

Great thread.

Magentus

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
It's excellent to see so many people up to stuff!

I went out with my daughter on a hike to try out her new Swiss Volcano cooker along the Severn River. I had made a lid from a 10cm pudding can lid to help cooking times, and along with my Swedish Trangia, we ate and drank heartily. I'm impressed with the vesatility of the Volcano with regards to fuel. We picked up tinder and brush as we walked and had enough for our brew. I tried my Trangia windshield over a fire and it turned copper!

Here's some pics of the Volcano in action;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/organize/?start_tab=sets

Great thread.

Magentus

Don't think thats the right link Magentus, it takes me to a page to upload my own pics.. ;)

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Re-handled my SAK with local birch burl. It's currently clamped up in the vice.

When for a great walk last night as it was getting dark though the local woods, gathered some fungi, stayed still in several places watching the wood go to sleep.

Chopping the everlasting pile of wood for next seasons log burning. Around 6 cubic m stacked now, phew!

sirex

Forager
Nov 20, 2008
bournemouth
been crampball hunting. So far not found any, i think im unlucky or doing something wrong ;p Determined to start our garden firepit using one once i find a supply of them.

found one :) -- actually, once i found one i found 4-5 more. Learnt a few tree names in the process too which is always a good thing. Took me 3 outings though ;p alot harder to come by than i expected, or maybe its just sods law.

grebo247365

Tenderfoot
Jan 14, 2007
Grimsby, Lincolnshire, GB.
1 This week I took my son for a trek round the local woods.
2 Collected a bit of flint from a nearby field for a bit of knapping.
3 Carved a fire hardened spear and promptly gouged a bit of skin out of my hand with it - Doh!.
4 Found some young goosegrass in the garden, very nice boiled briefly and smothered in lurpack butter, much like spinach, remove the main stems though - bit chewy.
5 Plotted a multi-day hike through the north york moors, plenty of nice looking woodland on the OS map!
6 Generally kicked bottom and chewed gum.

Iona

Nomad
Mar 11, 2009
Ashdown Forest
went CAMPING!!!

tested out my new hinge trivet, over the campfire :)

picked St georges and Jew's ears as well as loads of greens :)

Drank MORE nettle beer

made charcloth out of the jeans that my son ruined jumping out of trees :D

discovered that my Dads old single barrel shotgun is ready and waiting for me to get a license and learn to use it and is MINE! (not strictly bushcraft, but very exciting for this shooting newbie)

Generally had an amazing weekend fire-gazing and enjoying the spring time.

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
found an axe (left by previous owner of house in loft) and am going to start shining it up and possibly a new handle but it looks okay the handle for now, the head is solid but a bit rusty so shining and sharpening is in order not started yet though

also info on the axe i dont a clue as in regards to a maker but its about the size and weight of a granny burks mini hatchet

drew

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE