What Are Your Favorite Vegetable Sandwiches?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I’ll start with a little background and a some examples. First, any of you who’ve read my posts for any length of time know I primarily love a carnivorous diet. Oh I like good vegetables as much as anybody else, but I thrive on meat. So why am I delving into something like vegetable sandwiches? Frankly because I’ve had a few of those that I like too. A caveat is in order here thought: because I say “vegetable” sandwich, doesn’t mean it is necessarily “vegan.” Egg or dairy based condiments such as butter, or mayonnaise, ranch dressing, etc. are acceptable. Now for a few examples:

-Tomato sandwiches are popular here in the Southeast when local, fresh tomatoes are available. they’re also one of my favorites. Unlike an earlier thread I started about fried green tomatoes, these sandwiches are made with raw, ripe tomatoes. Preferably beefsteak tomatoes as they fill the sandwich better. It’s a simple sandwich. Just a bit of mayonnaise on each slice of bread, then a thickesh slice of fresh, raw tomato, and season to taste with salt and pepper.

-Next up on my personal list would be the garden sandwich Subway offers (yeas you can make it at home but I got the idea from eating theirs so credit is due here) Take the basic French loaf and split it for a submarine style sandwich (also called PoBoy style here along the Gulf of Mexico) At subway you can choose from any of the vegetable toppings they have for the meat sandwiches and can also add a cheese if you like. In my case I omit the cheese for this sandwich and have shredded lettuce, raw spinach, cucumbers, black olives, tomatoes, pickle chips (you call them gherkin chips) pickled jalepeno slices, onions, sweet pepper slices, salt, pepper, mayonnaise, and an oil & vinegar based salad dressing.

-My third example is one Barbara likes (apparently a favorite in the states along the Great Lakes) a simple onion sandwich. First butter both bread slices and then add a thickish slice of raw onion (sliced across the layers)

-My final example comes with a couple of questions as well. That would be a cucumber sandwich. I’ve never tried one but it has a reputation here of being the sort of thing y’all moght serve at a high tea. The questions are a) is it a common sandwich there. and b) if so could any of you describe it? (What type of bread? What condiments, seasoning, etc?)

And now for the fun: please list and describe any of your favorite favorite vegetable sandwiches. As I said earlier they don’t need to be completely vegan and animal based condiments are allowed. @Toddy if I remember correctly you’re both a vegan (although vegan isn’t a requirement as such, a vegan entry would be welcome) and a baker (fresh baked breads would make an awesome sandwich!) I hope you have some good contributions

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Fresh red ripe tomato sandwich would be #2 on my list.
My own chopped egg salad would be #3.

Cucumber with mayo/salad dressing, S & P is #1.
Just a swipe of mayo on the bread and multitudes of thin slices
of the long, skinny "English" style cucumber.
Reminds me of life at the summer lake house when I was a kid and then had my own place there.

The comfort food to be eaten in the dead of night is a peanut butter sandwich.
This is seasoned with bright yellow hotdog mustard and a generous handful of shredded cheeses.

Reactions: Nice65

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
My favourite at the moment is a sweet potato wrap (gluten free) spread with a good humous, sometimes swop that out for mayonnaise.
Then I add a handful of sweet and crunchy salad. ( iceberg lettuce thinly sliced red cabbage and carrots)
Then I top that with either grated cheddar or feta cheese cubes or crumbled falafel.

Cucumber sandwiches done "properly" as in for harrods afternoon tea.

White bread thinly sliced
Cucumber peeled and thinly sliced

Butter bread and place cucumber onto slice.
Add top slice, cut off the crusts, cut into triangles and arrange neatly onto tiered cake stand and serve with a good cup of tea made in a pot with tea leaves.

My way ... before I had to go gluten free.
Some medium slices cut from a sandwich loaf buttered
Thick chunky slices of cucumber skin on. A touch of salt.
Slap it all together and enjoy .

Reactions: Robson Valley
Mar 6, 2020
Hemel Hempstead
Cucumber sandwiches done "properly" as in for harrods afternoon tea.

White bread thinly sliced
Cucumber peeled and thinly sliced

Butter bread and place cucumber onto slice.
Add top slice, cut off the crusts, cut into triangles and arrange neatly onto tiered cake stand and serve with a good cup of tea made in a pot with tea leaves.
Donyou feel naughty when you chop the crusts off? I do.

Reactions: santaman2000

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I miss good bread. Gluten free is horrible.

Good wholemeal bread, spread it with butter, lay on mixed freshly picked mixed lettuce leaves, spread on Hellman's, wafer thin slices of dill pickled gherkins, add some sliced tomatoes, spread on some humous, thin slices of mature rich red cheddar, lay on other slice of brown bread.
Tasty, filling, all good :)
I quite like bread on it's own, but if it's a sandwich, don't skimp on the filling, don't make it dry.

Can't eat that now :sigh: and I'm not fond of those gluten free wraps. So, I'll just have the filling as a salad and have a couple of oatcakes spread with marmite with it.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Got to agree with you on the bread Mary, we had fresh brown bread this morning out of the bread maker, lovely...

Halloumi and Bell pepper

Olives and Feta with salad and mayo

Reactions: Toddy

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I do so miss bread.. proper bread.
My favouriteson are...
Italian olive bread
Granary
French batons
Garlic bread
Cheese and onion bread
Not in any particular order of preference. I used to make my own but it's not worth it now.
Gluten free... even the best is awfull, gritty claggy dry and no bread smell and that's half the joy of a good bread.
Waste of time to make and waste of money to buy.
Oh to be able to have a proper sandwich!

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Home made and very garlicky and chunky hummus with tomato or the preserved sweet red peppers in jars.

Good cheddar and lots of thin sliced sweet onion.

Egg mayonnaise and mustard cress, or watercress.

All dependant on decent bread. I’m not a fan of big chunky sandwiches unless open on toast, so a seeded rye thin cut is tasty, the bread is mainly there as an envelope. Walburtons do a heavily seeded but airy bread that suits all the above. It’s not the time of night to be imagining delicious sandwiches, I can see me hitting the cinnamon grahams or whatever they’re called now. Curiously Cinnamon, delicious empty carbs and sugar, I have a weakness for it.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Sorry for taking so long to get back. I’m having trouble getting on the site for some reason. I’ve been able to get on to at least read posts from here by going through the link on the Facebook page but it’s slow. This is my first attempt to post something and I hope it works. Thanks everybody and keep the ideas coming.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE