What Are Your Favorite Vegetable Sandwiches?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I have altered my diet of late, might be useful to you.

Instead of having, say, a pork steak on the BBQ, I make a kebab with veg.

This way my steak goes further and I am eating my veg up.

(Stew is another good way to get veg into a meat diet)

Im not a great sandwedge eater, -Halumi cheese toasted with home made chutney is nice.

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
My favourite at the moment is a sweet potato wrap (gluten free) spread with a good humous, sometimes swop that out for mayonnaise.
Then I add a handful of sweet and crunchy salad. ( iceberg lettuce thinly sliced red cabbage and carrots)
Then I top that with either grated cheddar or feta cheese cubes or crumbled falafel.

Cucumber sandwiches done "properly" as in for harrods afternoon tea.

White bread thinly sliced
Cucumber peeled and thinly sliced

Butter bread and place cucumber onto slice.
Add top slice, cut off the crusts, cut into triangles and arrange neatly onto tiered cake stand and serve with a good cup of tea made in a pot with tea leaves.

My way ... before I had to go gluten free.
Some medium slices cut from a sandwich loaf buttered
Thick chunky slices of cucumber skin on. A touch of salt.
Slap it all together and enjoy .
We did cucumber sandwiches like this for a bring and share event with our neighbours in France. We did it for a laugh, knowing better than to try to beat the French at food. To our surprise, they genuinely liked them and asked us to do them again!

Haven't quite had the nerve to try Marmite on them though!

Reactions: Allison McKenzie

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
It's creeping up into the mid-80's or warmer these days.
Not enough for picnics on the floor in the cooler air yet.
Have not dragged out the fans as the grape vines keep the heat off the west side.

However, it occurs to me that I would like California Roll or Vietnamese salad rolls.
The maker/eater could easily sub just about any veg for a meaty thing in the middle.
How about a row of grapes? Fat strip of watermelon?

West facing side vines. 12' to the roof. Local mountain peak over the RH neighbor's place.
12grapesCs.jpg

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Anyone who says you can swap meat for mushrooms or lentils (nice in themselves; I love them) has no taste buds.

Or sense of texture.

Beets and cheese sounds very nice. However at the moment I am out of beets.

Im trying to cut out stodge, (I love potatoes and pasta) Ive eaten less under lockdown because Dad served up vast quantities of bread. I like a bit of bread, but unlike him, I do not eat a loaf a day.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
No thank you

Im not keen either but making veg edible is surely a desirable thing?

I grew up hating veg as my mother could never cook them right. (Plus she had a modernists obsession with canned goods)

Now I love things like cabbage and peas.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think vegetables come desirable :)

Finely grated fresh Brussell sprouts might sound horrible, but in reality they're very good, much nicer than boiled to smelly insipidness. Roasted ones are tasty though.

:)

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Call me fussy but if I had a finely grated brussel sprout I would add a carrot and make coleslaw.

That might make an appealing change from white cabbage

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Brussel sprouts are easy to grow, and they don't need picked and stored, they last on the stem outside in the garden. Well, so long as you don't have slugs and snail problems.

M

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
I have likely mentioned this before, but iit stands repeating because it is lovely.

Fry a diced onion in a lot of butter plus a load of ground cumin and coriander, garlic, salt. Cook and cool a batch of green lentils. Cook the same amount of frozen peas. Put all into a bowl wiith some oil or butter and then mash. It makes an astonishingly good, hearty/earthy, rustic spread.

Sandwiches prepared with this can include green onions and/or tomatoes and/or leafy greens

An excellent side with beets, horseradish and apple sauce ... and cold pork

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Fried onion sandwich.
I made this once when I was very poor and only had bread and an onion.
Sometimes when you are realy hungry the strangest things taste great.

Reactions: Allison McKenzie

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE