What breathable/water proof jacket to buy?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
As reviewed on Keela's web page...

Adventure Travel Magazine:- "The Keela Munro has gained legendary status in the Adventure Travel office over the last 12 years. We've used this jacket on a hike across Iceland, climbing high peaks in the Alps and the Himalaya and walks in all terrains and conditions. Not as warm as an insulated ski jacket but far warmer than a standard waterproof jacket, the Munro is a genuine go anywhere do anything item of clothing that comes with great breathability and it dries out quickly when wet. It's got every feature you need and then some - snow skirt, useful pockets and a great wired hood - and would be spot on for winter mountaineering, skiing, boarding, hiking etc. Only the fashion conscious will want to look elsewhere.
In a line: Great all round winter jacket - 5 stars. ''

OE Magazine:- "The Munro has a very sound pedigree, having become the jacket of choice for a number of mountain rescue teams in the UK. It's not that light as it's packed full of features, one of which is a dual protection system. Combine this with a highly wickable liner to improve breathability and you have a jacket that can be used pretty much year round unless you're in especially warm conditions. There are all the essential features you'd expect on any serious bit of mountain wear. The Munro also has a really nice fit, feels just 'right' when you're wearing it and makes an excellent option if you're after one really well specced jacket for year-round use."

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I wouldn't get too hung up on finding the perfect jacket based on opinions here. I would find a few recommendations and place the order for the most likely. If it doesn't suit, send it back.

The Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations gives you a cooling off period that allows you to change your mind. But you only have seven working days. In the case of services that starts from placing the order. And with goods you have seven working days from receiving the order. All you have to do is:

1. Phone the trader/company to inform them.
2. Then you must inform them in writing - by letter, fax or email - of your decision to cancel. Keep proof of postage.
3. Wait. Your money should be reimbursed as soon as possible - and in any case within a maximum period of 30 days.

Rockmonkey

Settler
Jan 12, 2012
uk
I've had various apparently waterproof jackets, and the Tahr i have owned for 3 years now, is the only true bushcraft waterproof.
You really do get what you pay for when it comes to staying dry!
Great piece of kit!

RM

Rich83

Sep 6, 2012
Selsey, West Sussex
While I am sure the Tahr is fantastic it is not going to be something I would wear to pick up the kids or pop to the shop in where as the Keela looks fine. Infact, I have a Soldier 2000 smock jacket I wear all the time (black) and that's pretty trendy, a mate has almost the same but SuperDry!

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I had a Swazi Wapiti coat... it was made by a lady called Rose I think.

It was so expensive that I restricted my activity to protect it. I then sold it to buy something else. Good kit but got VERY hot and too expensive.

Rich83

Sep 6, 2012
Selsey, West Sussex
Yeah I don't want a jacket that is too nice to use! Just watched "keela tv" on Youtube and I think I am gonna buy it. I'll let you know how it turns out, thanks muchly for everyone's help.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
You might like to look at Paramo jackets. They seem to have a "Marmite" reputation, but I've had one for 5 years now and it's the best I've ever had. Their ethos is to provide long lasting, re-proofable kit combined with sound business and manufacturing policies. Over the years I've spent too much on jackets that continue to look good long after the inside proofing had died.
No quality jacket comes cheap, but working on initial price divided by years of use, my Paramo is great value for money.

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Keela make good kit and made in Scotland. Not bad kit at not bad prices. Have to say after being issued a ventile jacket for work am tempted to save up and get a ventile for myself! Or maybe one of the ridgeline jackets if I can't save up the money

Orric

rg598

Native
For that type of money, I would go with the Artexyx Beta SV or if you want more features the Alpha SV. I have the Beta SV, and it is just a pure shell. It is very light and compresses to the size of a sock. It makes it very easy to carry around in your pack all the time.

4713.jpg

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Here in the Lake District , Keela have a pretty good rep for the money.
I have loads of waterproofs but I guess the ones I wear most are Paramo smock if not too wet or Arc'teryx Alpha SV if it's very foul.
Paramo has the benefit of being silent like ventile but will get wet eventually.The Alpha is totally bombproof but even after quite a few years it is still stiff and fairly noisy.More of a mountain coat than a casual pick the kids up from school one.Mountain Hardwear conduit softshell might also be worth looking at.I have a pair of trousers in this material which shed water well and are very hardwearing.I would love the jacket to match but SWMBO would skin me alive.
HTH Cheers , Simon

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
I bought one of these in the sales the other day for general wear as well as outdoor activities. It's the style you are after and has the benefit of being adaptable for the seasons. So far I've very happy with it and it received good reviews everywhere I looked:

http://www.timberlandonline.co.uk/o...ear&pid=1000J&start=8&source=search&color=001

I got it a bit cheaper at half price by going into a Timberland shop. I know Timberland have become a bit of a fashion statement, but their gear is still well made. I bought some hiking boots there on sale a few years ago and they are brilliant. I use them for hiking and hunting all year round.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE