What breathable/water proof jacket to buy?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rich83

Sep 6, 2012
Selsey, West Sussex
Now I don't mind second hand nor military however I want something ideally not camo so I can wear it generally.

I have had army gore-tex and think it rocks, the MVP stuff. Didn't get sweaty, stayed dry in epic down poor.

Also a fan of large jackets, parka or smock sized. This is the style I would want. I like to be fully encompassed!!

What recommendations does anyone have? Other than branded Gore-Tex, what other systems are there out there that are cheaper but a good? I have the cash to get a new jacket you see so need to find out which. I see Patagonia ones look sort of the right style but are expensive even second hand...

Rich83

Sep 6, 2012
Selsey, West Sussex
I have brought two RAF jackets,neither have a hood :( I think the Navy ones have reflective bits all over which is a bit off putting but thanks.

I couldn't find any Swazi on eBay... Can you link me?

Rich83

Sep 6, 2012
Selsey, West Sussex
I found the one you are after on eBay lol but a little over priced compared to the list price on the website. I like the Klondyke tho, very nice but damned expensive which is not what I am after lol.

Any other suggestions?

Rich83

Sep 6, 2012
Selsey, West Sussex
The Deerhunter range does look really good value thanks very much for that tip!

The Harkila range is well pricy but if you are a small there is a jacket on eBay now ending tomorrow I think!

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
I now want the Deerhunter Gotland :)

Cannot comment on the Gotland personally but looks extremely good spec and value for the price.
I have used the Ram jacket and strides for stalking in all weathers and been very pleased, the outer fabric seems to 'hold' a bit of water on the surface but i have never had any leaks or water ingress even after a long day out, and the suit does not weigh a ton after a torrential downpoor, as with other performance clothing where you might be active for longish periods, base layers are very important.

Rich83

Sep 6, 2012
Selsey, West Sussex
Sounds good. Ideally I'd get a second hand one but I may just bite the bullet. I assume it'd be pretty tough as well? It'd hold up in the bush going through brambles and not look out of place walking the dog down the street or picking the kids up from school?

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I would probably go for a Keela Munro myself. They're british and their kit is dependable as well as being well priced.

I have been meaning to buy one for ages now.

Rich83

Sep 6, 2012
Selsey, West Sussex
Too much for me to get away with wearing out with the wife and I can't afford to get one for the wilds and one for the town and the reason I sold my army gore tex was that I was always gutted I was getting wet when I had great MVP's at home but the wife wouldn't be seen with me lol

Rich83

Sep 6, 2012
Selsey, West Sussex
I've also been looking at the Colombia jackets. They look nice. It's important for the jacket I pick to be a shell only as I want to use it all year round and have various thermal under layers like fleece shirts and softies etc. I have the Wild Things Tactical / USMC happy suit jacket if it gets cold.

Rich83

Sep 6, 2012
Selsey, West Sussex
I'd spend £150 if I had to. I don't mind buying really good quality kit as I will look after it if it'll last a life time. That's basically my ethos - if it'll last some years and be the best I can get I'll pay for it.

This is EXACTLY what I am looking for in style wise - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Keela-Mun..._Men_s_Coats_Jackets&var=&hash=item3a7d50844c

Ironically there are three in red in the same size on eBay. I want the black but I think they will sell for far less in the red.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I have a Keela Munro in black and green. Nice subdued colours, but not camo, so easy to blend in, but still wearable on the street without looking too gung ho.

The Munro is a great jacket and comes in at less than £130 if you shop around online.

What Keela say about it:
Keela's flagship jacket capable of taking you through the toughest conditions imaginable. Has helped conquer the biggest mountains on the planet and is used by Mountain Rescue Teams, Tactical Forces and expedition teams all around the World.
Weight:1.098kg

Keela website here.

allcolours.png

Rich83

Sep 6, 2012
Selsey, West Sussex
Yeah found it for £130. IS it worth the money? Is it tough and durable? Is it MVP proper, as I hate non breathable water proof gear as I end up just as wet inside!! I also assume its got no lining?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE